homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » ARGH! iMacs! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ARGH! iMacs!
Kt Smith
Mini Geek
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 22, 2003 00:28      Profile for Kt Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ARGH!!! Today I had to go out of my school and to another school for this survey thing. I walked into the office of the school and was shocked to see that the office's computer was an iMac. This made me doubt the efficiency of the school, but I figured that the office computer really doesn't play a HUGE part of a school.

Anyway... we(me and two friends) ventured into the school, headed for the computer room. I walking into the "computer" room and was shocked to see Blue iMac computers everywhere!!! I screamed and seached for an exit but all the doors had been locked and I found out I would have to spend the rest of my life in that room...

Ok, the stories is turning un-true, but there was a computer room full of blue iMacs. I can't imagine going to a school which used those "computers". I'm not saying my school's perfect. Stupid updating of the system has slowed down all the computers and some day you can't even acess the internet!

[rocking back and forwards on chair]
...only 3 years to go.... only three years to go
[/rocking back and forwards on chair]

(I am sorry at the length of this post. but I needed to vent. Venting is now finished.)

--------------------
Cheese, no-one can beat it.

Posts: 67 | From: Mars | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 22, 2003 00:45      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, not wishing to start anything but...

Combine all those iMacs with a G4 tower server running Macintosh Management Server and you've got a network I wish I had at work... I've done some work for a school near me and they have about forty iMacs and forty PC's ... if I want to change a setting on the PC's I have to either work out some method of letting the PC logon script run with Admin rights and fudging something in batch files or vbscripts to hack the registry or something whereas on the iMacs I go to the Management iMac, make the change there, list all the iMacs on the LAN and click the relevent area for change and then select "Change settings to be like this computer" and it's done. I can then select all the iMacs on the LAN again and click "Restart" and the room next door is alive with the sounds of forty iMacs going "Boing" [Smile]

I tell you, if the Windows 2000 network I manage was that easy I'd be a happy camper and have a lot more hair! [Wink]

--------------------
--
Yeah, what he said... but funnier.

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2003 03:48      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um so what's wrong with a school hvaing these imacs?
Our school has a ton of old compaqs (266mhz) running xp pro

I'm not even goign to talk about network security

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2003 05:45      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whiners. When I was a lad, we didn't have Internet access in our high schools. We had a few Apple // machines and IBM PCs. (Real IBM PCs. XTs, I think, or possibly ATs.) I think I saw a Macintosh once in a library. NOBODY outside of major universities and government agencies had access to the Internet at that point.

We had these things called "books". Maybe you've heard of them? They're dead trees sliced thin with ink written on them, then glued together on one edge.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2003 05:57      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
Whiners. When I was a lad, we didn't have Internet access in our high schools. We had a few Apple // machines and IBM PCs. (Real IBM PCs. XTs, I think, or possibly ATs.) I think I saw a Macintosh once in a library. NOBODY outside of major universities and government agencies had access to the Internet at that point.

We had these things called "books". Maybe you've heard of them? They're dead trees sliced thin with ink written on them, then glued together on one edge.

...an we were working down t'pit before we were even born. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2003 14:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:

<yorkshire>
When I were a lad, we never 'ad computers in school at all.
Our teacher used to get us to write our programs out on little bits o' cardboard, and that night, 'ed drive t' local university an' feed 'em through a card reader, and the next week we'd get t' results back, fix t' syntax errors, then they'd go back t' university.......
</yorkshire>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2003 16:11      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sympathies to Kt Smith, I was once forced to venture into the iMac lab the silly arts/hum people use... *shudders at the memory* Give me a real LAN, a room full of dual boot Win2KPro/RH8.0 computers any day. Granted the Win2K partition is a bit underused but its always there for us to slap Halflife/UT2K3/etc. on and uhh "test the network"

Granted, the G5's are powerful, and iBooks are pretty and easy to use... but there's nothing they can do that my computer can't that's worth buying into an even more complete and controlling monopoly. And, most importantly, for me this is the best solution.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
daveyt
Geek
Member # 1522

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2003 16:33      Profile for daveyt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wake up in the middle of the night sweating bullets thinking about Commodore PET's and that eerie green glow...
Posts: 115 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2003 20:31      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honest truth, back in high school we had a few of these CARDIACs.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 23, 2003 14:59      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but isn't this like the second worst place to bitch about macs? Have you read the comic? I mean seriously!!

I think this is just a poor attempt at starting a flame war.

<Flamewar>
That's ok, our local school district went all Windows and is now finding that they are in serious trouble. Amazing. 5 techs ran the Macs, but they are hiring tons more to support the new Windows boxes. Oh, and they aren't even up most of the time [Smile]

Real schools use Macs.

</Flamewar>
-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
XnavxeMiyyep
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2408

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 15:38      Profile for XnavxeMiyyep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My high school just got new PC's this summer, and 3 of them broke and had to be replaced before the school year even started.
Posts: 34 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 15:50      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and here's yet another thing those Macs can do that the PC's can't do... (sorry, I have blatentselfplugitis)

http://www.toysight.com

[Wink]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 23, 2003 15:57      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kt Smith & Orpheus

Little Earthlings we at GC pity you. One day if you are fortunate (and polite to us) we may induct you into The Way of Mac. Until then try not to feel too sorry for yourselves, trapped as you are in the Lower Circles of Geekdom.

Traa laa laa...

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 16:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY, In my day forty years ago, the geeks had sliderules, and the really geeky ones had two sided sliderules and they even knew how log & trig tables worked and we could only get four place accuracy that way, but hey we got a man to circle the earth.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 17:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use whatever's available. My biggest beef is that in this lab, those of us who aren't structure dudes get shafted wrt to computing. NONE of our fast computers have the imaging software I need to analyze data, and this old Mac is too decrepit to do it with any sort of effeciancy, so I use the machine in the common room, and hope no one needs to use it while I'm quantitating my data. The worst part is drawing the boxes. After that, it's all about Excel and Kaleidagraph.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 18:42      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
and here's yet another thing those Macs can do that the PC's can't do... (sorry, I have blatentselfplugitis)

http://www.toysight.com

[Wink]

Ummm... Actually, yes they can: http://www.ijen-games.com/

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 23:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
OH MY, In my day forty years ago, the geeks had sliderules, and the really geeky ones had two sided sliderules and they even knew how log & trig tables worked and we could only get four place accuracy that way, but hey we got a man to circle the earth.

Off topic, I know, but you know what really annoys me? Restrictions on selling "supercomputers" to anyone on the "bad countries" list, because they might use them to develop nuclear weapons.

The A-bomb was developed in the mid 1940's, the H bomb a few years later. There's more computing power in my mobile phone than there was in the entire world back then. If anyone wants to build nukes, it won't be lack of computer power that will stop them.

</rant>

Thank you, I feel much better now. Just go back to what you were doing.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 05:43      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supercomputers have nothing to do with making nuclear weaponry. It's all about cryptography (The Other White Munition).
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 18:32      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if you want to build a supercomputer these days, you just get a bunch of unsuper computers and hook them together. Or write a Windows virus to harness the collective idle time of the masses who wouldn't know it was being used.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
balanco00
Newbie Larva
Member # 792

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2003 15:44      Profile for balanco00   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by greycat:

[Quote]

We had IBM PC JRS (The only x86 PC that
could load programs from casette tapes and
video game-like cartridges). and one COCO in
our school. There was also a Ditto
machine (remember those?) machine in the
IBM room. It was fun hearing that thing
loudly go "Klank Klank!" as it was copying
worksheets from a carbon-paper like "master".

Posts: 8 | From: san bernardino, ca, usa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 31, 2003 23:35      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROFLMAO I never imagined the day when anyone would associate Linux with the "Lower Circles of Geekdom" there's something just not right here. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know I'm not) but OS X is built on a Unix distro, why not Linux? because then they'd have to GPL the OS and they're not gonna do that because Apple is a more restrictive monopoly than M$... though the way things are going they're catching up.

... sorry to propogate the flame war but that was just too much.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 05:48      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall...
OS X is built on the Darwin OS (apple's developmtn), and has the mach core... Parts of some BSD are throughout - NetBSD? And nextstep is littered throughout too.
It is definitely NOT linux.

OSxMan
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 11:44      Profile for OSxMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to break it to you but Darwin the Open Source Core of OS X does include the GPL License. But Quartz Etreme the graphic engine OS X uses doesn't. So the command line OS is FREE but you gotta pay for the OS and the Mac to get the Aqua interface.

--------------------
Welcome to Darwin!
[localhost:~] osxman%

Posts: 39 | From: Big Monte, CA, USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 12:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Highly unlikely. Darwin, the core of OS X, is based on FreeBSD, and would therefore be under the BSD license, which actually has fewer restrictions than the GPL (it can even be put in a commericial closed source product, so long as the license is mentioned [and possibly the authorship, but the terms are really quite liberal]). There are definitely instances of GPL'd code included in OS X (like gcc and bash, which I truly hope will be used instead of tcsh in Panther [I don't know if that was confirmed - m4?]), but the core is BSD, and under the BSD license, and the APSL (Apple Public Source License). This page has the source.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
OSxMan
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 12:24      Profile for OSxMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there is at least a version of darwin the is under GPL http://www.gnu-darwin.org/ . So if I was wrong I'm sorry but it was not off by much.

--------------------
Welcome to Darwin!
[localhost:~] osxman%

Posts: 39 | From: Big Monte, CA, USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture