homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » School... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: School...
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 22, 2003 23:00      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
School is really starting to bite me in the ass, and it has developed these small, needle-sharp, venomous teeth. Every day when I get home I have enough homework to keep me busy until *at least* 10 P.M....when i'm lucky. Most of the time i'm up till midnight, and then I don't have the energy required to relax... Then my parents think I'm lazy when I just sorta sit here during the weekend. I try to keep my As for the report cards, but if I'm starting to drop in one class and I focus on it, another class starts dropping, and then when I focus on that one, the first one starts dropping again. I realize some of the older people on the forum are going to tell me "Well, in my day, we had to do 50 pages of math problems a night without a calculator", but still, I am starting to develop my school year muscle knots again. And then, added to all this, I have to deal with my family and other people-issues. Anyway, ya...just thought I might spew some of the tension out into the web...

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 05:44      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not gonna say that. I think I only had to do 20 or 30, but I was lazy and let my grade fall in that class. Really I don't know exactly what you are going through because I never had that much homework assigned to me. I did, however, have several friends whom were/are in your position. They would stay up to all hours of the night cramming and studying and doing homework. One of the things they lost was social interaction with their friends and other was sleep. However, in the end it did pay off and they had very high GPA's.

In college now, I still don't have much homework usually, but my friends are still overloaded and staying up til 2 am at least. Once again they are making sacrifices. It's something that has to be done. I am fortunate myself as I have my easy semester now but I have a feeling next semester will be much different.

So what it comes down to is, you basically have a choice, I know homework can be really draining but the grade is very important. Also, don't just sit around on the weekends, I found that by getting out and doing things with your friends helps you relax a lot more and feel a lot more comfortable and actually it makes homework a lot easier to do and understand. But then again, what do I know, I'm just some random guy you've never met before.... [Smile]

Tony Rad

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 23, 2003 06:10      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to go to grad school next fall. I'm tired of working 8-5 every day. [crazy]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 08:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MTB: You think the days are short here in grad school?

/me tilts head back and laughs

Who told you that lie?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 23, 2003 13:48      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AHA!! but the days are not forced-sit-in-front-of-the-computer
i envy you and your grad schoolness!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 14:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is true. I spend my time behind a bench instead. And since I hate sitting when I do experiments, I'm on my feet. Beats spending the day in class though. And I get to teach during the daylight hours, not straight through dinner time. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

daveyt
Geek
Member # 1522

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 19:45      Profile for daveyt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you MTB: school rock's, except for the total lack of money...no new G5 for a bit yet. During undergrad, I was on co-op, so every four months, just when you're getting sick of whatever you're doing, a nice change comes along.
The pros of school: your time is your own, you can skip if you want. The cons? LOADS of work
The pros of working: paycheck, leaving work at work. The cons? you're on someone else's schedule.
I am just finishing grad school, and although I'm looking forward to having an income again, I'm going to miss all my friends and being able to have relatively leisurely days. hmm, maybe there's a Ph.D. in my future...scary thought...

--------------------
What the..?! How'd I get here?

Posts: 115 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 21:15      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the support people. I know that hard work will pay off in the end, but I'm starting to doubt if the end result is worth the trouble I'm going through right now. I mean, really. Lower back pain at age 14! Then again, that could be solved by me getting a locker...Anyway...

TonyRad: Go out and do things with my friends? Well, I live in this suburban setting, and the city I live in is not exactly designed for "hanging out". Also, all of my friends are either the types of people who stay home and talk to me over IM, or they live 2000 miles away. I'm content with just sitting though. "Nada. Always good after a long week of yadda." - Me. Right, I have to get back to my US History homework. See ya.

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
somnabulist
Geek
Member # 2403

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 22:07      Profile for somnabulist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see, high school, perhaps sophmore or junior year? just wait, dude, it gets better senior year. teachers know you have senioritis, and they dont care about you not caring, and all the not caring allows you to turn stuff in a week late and get full credit cause your teachers just want to see you succeed. In other words, you stay up for reasons other than hw, sleep in, and no one cares.
Posts: 109 | From: in the chair | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 23:33      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep at it, school can suck, life can suck at times, but sometimes it pays off too. Enjoy the good times when they come and make the best of the bad. Grad school is turning out to be pretty decent, not many girls of interest, but if you find the right program and have the right interests you just might get paid to do it too. Not a whole lot mind you but enough to live on. Anyway good luck to you and everyone who reads this.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 24, 2003 06:11      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know i'm going to miss this paycheck i'm getting right now. I'm trying to get out of some of this debt so that I won't have to be paying on it while in grad school.
Are you grad students working too?
quote:
The pros of school: your time is your own, you can skip if you want. The cons? LOADS of work
The pros of working: paycheck, leaving work at work. The cons? you're on someone else's schedule.

I miss having my own time. [ohwell]

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 09:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orpheus and I are both Ph.D. studfents (at least, I think Orpheus is) so school is our work. Full tuition waiver plus a stipend that keeps you alive and sheltered and not much else. Oh yeah, and cruddy health insurance. Right now I am paid for TAing, but come summer and every year after I'll be a research assistant, and get paid better for it too. Technically, this means that I am faculty as well as a student. It says so right in the student directory. Funny. I feel more like a grunt than faculty.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 24, 2003 10:41      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I'd much rather be doing that than sitting in a cubicle all day! I'm so jealous.
Only 9 months... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Private i
Mini Geek
Member # 2328

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 19:43      Profile for Private i     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm basicly in the same situation as Mercury Blue. School does suck. I usually don't get home untill 6 or so now that theatre is in full swing and end up working till midnight or 1. I could ditch theatre and other extra curriculars but with out them I would end up just becoming a total recluse.

I'm not sure if this is the norm or not but my highschool has all classes in double periods, so something you woud normally take all year I have for half, and something you would take for half I have for a quarter, but 90 minutes at a time. That works out to be only 3 acidemic classes at once, so there's less to think about, but you do a school years worth of material in a few months.

Posts: 65 | From: Ipswich MA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 19:51      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of homework...
I have a paper every week for history
If you know how to do the math homework, you'll do it 10 times faster
And lockers? I find them a bother.

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 07:05      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as for the back pain get a currior bag. They hold as much and after the first week or so your back will hurt much less than a backpack. The first week is a doozy though so be forwarned. I carry 45 pounds of books around my university campus all day every day. I don't have time to return to my appartment so that is the only choice. One thing is for sure it keeps me skinny. I know I did 3 years of highschool in 3 months my senior year. That is because I goofed off for 3 years and homeschooled that senior year. I would do a chapter a day with daily tests over the material covered the previous day in 3 subjects untill each was complete and would pick up the next. I would start at 6:00 AM (yes I had to get up earlier) and would not finish untill about 10:00 PM. Sure I got a munchy break at lunch and dinner but that was it. I had no life for 3 months and am glad I did it that fast. (There are some issues with learning disorders that I had to get through those 3 years of slackin) I graduated late still but I made it and my mother (homeschool teacher) was unforgiving on my assignments. Biology was my killer as was math. I was doing well over 100 math problems a day and if I missed any of them I had to redo those problems. My mother (bless her heart) doesn't know math that well and would just erase any problem that I got incorrect so I would start from scratch again. Talk about alot of work. And if I got less than an 80% on anything it was considered an F. Talk about a hard time getting an A. well that to say I empathise with ya. I am busy now as well so Good luck and keep your chin up. It is just a time to slog through the workload.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 10:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back pain = you're not using your backpack properly. The solution is simple.
1) The bottom of the pack should not be covering your ass. That'll hurt your neck. Cinch up the shoulder straps.
2) Straps go on both shoulders kids.
3) If you're carrying the load on your shoulders, use the hip belt and cinch it up.
4) If it still hurts, use the sternum strap. And wank on things until it's comfy. If your backpack feels like it's part of your back, then it's properly adjusted.
5) Padded shoulder strap are good.
6) If your pack has none of these features and you're carrying enough that it hurts, get a new pack that you can adjust. REI, EMS, and other outdoor shops are good places to look. A good pack will allow you to carry shitloads comfortably, and if you forgo namebreands you can get one that won't break the bank (I paid ~ $25 for the one I use for dayhiking/summit pushes/school; it works great and it's the EMS store brand). With my daypack, when I adjust it nicely, I can carry somwhere close to 40 pounds without blinking. The 6000+ cubic incher I use for expeditions will handle up to 65 comfortably for me. I can pack it heavier (and I have packed it heavier) but once you hit that point, it's gonna hurt no matter what strap you wank on, and the best you can do is either pare down (which I did) and then grit your teeth (which I also did) or cry (which I also did).

Think you'll look like a dork? Think how dumb it looks to be constantly rubbing at that obnoxious crick in your neck.
Also, pack light. Doesn't matter if you're in the city or in the backcountry. Do you really need all that crap you're carrying?

I've never used a courier bag, though I've toyed with it. My back gets really sweaty under the pack when I ride my bike on hot days. My backpack hasn't been heavy lately as I keep the books I need in my lab. I've paid my dues as far as heavy packs go...my sophomore year of college one of my labmates tried to move my bag out of the way and almost couldn't lift it.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 12:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
4) If it still hurts, use the sternum strap. And wank on things until it's comfy. If your backpack feels like it's part of your back, then it's properly adjusted.

Love, since you're obviously free to do the same, you'll understand that I sort of have to do this [Smile] .

Um, that sounds like a rather curious method of adjusting one's comfort level. Won't the nearby people mind?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 12:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Love, since you're obviously free to do the same, you'll understand that I sort of have to do this [Smile] .

Um, that sounds like a rather curious method of adjusting one's comfort level. Won't the nearby people mind?

I doubt if many guys would complain. [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 15:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [blush]
I meant yank. As in grab the strap and pull firmly.

Aw fsck it, I'm only going to dig this deeper if I keep going.

Shit. I really didn't meant ot corrupt the thread. Honest.
[blush]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 16:39      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you kiss, and caress the strap before you gently pull on it you will have much better luck. You could also try a little water based lubricant to prevent chaffing the strap.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 16:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*groan*

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why proofreading is good.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 20:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*groan*

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why proofreading is good.

The same typo twice ?
And now she's groaning. [evil]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 20:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I don't see a typo in the above comment of hers. I do see a typo in the other one, but I think that can be allowed to slide by [Smile] .

TFD, *grumble* - that last part wasn't terribly nice :-/. (/me waits for uilleann or someone else to show me the blunt end of a cluestick, and tell me to get a sense of humor.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 20:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Um, I don't see a typo in the above comment of hers. I do see a typo in the other one, but I think that can be allowed to slide by [Smile] .

The same typo twice in the original posting.

TFD, *grumble* - that last part wasn't terribly nice :-/. (/me waits for uilleann or someone else to show me the blunt end of a cluestick, and tell me to get a sense of humor.)

Yes, you're probably right.
Sorry.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture