homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Whee! Move complete (after much wailing and gnashing of teeth)...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whee! Move complete (after much wailing and gnashing of teeth)...
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 09:55      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see... Thursday night, Jason and I packed up the computer desks and disassembled the PCs to prepare to move them the next day. Friday, we arrive to sign the lease, and apparently there was a gas leak in our heater so they would not let us in the apartment. They are refunding us that day's rent. We decided to go play tourist in the city, so I have pictures (and if anyone wants full size versions of any of these, let me know since I've saved them):

Palace of Fine Arts
Windmills in Golden Gate Park (and some flowers)
Academy of Sciences (in Golden Gate Park... and yes, that skeleton is Lucy, the Australopithecus aferensis, and I was SO excited to get to see her up close in real life instead of in pictures)
the Japanese Tea Garden (in Golden Gate Park)

We went back to the old place and slept. We woke up the next morning and picked up the 10' truck from Budget (even though it was a Ryder truck) and awaited the arrival of everyone. I drove to the bus stop to pick up Alex (who managed to somehow squish all 6'7" of himself into my Saturn) and by the time we returned, Josh, <Gabe, and our friend Brian were all there. The move itself was pretty uneventful. We had fajitas at Chevy's for lunch and I bought some beer and such.

Moving pictures

One little problem: our phone wasn't working. None of the jacks were working. We went the entire weekend and finally today SBC Pac Bell came out and rewired our jacks so we're finally up and running. THAT was painful.

Also, we had no keys for the first 24 hours of being in the apartment. Our apartment manager finally had to have the locks re-keyed because she couldn't find them. It also took us that long to have a lease to sign. We received the paperwork and keys Sunday afternoon. We finally received our mailbox key last night.

And finally... the view from our balcony at 9am. Yep. We get to see this every morning. The fog usually burns off (not always) and the sun comes out, then in the afternoon, the fog rolls back in over the mountains.

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 10:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yay! glad it all worked out and you're in there nicely.

...nice balconies [thumbsup]

fog is cool! I love it when, sometimes, it moves into a hot sunny day, cooling it right down and transforming it into a Twilight Zone episode.

Posts: 8125 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 10:20      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
fog is cool! I love it when, sometimes, it moves into a hot sunny day, cooling it right down and transforming it into a Twilight Zone episode.

It goes well with the cows. [Big Grin]
Congratulations on your new place CG! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup]

Posts: 5851 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 11:54      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool apartment. And you got a Dreamcast! [Big Grin]

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 12:00      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow looks like OR [Eek!] beautiful

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 12:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice place. The tea garden is beautiful - I wish I had gotten over there while I was in SF 2 weeks ago. I must admit I had a bit more of a fondness for Seattle, though [Wink] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9335 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 12:31      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful place! YOu had better put up some bird feeders before I come out there and do it myself.

--------------------
That's using your brainium!

Posts: 214 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 12:41      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:

Are you kidding? I was a Sega girl throughout my childhood. I still have my Genesis. My Master System is in my parents' attic.

All the consoles that are there are mine. I have a Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX (modded), PS2, N64, and Gamecube. That doesn't count all the old consoles that I've gotten rid of over the years or my new GBA SP [Smile]

And smallerdemon, I'll have some hummingbird feeders up before too long. We have so many around us that you can literally HEAR the buzzing.

Yes, the place IS beautiful. I've never been happier with where I live. It makes me love Marin County even more.

--------------------
CyberGoddess

Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 12:47      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CyberGoddess:
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:

Are you kidding? I was a Sega girl throughout my childhood. I still have my Genesis. My Master System is in my parents' attic.

All the consoles that are there are mine. I have a Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX (modded), PS2, N64, and Gamecube. That doesn't count all the old consoles that I've gotten rid of over the years or my new GBA SP [Smile]

So I see. Sega rules. [Big Grin] Man, I suck for looking through all those pictures and deciding to comment on the Dreamcast. [Wink]

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 12:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And smallerdemon, I'll have some hummingbird feeders up before too long. We have so many around us that you can literally HEAR the buzzing.

I'm so old I had an Intellivision...KICK ASS 16 BIT GRAPHICS.

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 13:54      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to break the news to you, but I had an Atari 2600, complete with the fake wood paneling. [Smile]

-

--------------------
CyberGoddess

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 14:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, look closer at the Intellivision....It had fake wood paneling as well [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 14:44      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Hey, look closer at the Intellivision....It had fake wood paneling as well [Razz]

The monitor on my mail machine here at work (which incidentally is the machine I browse the web with) is extremely dark, therefore it is hard to make out detail in any photo [Razz]

And your Intellivision was 16-bit graphics. The Atari wasn't even that [Smile]

--------------------
CyberGoddess

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 14:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The monitor on my mail machine here at work (which incidentally is the machine I browse the web with)[snip]

Eek! We usually consider such a thing a security risk, but that's us. My boss has a rule - your fingers will be cut off if you are caught browsing or checking your e-mail on the mail server. I imagine your 'mail machine' isn't that important, but that's usually the type of thing I try and keep on a dedicated server.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9335 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 15:59      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a mail server. It's just a system that I use for email, browsing, and personal crap. I store time cards and other little files on it. It's also behind a massive firewall and is routinely scanned by IS. It's just a PII 450Mhz which runs Win2k and has Office loaded on it.

You see, I have 3 test boxes which have to remain clean for testing purposes. They can't be browsed on.

--------------------
CyberGoddess

CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2003 17:02      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Addendum:

I just acquired a Sega Saturn from work [Smile] They cleaned out the storage closet.

--------------------
CyberGoddess

zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted August 21, 2003 09:19      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you moved to Marin. Congrats! [Big Grin]
Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 10:32      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by zorgon:
Looks like you moved to Marin. Congrats! [Big Grin]

I've been in Marin [Smile] I just moved south in the same county is all.

--------------------
CyberGoddess

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture