homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What are YOU giving up for Lent? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What are YOU giving up for Lent?
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 12, 2003 12:18      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that so many people had so much to say about this subject! [Razz] Cool, though! [Smile] BTW, I'm hosting a church social this Sunday on the Luminous Mysteries. (I swear, I'm not making this up, it's a new decadent of the Rosary that Pope J.P. II added last year.) So this makes life a little more interesting now that I have some more things to talk about. I'll be incoorperating some of this stuff into my talk. [Smile] Damn, I'm thirsty. I guess I'll get a drink now.

---Yeehaw!, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2003 14:39      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, from a purly acedemic veiwpoint, it is correct to classify most christians as polytheistic as the holy book mentions a being that is within the realm of goddom... No, not christ, as most christians believe in trintiy Jesus would be a part of god. The argument is that Satan is a God of evil, in that he rivals the force of God, and wages war with God... If even a lesser God, and manifestations of a false idle, due to the belief that he is still not defeated would mean that he is not a God, God is not all powerful or else Satan is a human construct. Here again, we have to be careful how we assign labels.

Moreover, catholics obsessions with right dates is that they want to place their holidays as close to those of rivial religons, in hopes to gain followers. The bible is also a translation, from which most of the original texts have long since decayed. I think that it is important to place personal logic and personal emotion above the athority of a orginization. That is one of the teaching of Christ (There is evidence that he exsisted, weather or not he was the son or manifestaiton of the higher I do not need to decide), as illustrated in the practice of silient prayer and tolerence "judge not, lest ye be judged." It is the misuse of the words of this man that has lead to meany people to death, and why I stand on a soap box and ask people to question why they believe what they believe. I have no problem with whatever you believe, as long as you came to the conclution on the count of some personal spirtual path, or if it is" this is what is because that's what I've been told all my life."

While I understand the belief that fasting and giving up desires strengthens the soul... I would argue that it isn't neededly the case. That fits along the same lines as "what ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" when indeed there are a lot of things that won't kill you but certianly won't make you stronger. Going without can teach certian lessons, but more important is the lesson of forced over endulgence. Ever get sick from eatting to much sweets? Learn not to over enduldge from it? They are diffrent methods of teaching the same lessons... and different people will resopond to different methods. As is the same with religons, there are multipule paths to the same end, and sometimes there are different ends to the same path (depeinding on how you walk it).

I'm rambling, and ranting on a soap box, but it seems topical enough... I suppose I should stop now though anywho as I don't wish to approach flame bait.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2003 19:59      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Did you hear about the guy who gave up masturbation for Lent? He couldn't wait until Palm Sunday! [Big Grin]

Anyone here seen the movie "40 Days and 40 Nights"? It's a romantic/comedy (uh...I saw it with another certain person who insisted...) about a guy (Josh Hartnett) who gives up everything in any way sexual during lent....

Oh yeah, I didn't say that I liked the movie, it just happened to be on-topic...

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2003 20:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
Anyone here seen the movie "40 Days and 40 Nights"? It's a romantic/comedy ... about a guy (Josh Hartnett) who gives up everything in any way sexual during lent....

Wasn't that the prequel to "Gone in 60 Seconds?" [Eek!]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2003 22:24      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
Anyone here seen the movie "40 Days and 40 Nights"? It's a romantic/comedy ... about a guy (Josh Hartnett) who gives up everything in any way sexual during lent....

Wasn't that the prequel to "Gone in 60 Seconds?" [Eek!]
Uh, I don't think so.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 00:15      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... joke too subtle. Must try more blatant joke next time [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 11:10      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
...Must try more blatant joke next time [Roll Eyes]

Good idea [Wink]

--------------------

xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 18:45      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not giving up anything specifically for Lent. As long as entropy continues to increase, I expect that more than covers it.

Hmm. If you're supposed to give up something for Lent that really matters to you or that your really enjoy, would giving up religion count if you were truly devout?

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2003 18:59      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xaxnar:
I'm not giving up anything specifically for Lent. As long as entropy continues to increase, I expect that more than covers it.

Hmm. If you're supposed to give up something for Lent that really matters to you or that your really enjoy, would giving up religion count if you were truly devout?

Good question...kind of confusing though... [ohwell]

--------------------

Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2003 12:02      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xaxnar:

[tired] No.

---Wired and Tired, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 19, 2003 14:36      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would probably more appropriately go in the joke bank. However, I feel with the topic being what it is I wanted to share it here.

Ready for Lent?

John Smith was the only Protestant to move into a large Catholic neighborhood. On the first Friday of Lent, John was outside grilling a big juicy steak on his grill. Meanwhile, all of his neighbors were eating cold tuna fish for supper. This went on each Friday of Lent.

On the last Friday of Lent, the neighborhood men got together and decided that something had to be done about John. He was tempting them to eat meat each Friday of Lent, and they couldn't take it anymore.

They decided to try and convert John to be a Catholic. They went over and talked to him and were so happy that he decided to join all of his neighbors and become a Catholic. They took him to Church, and the Priest sprinkled some water over him, and said, "You were born a Baptist, you were raised a Baptist, and now you are Catholic." The men were so relieved, now their biggest Lenten temptation was resolved.

The next year's Lenten season rolled around. The first Friday of Lent came, and just at supper time, when the neighborhood was setting down to their tuna fish dinner, came the wafting smell of steak cooking on a grill. The neighborhood men could not believe their noses! WHAT WAS GOING ON?

They called each other up and decided to meet over in John's yard to see if he had forgotten it was the first Friday of Lent. The group arrived just in time to see John standing over his grill with a small pitcher of water. He was sprinkling some water over his steak on the grill, saying,

"You were born a cow, you were raised a cow, and now you are a fish." [Big Grin]

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Johnny
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2086

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 19, 2003 16:42      Profile for Johnny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CrawGator,

Nice joke! I LOL'ed. Anywhoo,

As for the topic of this thread:

Why do you ask what we would give up as if we had a choice?

isn't the default sacrafice meat? Maybe i'm not such a well informed catholic [Confused]

-Neohex

Posts: 12 | From: Chicago | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2003 10:16      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rule, if I remember correctly, is 'no meat on Fridays', and something else pleasurable to you must be given up all 40 days.

Ooh..that reminds me, it's time for the "Peter, Peter" joke again, isn't it??? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2003 01:23      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arround these parts fish isn't counted as a meat, and most people give up meat on fridays and something else... So, was born the tradition of Fish-fry Fridays. That is that all people who would be eatting handburger and soda at home, go out and eat beer-battered fish, have a few beers and Poka will their blue in the face. EEeeesh, I wonder if there is a higher consentration of german blood out side of germany than in Wisconsin (particularly south eastern Wisconsin)?

*for no appearant reason begins singing "roll out the barrel"*

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture