homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Ongoing research for Dept of Rectocraniology

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ongoing research for Dept of Rectocraniology
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2003 17:30      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to think that "Our Stupid Lives" was harmless entertainment, but reading my newspaper today I was surprised to discover that we are engaged in serious academic research here. Recent events surely highlight the dangers that stupidity poses to us all, so I think we should encourage the development of this academic discipline. To that end I would be interested to see if forum members could,

suggest possible future areas of research

or posit any additions or corollaries to Cipolla's Laws of Human Stupidity.

We need to give this a gloss of academic respectability, so I aso suggest we find a name for this subject, as no one would want to admit to studying stupidity or stupidology. At my business when we thought that someone truly had their head up their bum, we said they were suffering from recto cranial inversion, so my initial suggestion is rectocraniology. Any other ideas?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2003 17:36      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I for one have never been judgemental about those with their heads up their arses... I mean - think of the possibilities that sort of suppleness may afford?

For a name... what about Dubya-ism?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2003 17:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or Blairism - the ability to believe whole-heartedly in a flawed purpose when every sensible voice around you is telling you otherwise.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 29, 2003 21:24      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
suggest possible future areas of research
I assume that for legal reasons we would have to stick to non-destructive testing?

(kinda takes the fun out of it..."here, hold these scissors and run over to that railing there...")

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2003 21:49      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, give Blair a break. I've seen him on the C-SPAN channel when he has to speak in the House of Commons. Christ, that takes knowledge of your facts. Bush wouldn't last 2 minutes.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2003 01:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Complacentology. People love the path of least resistance. Unfortunately, this path tends to be the most stupid one. It's so easy not to think. THe human capacity for greatness is exceeded only by the human cpacity for pure, unadulturated idiocy. Like darkness, stupidity lurks in the hearts of all.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2003 14:28      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though I quite like Cipolla's definition of stupidity, I think the other 4 laws are.. well.. stupid. For a start I think the percentage of stupid people is much higher possibly even 100%. I haven't met anyone, however wise who does not act stupidly from time to time. Some exceptional people manage to learn from their mistakes, thus avoiding doing the same stupid thing over and over again, but most of us have areas in our lives where we do not seem to be able to control idiotic impulses. And at the bottom end of the scale there are a few people too stupid to realise how stupid they are, and a much larger number who for reasons of pride or vanity try to kid themselves that they are not stupid and certainly cannot bear to admit it to others.

--------------------

schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2003 19:50      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hirnlosigkeitwissenschaft

muetologie

the study of people who recognize the irony in a situation but aren't phased by it and don't act on it.
e.g knowing that the alaskan wilderness is being destroyed by consumerism, so driving up to visit it in a chevy Tahoe (and feeling mildly ashamed of it and drastically overcompensating in conversation to the point where the people they are talking to are embaressed for them-yet still driving the tahoe) and not to mention cranking up the heat in the hotel room....

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2003 20:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
...I think the percentage of stupid people is much higher possibly even 100%. I haven't met anyone, however wise who does not act stupidly from time to time.

This is why my dad told me to never let my guard down. After dropping my guard a few times and dealing with the results, I decided it was advice worth heeding.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 13:49      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Complacentology. People love the path of least resistance. Unfortunately, this path tends to be the most stupid one. It's so easy not to think. THe human capacity for greatness is exceeded only by the human cpacity for pure, unadulturated idiocy. Like darkness, stupidity lurks in the hearts of all.

I like the name complacentology, X, but doesn't it study the path of least EXISTANCE?

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 14:39      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though I quite like Cipolla's definition of stupidity, I think the other 4 laws are.. well.. stupid. For a start I think the percentage of stupid people is much higher possibly even 100%. I haven't met anyone, however wise who does not act stupidly from time to time. Some exceptional people manage to learn from their mistakes, thus avoiding doing the same stupid thing over and over again, but most of us have areas in our lives where we do not seem to be able to control idiotic impulses. And at the bottom end of the scale there are a few people too stupid to realise how stupid they are, and a much larger number who for reasons of pride or vanity try to kid themselves that they are not stupid and certainly cannot bear to admit it to others.

Perhaps. But why stop there. Why not elevate this theory into a more complete field of inquiry?

Let's begin with a basic hypothesis that all humans have a capacity for stupidity.

Some never reach full capacity. While others do.

We can have one measure of stupidity:

We can stipulate that the value of one's own stupid capacity is an index that predicts the relationship between stupid activity and the individual's own death as a result of that stupidity. A 100% stupid action would predict death. A 50% value would predict a 50% chance of death.

Or, there may be different kinds of stupidity, with the stupidity described above only one kind which I will name "deadly stupidity."

We could have "relationship stupidity," "driving stupidity," "eating blueberry cheesecake Hagen Daaz until 3:00AM in New York City and going out for more stupidity." Each kind of stupidity would have its own effect on personal mortality, with some forms of stupidity having extremely low risk of jeopardy, while others carry very high price tags.

We could develop a stupidity matrix, and eventually a complex mathematical algorythm to describe total stupid effect; contemplating many variables such as long-term effect of the stupidity, casual vs. serious effect of stupid behavior, etc., social and anti-social effects of stupidity.

Voting for Bush is stupid, but is it a different kind of stupid than a fellow who tests his reflexes by seeing how long he can hold onto a lighted stick of dynamite? For an accurate answer more study is needed. First off, Will W volunteer for the dynamite study? Will people who voted for him volunteer? How many?

See how this works. It's like asking "Mikey" only more fun.

I say I start with D^1 is a value for deadly stupidity, where 100 is a value of D^1 which describes 100% chance of mortality as a result of stupid behavior. D^1*100= Death.

LK^1 is a value for locking ones keys in one's car. By itself it cannot = D^1*100, however, combined with other forms of stupidity, it may cause a more macabre result.

Imagine LK^1*100 (Locking one's keys in one's car 100% of the time) is combined with an ill-advised trip in a terrible blizzard (FMAO^1*-32F) And during the trip the person stops to help a wounded Polar Bear and her two cubs(SHWPB^1^2) which, btw carries a D^1 value itself of 93. Written literally, LK^1*100*FMAO^1*1*SHWPB^1^2 = (or exceeds the D^1*100 value, which is practically impossible, since one cannot be more than 100% dead) this value would lead the level-headed researcher to predict iminent death due to stupidity.

The science here would need to study and to factor the varying weights of the variety of forms of stupidity so that predictions based on the numbers would accurately describe fatal, or lacking fatal consequences, humorous or near-humorous, events.

Interesting science. I believe we have enough geeks in the forum to make this a completely fascinating, complex, yet arcane field of study.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 15:13      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colonel, you are a genius! A very stupid one admittedly, but I am in awe! [crazy]

--------------------

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 15:38      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Colonel, you are a genius! A very stupid one admittedly, but I am in awe! [crazy]

I can almost smell the grant money flowing in. You?
[Big Grin]

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 18:44      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely recall a quote that seems apropos here, something about "Stupidity is a capital crime" - You hear that one out in the Belt.

Someone else had an observation that is also rather discouraging. If you consider how stupid the Average person is, remember 50% of the people are even dumber than that.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture