homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » japan or bust

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: japan or bust
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 12, 2003 22:55      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone been to these places? we have it down to these two options for our trip in sept (first one to japan) we would like to see the tech things as well as shrines/temples etc
any suggestions on places to stay, things to see or what trip to take would be awesome!

1)
4 nights Tokyo(day trip to Kamakura 1 day)
1 night Hakone
2 nights Takayama
4 nights Kyoto (day trip to Nara 1 day)

or
2)
Enter through Osaka-Kansai airport
Kyoto 5 nights (1 daytrip to Nara)
1-2 days Himeji, Kurashiki, Setonaikai (inland sea)
4-5 days Shikoku island (Takamatsu, Kochi, Naruto)
Return to Osaka-Kansai by boat from Tokushima ...

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 13, 2003 02:39      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see you've made up your mind to go but aren't exactly sure how to go about it [going]. This will be a new thing for someone who has never been no matter whitch way, so does it matter?
I really dont thin it does , this time. pick a random tricp, or the one thats cheaper/easier if you like and go for it. Once you have expirence under your belt, then you can decide for yourself based on that if/when you take another trip.

but personally, I talked to some people here who when on leave to mainland and in the end thier major collective oppinion says you should take the second trip. [Smile]

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2003 07:47      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that in the larger cities (Tokyo) gaijin aren't as welcome. Job stealing foreign barbarians looking to infect us with their culture, sort of thing. Lots of places that you can't go because you are foreign.

On the other hand, smaller places apparently like foreigners because they are exotic. A friend of a friend teaches english in a small japanese town. One time there was a wedding and they wanted to pay her to stand and greet the guests.

But I've never been there (yet) so this is all hearsay. Tell us what you think when you get back [Smile]

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2003 10:37      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
everyone i have talked to who has lived there or been there is saying trip 2- so I should listen to that- although you bring up a good point about it all being new and unusual anyways..

--------------------

rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2003 08:10      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 - Tokyo's a dense, crowded city with sprawling gridlock traffic that moves at a snail's pace. While you might get a few minutes' enjoyment out of experiencing the Neuromancer-like ambience of some of the shopping districts, my advice is to spend your time elsewhere. Kyoto's a fabulous place -- in the sense of being fable-like. You'll be walking down a city street with neon signs, the roar of cars, and bustling business men, then turn a corner and instantly be in the serene tranquility of a Buddhist temple. There's nothing like it.
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2003 14:29      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah we are going with option two for SURE!! now we just need places to stay and train/air tickets!

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2003 23:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, the only suggestion I can make right now is
take me with you !

Please, work is driving me mad right now, I really need a break. A nice holiday would work wonders. Any rich philanthropists out there want to buy me an air ticket?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2003 11:07      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you buy the ticket, you can come..
from the USA a ticket is about 500-600 bucks

Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 11 posted July 15, 2003 11:15      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by addiew:

2)
Enter through Osaka-Kansai airport
Kyoto 5 nights (1 daytrip to Nara)
1-2 days Himeji, Kurashiki, Setonaikai (inland sea)
4-5 days Shikoku island (Takamatsu, Kochi, Naruto)
Return to Osaka-Kansai by boat from Tokushima ...

That sounds like a much more adventure-laden trip. I've never been to Japan, so I would not know what to expect, but just from looking alone, I'd say this one would be more fun, because of the smaller locales to visit than the megalopolis Tokyo.

That's just me, though.

However, please, have a LOT of fun on your trip, try to upload pix as soon as you get back and write us all about it!

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2003 11:19      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osaka was incredibly cool...for the hour I was there on layover for my flight to Bangkok. The airport had nice architecture. [Smile] Also, seeing japanese game shows while actually in Japan zinged my heartstrings.

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture