homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » cats, dogs, female companionship (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: cats, dogs, female companionship
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 09:46      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So for the next few days the rest of the family is away and it's just me and the cats at home. They're sticking pretty close to me, and not just because I'm the Source Of All Food. At least, I'd like to think so. [Smile]

Last night I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep and keep breathing at the same time, so I ended up face down. (Spring, allergies, sinuses - you don't want to know the details) The big cat jumped up on the bed and parked himself next to my head.

The little girl cat jumped up, parked herself in the small of my back, and started doing that cat thing with the paws. Since we've had her on a diet, she can't put quite as much pressure into it, but it was still an unexpected bonus.

While I have nothing against dogs, I can't quite picture one going out of their way to give me a back massage. [Smile]

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 22, 2003 09:54      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am more of a cat person. I never met a cat I didn't like, but I tend to take dogs on an individual basis.

The kitty massage thing is cool too, except mine do it with sharp, sharp claws. You are lucky. Although isn't it fascinating how such a small animal can manage to take up an entire bed? I can't tell you how many times I've ended up on the floor because of my cats. [Smile]

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 10:32      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got cats in the house and they aren't nearly that friendly. We used to have one that would go out of his way to be petted and loved and sit on your lap, but he shed a lot, had fleas, and sprayed everything so we got rid of him. The other two cats we have tolerate the humans living in their house as long as they are fed.

I think the next pet I get will be a dog. Perhaps a labrador/retriever mix...

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 10:37      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A labrador is a retriever.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 10:40      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
...I think the next pet I get will be a dog. Perhaps a labrador/retriever mix...

You should get one of these. They make lovely pets.

-

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 22, 2003 10:40      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a chesapeake bay retriver and 2 cats; my cats are both really loving as long as the dog isnt around.
Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 10:49      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two all white cats... their sisters from different litters. One with yellow eyes and one with blue eyes... They are sooooo cute... [Razz]
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 11:48      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
A labrador is a retriever.

Any other kind of retriever would do as well. I just don't want a purebred. Mutts are healthier. [Smile]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Noldoaran
Geek
Member # 2003

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 12:47      Profile for Noldoaran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also more of a cat person.

I used have a white cat with a patch of gray on the top of her head. She was a very friendly cat. She was also pretty tough. She has killed birds, and brought them to our door on more than one occasion. One time she even chased a (small) dog out of our house. The gate to our back yard was left open, and so was the back door. The dog just walk right into our house. My cat really beat it up. She jump on it and clawed it. The poor dog was crying, "arr arr," and running away as fast as it could.

Now my brother has a cat, but she isn't nearly as friendly, or as tough. She's never been able to kill a bird..

BTW, spungo, what is that thing?!!

Posts: 228 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 14:25      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
We used to have one that would go out of his way to be petted and loved and sit on your lap, but he shed a lot, had fleas, and sprayed everything so we got rid of him.

Having a cat speutered takes care of that, 97% of the time (the spraying part). Dipping them in clorox takes care of the fleas, and shaving them takes care of the shedding [evil] . Now go find that cat!

quote:
First posted by Robb [treborus]:
One time she even chased a (small) dog out of our house. The gate to our back yard was left open, and so was the back door. The dog just walk right into our house. My cat really beat it up. She jump on it and clawed it. The poor dog was crying, "arr arr," and running away as fast as it could.

Just wait until you see a 10 pound cat riding on the back of a 90 pound German Shepherd, hanging on by just his claws while the dog tears ass down the street [Eek!] . I laughed so hard I almost peed in my pants.

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 14:38            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 22, 2003 16:11      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like cats because they're nice and fuzzy, but they tend to be less affectionate than dogs. Thus, a good, clever, silly mutt usually does the trick for me. Our current mutt is called Norm, and he's a blink dog (see DnD Monster Manual 3rd edtion... [Wink] )

-Oz

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 22, 2003 16:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice looking dog Ray! [Cool]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 17:00      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've been drinking as it is a friends birthday and can't remember if I've posted this before here.
Anyway, a great quote I once heard about the difference between a cat and a dog is:

If you bring a dog in out of the rain, it will think that you are god

If you bring a cat in out of the rain, it will think that it is god

Apologies if this is where I heard it...

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 22, 2003 19:17      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow-kudos, spungster! I saw the title to this thread and shuddered to think what you would do with it...

Who said you had no self-control? [Big Grin]

(The sad thing is-I was kinda disappointed. [blush] )

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 21:04            Edit/Delete Post 

raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 21:19            Edit/Delete Post 

neo
Geek
Member # 539

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 22:38      Profile for neo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to talk to cats and dogs when I was a kid...ummm...What did I just say?
Then, I'll ask them:
"Hi!"
and they'll say...
"I'm hungry"
I don't know what's wrong. They always give me the same answer. hmm..

--------------------
~What lies do you believe?~

Posts: 187 | From: freedom land | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 14 posted April 22, 2003 23:53            Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting snupy:
Wow-kudos, spungster!

Yeah, his picture made me laugh (along with a cute dose of "wtf?") - nice one, spungo [Smile]

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 02:38      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should clarify, U - I stole these recent pictures from b3ta.com.

{I'm never really sure on the nettiquette of pinching someone else's images - citing it each time would be tedious, but then again, not doing so seems wrong... I dunno... }

--------------------

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 07:10      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to put my cat into detox. [Frown]

beautiful dogs raydreams!

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 07:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way his little eyes move! [Smile]

--------------------

cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 09:35      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
I had to put my cat into detox. [Frown]

beautiful dogs raydreams!

lol, fantastic sosumi! [Big Grin]

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 09:36      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I love the way his little eyes move! [Smile]

i thought you preferred bulgin' eyes?

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 09:40      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheezi - you should check out more right here. They're the dog's bollocks! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture