homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Help from my Windows-using friends

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help from my Windows-using friends
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 11:43      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on a redesign of superflippy.net for a while now, but only got serious about getting it finished when I found out last week that I might lose my job tomorrow (Monday).

The template is almost finished, but I haven't had a chance to test it on a Windows machine yet. If you're running Windows, any version, would you mind dashing on over to template page 1 and template page 2 and letting me know whether the page renders correctly in your browser?

Here's how they're supposed to look: screenshot 1, screenshot 2

I would be most appreciative, and will give you props on the new homepage when it goes live.

(Oh, and don't worry about this forum not being listed under "forums" - it's on the tech page because GC is so much more than just opinion!)

Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 11:49      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they look fine to me on this horrible Win98ME machine (1024x768 rez) - I've got screengrabs I can mail you if you want.

Should also be able to get a couple of grabs off my work machine tomorrow if you like (Win2Kpro, 1600x1200rez)

PM me with an email address if you want the GIFs.

[Smile]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 13:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, they look fine on Phoenix (no, I haven't upgraded to MozillaFirebird yet :-/) under Debian - and I'll take a look on IE6SP1 under XP later today.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 14:34      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good on a win98SE IE6.0 at 1024x786. This machine has muchas blowage and the site still looks good.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 14:39      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for taking a look at it for me, everyone. I really appreciate it. I need to put at least some pages up with the new look tonight, as I'm applying for two jobs online.

quote:
This machine has muchas blowage
Hee!
Shapeshifter
Geek
Member # 2105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 16:55      Profile for Shapeshifter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks fine on Windows 98SE, 32bit 1024 by 768, using Mozilla Firebird v.06.

--------------------
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying.
-Woody Allen

Posts: 152 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2003 20:12      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone. The new design is live ! (Only in 3 places on the site, but hey, it's a start.)
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 05:52      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey SF!
Thanks for the "nod" on your site, I'm flattered...

Just one thing - your avatar (top left hand corner) is smack dab in the middle of (= over the top of) the 'personal' link on the menu bar - well, at least it is on my work PC - will have another look from home tonight.

That aside, love the design, though - eye-catching but easy to read and navigate, the net needs more sites like that.

[Smile]

Also forgot to say I'm using IE6 on both machines.

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 06:37      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an odd horizontal line which sticks out in the bottom left and bottom right rounded corners.

-

Apart from that, it renders beautifully in Mozilla 1.4 (which I'm sure you already knew).

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 07:09      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent a pic of what it looks like on my machine as I was also having the "ava" over the personal link.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 08:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SuperFlippy:
I'm having problems with it on IE6SP1 on Win2k - the "SuperFlippy" icon is floating over the menu bar - that is to say that the menu bar is not to the right of the icon. I'll try and make a screenshot of that. Of course, it works fine on MozillaFirebird on the same Win2k machine...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 09:06      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! *That's* more like it!
(You fixed the floaty avatar/ menu bar thing!)

So... tell us, it was a feature not a bug, yes?
Or was it just to make sure we were paying attention? [Wink]

Either way, it's looking good from here - wish you lots of luck with the job hunt, keep us posted?

[Big Grin]

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2003 10:50      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...but it's still not right in the Opinion section... [Frown] (avatar/menu bar collision)

(via IE6 on Win98ME at 1024x768 rez)

...sorry...

Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 14:20      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fixed the opinion page last night, it should work now.

greycat, I'm not sure why the margin isn't lining up on the Redesigning with Rounded corners page in Mozilla. All the other pages supposedly use the same code, and their corners look fine. I actually built that page mostly using Mozilla for testing, so I must've done something between then and now to screw it up. Thanks for catching it.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2003 14:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Professional/Portfolio" page doesn't work quite right in either MozFirebird or IE6SP1 (both on Win2k), and the problem should be pretty apparent - CSS mangling, and insert of HTML &| Javascript.

Also, you really should add a link for the 'Tech' page, even if it goes to a temporary 404/under construction page.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture