homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » The Vegetarian recipe thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Vegetarian recipe thread
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 21:35            Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say "lacto-ovo" (dishes with dairy and or eggs) and vegan dishes, just nothing with meat, fish or foul, but then I didn't start this thread, but I have not heard any complaints about my dishes that include dairy.

I will be putting my recipe for "mock chicken noodle soup" up this weekend as I plan on making it and want to give semi accurate measurements [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by unclefungus:
I have to ask, is this tread just normal vegetarian or does it go beyond that into the vegan life style where any thing that even looks like it may have wanted to com from somthing that could of been alive at one time is considered wrong?
The reason I ask is because I can cook alot of things that invovled eggs and milk or the ingrideints aer made from animals but are not neccessarily meat, should those recipies get posted here? and if not where does the line get drawn?

IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 15:57      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
DG4's Pasta-Potatoe spectacular?

See pictures here:
http://stonewallcs.com/users/jon/050603dinner/

I was wondering what that stuff was. *writes recipes down furiously* Keep going, this stuff sounds great! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 19:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking lacto-ovo. No animal flesh, seafood and chicken included.

*Xanthine notices both her contributions are vegan

Maybe I'll post that bread recipe...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 20:05      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xanthine:
Only if it's a broad bread recipie (broad ingredients [Wink] )

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 20:07      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
DG4's Pasta-Potatoe spectacular?

See pictures here:
http://stonewallcs.com/users/jon/050603dinner/

I was wondering what that stuff was. *writes recipes down furiously* Keep going, this stuff sounds great! [Big Grin]
Ah, but that time I forgot to throw tomatoes in the blender, so I just added them while i cooked the pasta, and i had no sun-dried, so i just used that, and it came out rather well indeed.
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 10, 2003 20:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potatoe?! Are you related to Dan Quayle? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2003 20:26      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Potatoe?! Are you related to Dan Quayle? [Big Grin]

You say potato, i say potahtoe... [Wink]
or should i say
you say potato, i say potato
you say tomato, i say tomato
potato, potato,tomato, tomato.. [Wink]

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 10, 2003 21:15      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's call the whole thing off... [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2003 16:05            Edit/Delete Post 
Mock Chicken Noodle Soup

1 - Veat brand "Vegetarian Breast" cubed - www.veat.com
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
2 potatoes, diced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 jar or can of sliced mushrooms
2 TBS McKays chicken style instant broth (contains MSG)
2 - 32 oz boxes "Imagine" brand no-chicken broth (or 1 box no-chicken and 1 box vegetable broth)
1- bag "Reames" brand frozen home style egg noodles

Add all ingredients to soup pot EXCEPT noodles and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover leaving open slightly to vent and let simmer for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender.

Add noodles and let cook for another 30 minutes

You may need to add more water and or McKays instant broth to taste.

serve and enjoy!

Leftovers are even better as the noodles soak up lots of the broth, you may need to add more water to the leftovers as it gets quite thick overnight.

I put what brand broth and noodles I used to help, but you may find other brands in your area. I have used canned broth too, but do not recall the brand.

gallimaufry
Geek
Member # 1549

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 02:02      Profile for gallimaufry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have gotten some really yummy and healthy recipes from this site. Also their few recipes that involve meat are actually good to read for adaptation and meal ideas.

web page

--------------------
la de da

Posts: 154 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 03:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vegetarian recipe:

Take one lean vegetarian, remove sandals and kaftan. Starve for 48 hours - to make sure all those frigging, God-awful lentils are out of his/her system. Shave excess body hair. Rinse well (the duration of which varies, according to nature of veggy - if it is one of those manky, swamp-dwelling, road-protesting, soap-dodgers, this may take some time). Then behead with extreme prejudice. Remove brains with an ice-cream scoop - make sure you achieve a satisfying 'schlurp' sound as you extract the grey matter ( you may as well get some pleasure out of this process!) Lightly fry brain stem in some garlic and cumin. Serve on toast - to another veggy that you've drugged earlier. Sit back and have a good laugh. Stick the rest in the oven until nicely roasted - then chop up and sell meat to nearby dog-food factory.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 10:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bean dip (gaseous maximus) [Smile]

2 cans vegetarian refried beans
8 oz bottle of taco sauce (whatever brand/heat level you like best)
4 oz of chunky salsa (whatever brand/heat level you like best)
1 finely chopped white onion
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix everything in a bowl, then microwave for one minute, stir, then microwave for another minute. Repeat the microwave/stir cycle for as long as it takes to melt everything and get a more or less homogenous mixture. Serve hot with tortilla chips. If it's not spicy enough, add a couple teaspoons of cayenne pepper and heat and stir some more. Also makes a halfway decent bean burrito filling.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2003 06:14      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
requires: a good heavy cast iron fry pan, firm tofu, Italian dressing, a tiny bit of olive oil (range hood and fan suggested)

Drain and cut the tofu in half parallel to the cutting block, then in half again vertically to make 4 3/4-inch thick cutlets about the size of the screen on a Palm Pilot. Press water out of tofu for at least 5 minutes while being careful not to break the cutlets apart (I place the tofu between two plates with a paper towel and a gallon water jug on top.)

Drain excess water from the tofu and cover with Italian dressing either in a bowl or zip-lock bag. [At this point, carnivores can simply throw the zip-lock bag away and order out :-)]

Let tofu sit at room temperature while you rub the pan with a few drops of oil on a paper towel and heat up the pan on the stove set on 2/3 heat (medium high). When the pan begins to smoke, drain excess dressing off the tofu, salt and pepper both sides, and carefully place in the pan. Cook in batches if the cutlets won't all fit in the pan without touching.

Pan sear the cutlets 4-5 minutes per side, moving them only to flip them. Cut into slices and eat as you wish: over pasta and under sauce, with oven-roasted onion, bell pepper and cherry tomatoes, in a sandwich with ketchup, on a salad, etc.

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted May 14, 2003 06:22            Edit/Delete Post 
Spungo:
Mmmm...tasty ;-)

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2003 13:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, these recipes are waay too healthy. Allow me to show you all that we aren't just a bunch of granola-munching skinny people. [Wink]

Xanthine's Sesame Chocolate Chip Cookies:

1 cup butter
3/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
~2.5 cups flour
2 cups (1 12 oz. bag) chocolate chips
1 cup white, untoasted sesame seeds (though the black ones might be good too!)

Combine the butter and sugars. Food processors are nice have, otherwise some muscle will be required. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well. Add the chocolate chips and sesame seeds. Place drops of your desired size on ungreased cookie sheets at desired intervals. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown (8-10 min in most ovens). Yield: I can get ~ 3.5 dozen, but if you want bigger cookies you're going to get less.

Also works without the sesame seeds.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2003 18:28      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally gotten around to making Xanthine's veggie chili recipe. It's burbling in the cauldron even as I speak. (Okay, this is a silly post, but I wanted to bump this thread back up to the top [Smile] )

[Update: Mmmm ... Nummy!]

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2003 14:46      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone else have any good receipes?
I have a few suggestions

when making lasgana sub. firm tofu pieces for the meet (cook tofu in marinara first)

greek salad:
1 pint tomatos
1/2 red onion
fresh basil to tase
olives
oil and vinagear

cut up and mix and your done!

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
trillianastra
Mini Geek
Member # 1526

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2003 15:35      Profile for trillianastra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spinach Avacado Portabellos or S.A.P. until I think of a better name.

Get some large portabello caps, 1 for each person you intend to serve. You'll also need some seasoned vegetable stock, to which I recommend adding a few cloves of crushed garlic, some olive oil, and a little oregano.

Stuff the portabello's with a mixture of:
ripe avacado, mushed(these are technical terms here, folks)
frozen spinach
garlic powder
crushed red pepper
ricotta cheese
black pepper
parmesan cheese(fresh, the stuff in the can has no flavor, and should only be used to grit a path)
For four people, I use about half a cup of ricotta, 6 oz of spinach, one avacado, 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper, and three heaping tbsp of parmesan. This is all, of course, approximate.

Put the portabellos in a baking dish filled with your seasoned stock, and bake at 375 for about fifteen minutes, or until your Goop (more technical terms) browns on the top.

note: This sort of thing is what you get when you combine cooking with a few bottles of a good dry wine. I've got a recipe for grilled red peppers stuffed with eggplant that happened much the same way.

--------------------
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity."-Heinlein

Posts: 80 | From: Bad Place TM | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2003 16:50      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PB's Amazingly Good and Amazingly Cheap Split-Pea Soup!!!

Yes it is incredibly cheap. Josh calculated that is cost about $0.35 per 1-cup serving. The original recipe comes from the 1975 Joy of Cooking, but I have altered it a bit for my tastes.

Simmer 1/2 cup split peas in 2 1/2 cups water for about 45 minutes or until they are tender.

(The original recipe calls for 1 cup chopped pork sausage, omitting it doesn't harm the flavor any, but if you like the taste of meat, just not eating it, there are some very good veggie "sausages" out there that are good substitutes.)

Other ingredients you will need:

1 Small sliced onion (Peebs uses only 1/2 onion since she doesn't like onions and doubles the garlic [Razz] )
2 diced ribs celery with leaves
1 clove garlic *yummy*
1 chopped carrot
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar (any form will do)
pinch of rosemary
1/8 teaspoon pepper

When the peas are cool put all the stuff in a blender and blend until smooth. OR if you like your soup thicker and with big pieces of the vegetables like me, put half of it in the blender and blend until smooth.

Return the soup to the saucepan (and add the rest of the vegetables too if you are going for the thicker version). Rinse the blender with 1 cup of water and add that to the soup.

If you blended everything, heat it for about 10 minutes.

If you only blended half of it, add 1/8 cup or so flour (to thicken it) and heat it for 30-45 minutes. Shorter if you like crunchy vegetables, longer if you like soft vegetables.

And there you go!

I find that the soup is best served with some freshly grated parmesean on top and a fresh tortilla on the side.

As a matter of fact:

Homemade Tortillas

2 cups flour
1 - 1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt

Mix well. It should be moist but stiff enough to hold it's shape. Divide into about 12 balls. Press each ball between wax paper until a thin, round cake is formed. Peel off wax paper from one side and place on a hot griddle. Remove the other piece of wac paper. Cook until edges begin to curl and they are slightly browned. Turn and cook until puffs appear. (Note: If you use wheat flour it will not puff.)

Bon Appetit!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2003 18:58      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a found a really good site with quick 'homemade' meals not all veggie but there are many which are

http://semihomemade.com/cooking.htm

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2003 12:19      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm ... I'm cooking X's mom's chili again. Nummy!

Here's a recipe I discovered a short while ago. It purports to come from Africa (which is like saying a recipe comes from North America -- I mean, Africa's a big and diverse place). It's called Maharagwe, but I have no idea what language that is. The recipe looks awful, and as you are making it, with each ingredient you add, it looks more and more unappetising. But trust me, it's great. The recipe says to eat it over rice, which I recommend, but you can eat it over bread as well.

----------------

Yield: 4 servings

1 Onion, chopped
1 c Black-eyed peas, cooked
3 Tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 ts Turmeric
1 ts Chili powder
1 tb Cilantro or Parsley, chopped,
1 1/2 c Coconut milk
Oil
Salt

Heat the oil in a large, deep pot. Cook the onion gently until it is golden and soft. Partially mash the cooked peas with a fork and then add to the cooking onion. Add the tomatoes and mix well.
Put in the turmeric and chili powder, and half the cilantro.
After that, pour in the coconut milk, stirring to blend all the ingredients.
Cover the pot and leave to simmer for 10 minutes before garnishing with the remaining cilantro. Serve over rice.

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2003 11:08            Edit/Delete Post 
Gravy

I found this recipe online, all I did was substitute the broth with non-meat broth.

1 cup bouillon broth (chicken style or beef style)
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper

1. In a small saucepan heat mix cold broth and cornstarch with a whisk.
2. Add butter, onion powder, salt, and pepper.†††
3. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2003 13:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Non meat broth??? That is fucking disgusting.....

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2003 19:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually veggie broth is quite good. But in the end, it's all a matter of taste. If you don't like meatless food, stay out of the vegetarian recipe thread. [Wink]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2003 20:12      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick and oh so tasty pasta prep. I use this concoction over the fresh tortelini/ravioli that comes in pouches and you need to boil a bit first. So not a vegan dish but veggie with the 4 cheese or spinach raviolis.

I'm used to cooking for one but this usually is 2 meals/servings for me.

Dice a tomato chop up a garlic clove or a shallot, combine into a bowl drizzle with some olive oil add about a tsp of thyme, maybe some basil (fresh if ya can but dried's good too) and mix them all up (Kalamata olives also make a good addition)

once pasta has cooked strain and add a pat of butter to keep things from sticking, plate and shred some parmesan cheese (there is no substitute for the real stuff, seriously try it) spoon some of the tomato concoction over and add a little more cheese and voila dinner.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture