homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Hooked on AIM?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hooked on AIM?
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2003 13:56      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some people to help beta test my new game, "Assassin Nation". It's web based
and requires that you have AOL instant messenger. Currently the engine and most of
the features are in place, however when it goes final I'll unviel it's graphic user
interface.

Description:
Okay, this is a backhanded assassin game that rewards people for never leaving their
computer. It's not going to be safe to be away anymore :-)

After creating an account you are given the AOL Instant Messenger name of the
person you are supposed to be targetting and you enter the game at the bottom of
the ladder. You can send them messages, or stay silent. You make the kill through the
website, which sends them an IM (Instant Message) informing them that an
assassination is being attempted. The message will include a link to cancel the
attempt, however they only have 5 min to follow the link and enter in a code to cancel
the attempt.

Upon success the person you are hunting goes to the bottom of the ladder and you
are given the AIM name of the person they were hunting, moving yourself one step
closer to being the Master Assassin.

However, if they stop your attempt, you are dropped back to the bottom of the ladder.

For more of a description and updates on progress see my project page, http://www.logichigh.com/logichigh/archives/000058.html

Kevin Lohman
Jaxom

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hanji
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2379

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2003 16:02      Profile for Hanji     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.
Sounds interesting but ... it seems to me that it would probably be trivial for a decent coder with GAIM or a similarly extensible client (AIM on OS X is apparently very applescriptable) to automatically write a script to intercept and cancel assasination attempts.

You might be be able to get around this somewhat by somehow randomizing the assassination attempt warning or by a captcha to the page to cancel assasination, but there are definite problems with both approaches.

If I get really bored, I may join and try to code a proof-of-concept, but I don't know enough about any scriptable client at the moment to do so.

Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 11, 2003 09:13      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought about that. In order to cancel an attempt you have to follow a link and enter in a code off a dynamically generated graphic, similar to what Yahoo and Ebay uses to prevent bot spamming.

I think it's pretty effective, and would be just a little more then trivial to create something that automates the process :-)

Example:

-

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2003 09:51      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oi... as fun as this sounds, I spend far too much time on AIM as it is and I don't need another reason to sit in front of a glowing screen.

Good luck [Smile]

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2003 19:44      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Punk Rawk Poet:
Oi... as fun as this sounds, I spend far too much time on AIM as it is and I don't need another reason to sit in front of a glowing screen.

Good luck [Smile]

Yeah... I use aim to talk to my roomie/people using roomie's pc. his pc is 3 feet from mine.. is that sad?

Tony Rad

mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2003 20:16      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRad:

Yeah... I use aim to talk to my roomie/people using roomie's pc. his pc is 3 feet from mine.. is that sad?

Tony Rad

Wow, i use it to talk to my brother in the other room, just down the hall, about 20 feet away, i feel much better now
-mongoose

--------------------
"information superhighway" is just an anagram for "i'm on a huge wispy rhino fart". - www.bsd.org

Posts: 141 | From: There's a NEW Jersey? | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 13, 2003 13:17      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer acoustic wireless messaging when I'm that close to someone.

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2003 13:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, and my girlfriend and I have been known to share a keyboard on IRC :-P. That can be quite interesting and amusing. Even more so when you pick the wrong IRC window, and type as your SO [Wink] . Not than anyone here has ever observed that *whistles innocently.* Other than that, no, I've never done such silliness as to IM someone so nearby.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 13, 2003 16:24      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*shamefacedly* I've called my roommate(15 feet away... but it was around the corner!) to tell him to read the im I just sent him... [blush]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2003 18:29      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... me and a female friend have shared the same keyboard/sn to talk to people. we had fun... we were both on the same chair and kept fighting.. she liked biting me that night... and her friends were watching us on cam too.. they thought we were nuts...

Tony Rad

Lumox
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2404

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 14, 2003 12:03      Profile for Lumox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--> Lumox. come n get me!

--------------------
Visit me on Gamespot

Posts: 35 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 14 posted October 14, 2003 22:42            Edit/Delete Post 
Hm... could be interesting :>
IP: Logged
XnavxeMiyyep
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2408

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2003 14:24      Profile for XnavxeMiyyep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you still be sniped if you are signed off? If so, what would happen if you signed on 2 minutes right after you signed off? Would you still get the IM, or would you be doomed?
Posts: 34 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2003 15:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, though I must admit I'm rather dismayed at your choice of nicks - the leading X (and/or Xn) triggers a "Xanthine" reaction/assumption in my mind :-/. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to it...and I quite sure I won't accidentally mistake you for her when I actually read the post...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2003 18:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just use your filter thing, dear. [Smile]
N.B.: I would say look at the avatar, but you don't use a GUI browser.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2003 18:45      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you can be sniped when you aren't signed into AIM, but you can also check whether or not someone is gunning for you through the website, so it's possible to lure more dangerous predators into trying to get you by logging out of AIM and waiting [Wink]

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2003 18:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The winner will be the first person to write a script that responds to an assassination attempt by calling the target on his/her mobile phone.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2003 06:49      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just noticed something.

XnavxeMiyyep? Well it's original that's for sure. Why can't we just go with Jim? I'm all about using the shortest name possible when I create things, normally something phonetic. The name XnavxeMiyyep just get's shortened in my head to x-nay.

</randomthought>

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2003 08:48      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
The winner will be the first person to write a script that responds to an assassination attempt by calling the target on his/her mobile phone.

Already working on it [Smile] ...plus, since my phone has internet access, I can include a link to the assasination cancellation process [evil]
Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 17, 2003 11:49      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey look!!! Its my hundredth post!!
I use ICQ only [Razz]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 17, 2003 16:03      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use ICQ, but I knew too many people on AIM, so then I switched to Fire which is a multi-chat client like Trillian for the PC... but as time went on I had less and less ICQ friends, and with the coolness of iChat, i'm now a confirmed switcher. My folks have an ibook and an isight, and I'm running a powerbook with an isight so that even when I'm far away (Navy) I can still video chat with my little bro Ben, 5years (he's the bomb)

Kevin

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 21, 2003 17:13      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

A screenshot of what I'm using for my player menu in the game... what do you think? I seem to be hampered by my inability to actually freehand draw, and end up just playing with photoshop filters and effects or outlining and coloring somebody elses stuff in illustrator. I think it looks pretty slick though.

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 23, 2003 14:54      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty, but I can't read it [Frown]

Maybe a low-graphic version?

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 06, 2003 22:35      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Version 1! Woo woo. Finally got everything stable enough to take it out of beta, thanks to uilleann and others for helping me pound out the bugs.

<plug>I know that if you love me you'll give it a try Assassin Nation.

Oh and tell a friend.</plug>

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture