homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What determines "moved" for a geek?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What determines "moved" for a geek?
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 10:40      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So seeing as how I'm moving soon, I'm wondering what determines the point at which a geek considers himself moved?

• I'm dialed-up?
  • broadband connected?
  • home servers online?
  • first post to the forums?
  • first time watching the ScreenSavers?
  • first spam received?

Your thoughts? What makes a geek's new house his home?

=DB

...better have TechTV... all I can say...

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 11:08      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that a home is defined by the following:
  • Broadband
  • Decent cable
  • Home Server online
  • bills
That being said, it turns out my house isn't a home [Smile] (we miss out on the decent cable)

Where are you moving to?
Staying in Florida?

xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 18:51      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure. In one sense I don't move at all (Remember, no matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai). In another, I can't stop - I keep slipping into the future at 60 seconds to the minute.

Snails have got it knocked. Where ever they go, they're always home.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheOnlyShey
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2075

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 19:29      Profile for TheOnlyShey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're moved when you're connected to the internet (somehow), have all the furniture mostly in the right place, and are sitting down to the first real meal.

btw, hi guys. Been lurking a while, but this is my first post. [Smile]

--------------------
The wind is a terrible thing to waste.

Posts: 2 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Noldoaran
Geek
Member # 2003

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 20:47      Profile for Noldoaran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xaxnar:
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai

I don't like that quote, ITS NOT TRUE! If it was true that would mean that the is never any travel time. As soon as you go some where you'd be there.
Posts: 228 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 20:47      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheOnlyShey:
I think you're moved when you're connected to the internet (somehow), have all the furniture mostly in the right place, and are sitting down to the first real meal.

btw, hi guys. Been lurking a while, but this is my first post. [Smile]

Hey! Welcome TheOnlyShey! I'm glad my humble thread drew you out into the light! Don't be afraid... just sit back and enjoy!

=DB

...hoping for a Airport Extreme connection... and a nice piece of beef...

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 13, 2003 22:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in that exact position right now, having just transfered the internet connection to the new place, I am tempted to say that it's that which defines the move. However, NitroKitty is due to arrive here tomorrow, and I think that's when it will truly seem like home here. [Smile]

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2003 04:04      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
However, NitroKitty is due to arrive here tomorrow, and I think that's when it will truly seem like home here. [Smile]

Cats can sometimes cause problems when you move house.

About 15 years ago with my pregnant wife and 1 year old daughter I lived in a ground floor flat in a small mansion block in central London with a black cat called Wally. The block where we lived had emergency major repairs done to it (Dry Rot) the previous year, which meant all the owners of the flats had raised substantial sums to pay for it. For a while I had been trying to coordinate these repairs. Sadly diplomacy and tact are not my strongest suits, so between trying to get those who wanted to spend no money at all to see reason, and trying to get others who wanted no expense spared to have consideration for their less well off neighbours I had managed to fall out completely with everyone concerned. So we decided to move. My wife soon found a family house in the suburbs that we both liked.

Shortly before we moved we visited our new house to make final arrangements with the seller, who was still there. We noticed he was feeding a very old unhealthy looking cat in his garden. He told us that he did not know where it came from, and we told him we had no wish to adopt it when he left. Anyway all arrangements went well and soon the day came and we were moving to our new home, all the while my wife imploring me that come what may, I was to try my hardest not to fall out with our new neighbours. The morning after the move I returned to work and my mother came to help my wife unpack some of the crates. Suddenly they noticed that the old stray cat was still hanging around. A decision had to be made, and they took the cat to the vet. After examining it, the vet said that it was old, in very poor health, almost blind, and not much could be done for it. My wife and my mother both returned to the new house feeling quite depressed with the vets promise to "take care of" the old stray ringing in their ears. To cheer themselves up they went out into the back garden to enjoy the afternoon sun. They heard one of the neighbours calling in their adjoining garden. A moment later a woman's face appeared at the fence. "You haven't seen our cat have you?" she asked.

Yes, within 24 hours of moving in we had murdered the next door neighbour's cat.

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2003 13:47      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Broadband, computer....the rest of my house doesn't really matter, so I wouldn't really notice a change.

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2003 14:04      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not home until the broadband is up.

But you're officially considered moved once the free AOL disks start showing up at your new place with your name on it.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
enthalpy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2045

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2003 18:25      Profile for enthalpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not really one for unpacking right away, so the ethernet would be hanging from doors, tripping you in the living room, and coiled up next to the toilet. But once its all online, even if over dialup, I've moved.

--------------------
- jwm

"Some electronic components are now so small that more time is spent looking for them than using them."

Arthur C. Clarke

Posts: 12 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2003 12:20      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moved milestones:

1. First tray of ice cubes is done
2. First message on voicemail
3. First email received

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2003 12:54      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First crap for me!

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2003 16:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't count Smeg....you are still in diapers

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2003 21:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Bike is in a safe place
-Computer is online
-Mountain pics are up on my wall
-Bed's made
-Dinner's on

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2003 03:22      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
That doesn't count Smeg....you are still in diapers

so first change of diapers then? [Razz]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2003 09:24      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not in Dypers... ahum...

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2003 09:33      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
It's not home until the broadband is up.

But you're officially considered moved once the free AOL disks start showing up at your new place with your name on it.

Colonel Panic

LMAO!!! Good one, Colonel [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 9 posted March 19, 2003 07:10            Edit/Delete Post 
A little bit... unfortunate... there, Callipygous...
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture