homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What things make you cry? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What things make you cry?
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 08:13      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
I bawled my eyes out most of the way through City of Angels, but that was in the middle of a nervous breakdown.

I laughed at the end. Does that make me a bad person? [evil]

Of course, I also laughed when Shao Kahn broke Johnny Cage's neck in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

So, I guess I am a bad person (even if I do own a copy of Milo and Otis).

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 08:25      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What doesn't make me cry would be a much shorter list.

well, ok...

Dead animals in the road
Abused animals
Mind-blowing orgasms
When the twins were born(my niece's)
When my 3 month old nephew was in the hospital
Certain things that remind me of my father
Most Tom Hanks movies
Tragic Opera(like there's another kind?)
When spungo loosens the ligatures

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 08:39      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Triumph over adversity' movies with really happy endings... unrealistically, fantastically happy [Smile]

Certain songs ( [Happytears] )

Thinking about losing people I love... just the idea of it.

Certain songs ( [weep] )

Other people crying... I can't see anyone cry and not cry myself, for some reason.

Knowing I've let someone down, or that I will let them down.

Panic... particularly stress related panic, due to work.

Frustration.

Being thousands of miles away from someone I miss more than anything.

Things that people say about me... I know it really shouldn't bother me, but it stings so much when they're hurtful.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 5 posted June 17, 2003 10:05      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
Hmmm, for me it's probably limited to a few various sappy things, Episode I (it just had SO much potential...
and sucked!),

Erm, as tongue-in-cheek as that was, you didn't cry. You complained and were mad, irritable, agitated, and disgusted. No tears, though.

quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
and when I found my little one had cancer.

Not in front of me. As I recall, you were angry at me when I was crying, even when I wasn't around Pooh, because he could sense I was upset -- although you were right, I was really mad (at the time) you wouldn't let me grieve. Of course, since grieving involves loss, I needed to focus on non-loss... sorry, that's ni ici ni la.
I do remember, however, that you got teary when it hit us that the chemotherapy was all over and he had survived. I expected the end to be more climactic... that the doctor wouldn't've just rattled off the next 8 years of visits and shrugged. I sort-of wanted a synopsis, and maybe a "I'm really happy we all could work together to make this succeed."

Eh, oh well.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 11:03      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Slurpy:
I laughed at the end. Does that make me a bad person? [evil]

I hope not, because Josh laughed too. [ohwell] In the movie theater, then stopped quickly because he realized that no one else thought it was funny.

He also laughed when Thelma and Louise drove off the cliff at the end of the movie.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 11:22      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been offline for a couple days and wow... I've been reading this thread and I want to say thanks to all of you. Some of the things that have been shared are intensely personal, and I'm sure, not easy to re-live, much less write about. As was said in another thread, hugs all around.

While I do cry from more traditional causes, difficult emotions make me cry. Intense stress, frustration, anger. People close to me often misinterpret the tears or don't understand when it happens because none of those things are about sadness or depression. I have cried at the usual things too, like sad movies, when it was feared that my son (then an infant) was epileptic, and so on. On the other hand, some things have not made me cry and that's surprised me. However, intense fristration and stress gets me every time.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 10 posted June 17, 2003 13:46      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I keep posting in here, but I just wanted to add...

I'm an aunt (again!). My brother-in-law in Eurrope sent an announcement e-mail and a photo of my nephew, and now I am all weepy over his sweet little face!

[Happytears]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 13:57      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
I know I keep posting in here, but I just wanted to add...

I'm an aunt (again!). My brother-in-law in Eurrope sent an announcement e-mail and a photo of my nephew, and now I am all weepy over his sweet little face!

[Happytears]

Jess

Congratulations! [Happytears]

Start a thread about it so we can gawk and coo and make little girly noises over the pictures!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 15:15      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing. I'm past that now.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 16:07      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a raw onion shoved up my arse
Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 19:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about a rank hunk of cheese?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 20:07      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, my Skylie asked what my post was supposed to say, and now.... Ladies and Gentlemen.... A better version of what I promptly deleted last time.

Guy shouldn't cry, it's not manly.... J/K [Razz]
Seriously, I don't cry at death in general, execpt if it is someone really close to me. I view death as a part of life, and I know that I will see them again somewhere/somehow. Movies and books have to be really powerful to affect me. I have a tendency to bottle things until I can get to a “safe spot” and then deal with a laundry list of things at a time. It probably isn't healthy, but it works for me. Most of tears are shed in this way, talking to the wind that carries my words to the heavens, to the farthest seas and mountains and to the ones that I care about.

I too, like my Skylie, do shed tears when the distance between us seems to become too much to bare... but the then I realize that just having her love me, and loving her makes that distance seem minuscule, and I dry my tears and head back into the world.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 00:51      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
What about a rank hunk of cheese?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(of course i would never abuse a piece of cheez like that)
and please, no jokes about me being a rank hunk of cheez

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 01:48      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twinkie is the only thing I ever remember making me cry for real.. I used to cry, but, it was more because it kept people from bothering me about the fact that I didn't cry, because 'it's supposed to be sad' [Roll Eyes] ... Anywho, I cry sometimes because it becomes to much to bear, being away from her, or she says something that really hurts me, or I think about something that happened in the past... But, in the end, I always wind up crying for one reason alone: She loves me [blush] .. I've never felt loved before in my life [weep] ... I wind up crying myself to sleep occasionally now, but by the time I fall asleep, it's usually because I know just how much she really does love me [Smile]

There's really only one thing I hate about our relationship, and that's the fact that I don't like being dependant on her... But I can't help it, if she hadn't come along, I probably wouldn't be alive right now.. Then, on the other hand, if I hadn't come into her life.. Well, let's not think about what she would've done with herself, when I met her she had a lot of issues to deal with...

Depression and Stress, medically speaking, I suffer from both...

[devil wand]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2003 03:15      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
He also laughed when Thelma and Louise drove off the cliff at the end of the movie.

Ha! I like him already [Smile] .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted June 22, 2003 15:30      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Dreams May Come
Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2003 08:39      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that movie was so depressing. [Frown] I couldn't even watch more than the first 20 minutes before I had to leave the room. If I ever have too big a case of the happies and I just have to kill it I may put that movie in again.

But probably not.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2003 09:05      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that movie was pretty tough. But the end made it all worth it. [Happytears]
Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture