homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Spring in North America (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spring in North America
xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 17:40      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I live, we've been going through what I've started to call the Winter from Hell. Over a hundred inches of snow and it won't quit.

Last week the temperature got up around 70 degrees F - grass turned green, snow melted. Friday April 4, woke up to freezing rain and a coating of ice on everything. It continued through Saturday. Trees around my house had at least half an inch of ice on the branches - and we started getting snow and sleet. Thousands of people in the area were without power. Ours was out most of Friday and Saturday.

Now this isn't all that big a deal normally. Stuff like this happens up here - it's just that it's been going on for months!

So today, the sun finally came out. It didn't get all that much warmer, but it was a definite improvement. This afternoon as the sun got low in the sky, magic happened. Most of the ice was still on the trees, and as it got back - lit by the setting sun, it was like living in a forest of glass. I'm including a link to a largish picture which should give a small idea of what it was like. Crystal Illusions

I suppose if there's a moral to this, enjoy what you can while you can. No guarantees on tomorrow.

xaxnar
4-6-03

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 17:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing happened to me. But I live on campus, wehere power never goes out and classes never get cancelled.

You live in Monroe County? Wayne? Livingston?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 17:58      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where quite do you live?
I was in Vermont this weekend
Friday it snowed
Saturday it snowed
Today was great
We got arround 2 feet of snow
http://stonewallcs.com:83/~jon/ski2.jpg
It was really nice
Tommorow I don't think we'll have school [Smile]
(Down in southern connecticut)

xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 18:12      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it happens, I live up in the hills outside of Albany, NY.
Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 18:13      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xaxnar:

ah cool...
Do you ski?
oh, and nice avatar [Smile]

xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 18:49      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I don't ski, though I can appreciate that picture you have. As for the avatar, it's the guy in charge of getting hair in my keyboard.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 19:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I didn't know you guys got hit. We've been too busy feeling sorry for ourselves to notice. [Big Grin]

Goddammit! I just want this fscking winter end! It's April!! We're supposed to have rain showers, not ice storms!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 19:46      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

I didn't know you guys got hit. We've been too busy feeling sorry for ourselves to notice. [Big Grin]

Goddammit! I just want this fscking winter end! It's April!! We're supposed to have rain showers, not ice storms!

First we're supposed to not have school tommorow
THEN we have rain showers [Smile]

SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 20:36      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:

you could have one like that too if you became a superfan [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 20:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[First we're supposed to not have school tommorow
THEN we have rain showers [Smile]

Oh stop. At least your classes get cancelled. Universities are like the postmen - rain, snow, dark of night, ice, sleet, fire, war, anything goes and we still have class (except 9/11/01 - they closed down at noon that day). Actaully, we're worse than the postmen, because post men get Federal holidays, like Veteran's day, MLK Day, and President's day.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2003 22:39      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
quote:

Sigh...................with $8 dollars Australian per week, plus converting rates, plus transaction costs, it looks like i'm not going to be a superfan for at least 2-5 years...... [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 03:00      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] We just get out at 11:44 today
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 03:26      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GeekAvenger:
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
quote:

Sigh...................with $8 dollars Australian per week, plus converting rates, plus transaction costs, it looks like i'm not going to be a superfan for at least 2-5 years...... [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
i was referring to mr4 but blah man that sucks

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 05:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Frown] We just get out at 11:44 today

Grr, officially no word yet - we'll probably get out in the afternoon. Like Xanthine said, universities closing because of snow is rather uncommon. At least we have a large number of commuting faculty. I don't know why I came in today, I don't have class. I should just tell my (tutoring) students to not come. My job would not fall apart if I didn't come in today, but I guess it will be a quiet day in the office then. However, I do need to register for classes, but that won't happen if my prof. doesn't show up - though I can call and e-mail him otherwise :-D.

Anyway, I, the *optimist* declare this to be a sucky day.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 08:45      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

How can anybody who lives in WNY feel sorry for themselves about snow fall? X, isn't that part of the program?

This from somebody who is moving to Boulder, Co?

I recall living in Buffalo one winter. Brought my X-C skiis I had in swouthwestern Michigan, but had turned useless in Cincinnatti. I was fully expecting to ski all winter long in a park near where I lived. And except for one weekend -- nada.

I was told, "That snow in Buffalo the rest of the country hears about usually falls in Rochester or Orchard Park. The land bridge protects us a bit from lake effect.

Now dear, we live in snowy areas and grow to accept it. At least it's not boring with that same old warm weather folks get in Miami.

However, complaining about 90/90 days in midsummer, after a winter of snow and cold, that is not only acceptable, but required.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 08:57      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in SE Minnesota we are getting a lot of huge snow flakes. It is worse to the south, where most schools are closed. Last Tuesday it was somethjing like 74 degrees F.

There were a few snow days when I was a kid (in Wisconsin), but none from grade 7 on.

My freshman year on the Sunday after Thanksgiving we got a big snowstorm all UW campuses closed Monday EXCEPT UW-Madison and my school UW-Platteville. Professors could not make on campus from in-town , how did they expect us students to make it 100s of miles? (since most went home for the holidays). My High School did close.

January of 99 we got a foot+ of snow, UW-P actually closed (course I had already graduated)

Brian
in summary: snow days onlay happen after I leave a school

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 10:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colonel, I'm from Seattle. We don't get this kind of crap where I'm from. My first winter here was kinda sucky - cold, snow, etc. THe next two were decpetively mild - dark and rainy mainly. What I'm used to. This one started in November. We had snow everyday in January and the early part of February. I almost forgot what sunshine was. Between the dark and the cold I got depressed. It sucked. Even the natives were complaining. And then that fscking ice storm...man, I got my ass handed to me at the ambulance this weekend. People were getting cold, running out of home oxygen, having anxiety attacks left and right.

Boulder boasts 300 sunny days/year. Anything has got to be better than this.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 18:18      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bad news for all of us in new england- here in MA and CT we are suppossed ot get another 6-8 inches tonight. this winter will never end. ever. it will snow through july.
Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2003 18:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's snowing in Rochester too. Attendance to my late chem workshop was down because no one wanted to face the weather.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 07, 2003 22:22      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, I guess you guys don't want to hear about the lack of snow up here in B.C. then. All the tire shops in town have sales on right now for switching off the snow tires for summers. The last of the snow melted about a month ago, and except for some frosty mornings, it's been pretty warm lately.

...of course having said that, it'll probably snow tomorrow. [Smile]

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
technosquirrel 101
Geek
Member # 1738

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 03:55      Profile for technosquirrel 101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here in northern germany the weather has gone totally haywire like usual in april, only that this year it's even a little stronger than before.

one minute the sun shines, bright blue sky, the other minute we got lots of clouds and it's snowing. just before you recognized it to be like that it begins to rain and a few minutes later everything starts over again...

that's what i call predictable weather... [Big Grin]

Posts: 142 | From: the "XMS Memory", cabin 934, C-Deck | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 04:15      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't get much MORE over the night, but it was enough to delay school by 90 minutes [Smile]
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 04:39      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a bit off the topic-
101- wo in Deutschland wohnst do? Wie kalt ist es im Winter da? Ich ziehe nach Deutschland um, und ich habe Angst vor dem Kalt.
translation: how cold does it get up there in northern germany in winter?

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 06:43      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, northern Germany sounds just like northern Ohio (and other areas south of the Great Lakes, including Erie, Rochester, and to a lesser extent Chicago and Detroit). When the wind blows from the south, we get all this warm air; when it blows from the north we get cold air from Canada that gets even colder as it blows across a nearly-frozen Lake Erie. Spring is utterly chaotic here because of that.

In the fall, it's just the opposite. We have "Indian summer", because if the wind comes out of the north, it gets warmed up by Lake Erie which still retains the heat it acquired during the summer. And if the wind comes out of the south, then it's warm. So fall just rocks. [Wink]

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
technosquirrel 101
Geek
Member # 1738

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 10:42      Profile for technosquirrel 101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by schnurren:
wo in Deutschland wohnst do?

at da mo i'm living in klausdorf, a suburb of kiel, schleswig-holstein's capital.

quote:
Wie kalt ist es im Winter da?
well, usually temperature around here doesn't drop below 20°F(~-5°C) but we also had winters with less than 0°F(~-18°C). fortunately that's more the exception to the rule. you can count with the first value. (the gulf stream's responsible for a rather warm climate in northern germany)

more to the south temperature drops to possible -20°F in bavaria or baden-württemberg. but usually winters are rather short in germany. sadly we don't have 'indian summers' like greycat mentioned more or less autum's quite rainy and cold... [ohwell]

p.s. it's 'die Kälte' not 'dem Kalt' [Wink] but your german's quite good.

--------------------
...this post was brought to you by technosquirrel 101. - "who said i had a plan?"

Posts: 142 | From: the "XMS Memory", cabin 934, C-Deck | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture