homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Need to sleep...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need to sleep...
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 14, 2002 12:54      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My stupid life involves a lot of insomnia apparently. I'm sure you programmers and code junkies can relate to having a series of 36 hours stints where sleep must be avoided at all costs. So much to do, so little time....

My dilemma: I've actually leveled off my workload for a while and I have time to sleep, but I think I've been too efficient in training myself not to. Insomnia ensues and it's killing me. I don't even want to go into the kind of stuff that's on network TV a 4:13 in the morning. What do the rest of you do to cope with this problem, if it is one? My friends keep telling me to down some NyQuil or Tylenol PM, which I could understand doing if I were sick, but taking a pseudonarcotic for non-medicinal purposes just isn't my thing.

So weary....

--------------------
Is there any tea on this spaceship?

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
erp
Assimilated
Member # 602

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2002 14:50      Profile for erp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm glad it hasn't affected you TOO much. Someone really struggling might've posted something like...

"I just downed a whole bottle of Nyquil. My friends told me it would help with my insomnia....it's not working. Any suggestions?"

[Razz]

There are a couple of things I can suggest for this problem....

1. Find a book on a topic that you absolutely find excrutiatingly boring. And I mean REALLY boring, but that you can actually read. And read it. Usually it'll work after about 10 min.

2. Try relaxation/breathing exercises. There are tons of types and versions, just find something you find mildly effective.

3. Seek the advice of a medical professional. Sometimes they can give insight.

4. Then therer are the standard rules that apply after about 6 p.m:
-no caffeine (of any form) [Frown]
-no cigarettes [Frown]
-no strenuous physical activity [Big Grin]

Anyway, studies suggest a regular exercise routine improves sleep IMMENSELY, and I would have to agree. I don't know, it all depends on so many factors, you gotta stop and think about it for a while.

Also, I don't know if you're religious or not, but studies also suggest that prayer can aid easing into sleep.

I do wish you the best of luck. I am well aware of the detrimental effects chronic insomnia can have on all aspects of your life.

Rock on man. Rock on DREAM STYLE!

--------------------
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Posts: 484 | From: beneath the Gables of Coral | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 14, 2002 15:00      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do Bene Gesserit need sleep? [Razz]

seriously, try lying down under some blankets. Not being sarcastic, it works.

-Oz

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2002 15:29      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oz, the Wizard of:

seriously, try lying down under some blankets. Not being sarcastic, it works.

-Oz

Really? I must just be weird then [Roll Eyes] .
Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2002 18:01      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oz, the Wizard of:
-Oz

Of course. If you're tired it is harder to pass the gom jabbar.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrPepper
Geek
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 15, 2002 00:18      Profile for DrPepper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go for a walk or jog a few hours before you want to go to sleep, after dinner is usually a pretty good time (that way you get out of doing dishes).
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2002 05:35      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a hot shower quite soon before you go to bed. Oh, and a nice cup of hot milk works a treat too (and I think that's scientifically proven [Smile]

sky

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2002 09:11      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot. Instead of editing my post I accidentally clicked quote.

Well, the warm milk method has been scientifically proven, but I don't care for the taste of it myself. Unless there is chocolate involved.

There are non-prescription sleep aids that don't have any pain medication in them. Unisom is one I remember the name for, but there are plenty of generic ones, too. You could also try taking Melatonin, a hormone that aids sleep.

Assuming you don't want any pharmaceuticals in your system, and I couldn't blame you, regular exercise does help long-term, but for the short term I suggest taking 15 or 20 minutes before you go to bed to unwind, relax and let your mind sort through things from the day. An overactive mind is one of the leading causes of insomnia (it's true, I heard it from a friend whose mom told her who read it in a science magazine). Or you could try self-hypnosis.

And something that is very helpful long-term. If it is possible, do NOT use your bed for anything other than sleep. Don't lay on it to read in the day, don't sit on it to watch TV. Nothing. Eventually your body will be "programmed" to recognize getting on the bed as time to shut down.

Hope you get to sleep. :yawn: Darn! There isn't a yawning Graemlin.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2002 12:46      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep? What's that? 80 hour weeks working on testplans for the next few months means no sleep for me either. 'Tis the price for selling your soul to Lucas. [Razz]

I can sympathize, that's for sure.

Still, when I have trouble reading I try reading something really really boring and it usually does the trick for me. Either that or working on my webpage until my eyes just can't focus on the code anymore.

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2002 13:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try downing a half a bottle of Jack Daniels.....after a few years of this technique you won't even get a hangover. [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
invisikitty
Mini Geek
Member # 1764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2002 13:25      Profile for invisikitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chamomile tea works wonders for me...actually, any hot tea, so long as there's no caffiene in it...

--------------------
"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively,
there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we
are the imagination of ourselves.....Here's Tom with the weather. "

Bill Hicks

Posts: 98 | From: ...under the couch.... | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2002 13:37      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Chamomile tea is a great. I also like a cup of jasmine tea before bed as well with a bit of honey in it.
Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2002 14:34      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I work out, sometimes that gives me insomnia. Argh! I just take my laptop to bed and get something useful done.

I'd rather take a sweetie to bed and get something else done. That does help me sleep, but I don't have that option at the moment.

These days, if I have to get up early, I use a damn alarm clock. And I just keep using it until my bioclock adapts to it.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2002 19:22      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eh any tea is good with me...
even highly cafinated teas (like chai)

SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2002 11:25      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celestial Seasonings makes a Sleepytime Extra, or something like that, which helped me when I was having some really bad bouts with insomnia.

It's not that you aren't tired, it's that you can't *sleep* and I found that anything that relaxes me helps. The hot shower is great, especially in the winter, and then getting in warm snuggly jammies (I put mine on the heater in the bathroom while I am in the shower.)

Also, if something is bugging you, get up and deal with it. It's better to spend the 30 minutes than to lay there for the next 2 hours thinking about it. Go jot down the new idea that might solve the problem in your project, go VPN in and send that email (my boss doesn't even wonder when he sees an email from me timestamped 4:00 AM anymore) or go do the dishes.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2002 12:11      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I get insomnia, I start playing Warcraft III. I usually wake up in the morning to find all of my units dead.....

Seriously though, There is this herb called Kava Kava or something like that....awesome stuff, works great for me.

-SM

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
genesis
Geek Larva
Member # 1809

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 16, 2002 23:00      Profile for genesis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that a surefire cure for insomnia is this herb stuff called Valerian. . my mom, my bro, and a good friend of mine all use it and say it works. . .

I'm just stupid and usually do nothing about my insomnia except sit up all night til 6 AM when I either fall asleep with my powerbook as a pillow or collapse into bed, totally exhausted. .

The crummy thing for me is that I can't get any sleeping pills of any sort to work. . (if and when I try them, usually worst case scenarios, lol) So no NyQuil or Tylenol PM downing here. . ::sigh:: (Yes, I Have tried ;P)

I find that listening to music (any kind, even freaking TECHNO works for me, heheh) and lying under lots of warm blankies is the most helpful thing. . . and oddly enough, strobe lights relax me. . but,. .enough of my weirdom. . . [Wink]

--------------------
This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper.

MrMachineCode
Alpha Geek
Member # 609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2002 14:56      Profile for MrMachineCode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than teas like green tea, mint, lemon, etc., I don't like herbal remedies that much. Took St. John's Wort for insomnia once and it gave me a hangover the next morning. When I've been having bad insomnia, my body get's used to a certain duration of sleep, rather than a schedule, so that if I've been getting 3 hours of sleep every night for a while, when I do finally start getting to sleep early in the night, I wake up 3 hours later anyway.
Posts: 314 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2002 18:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll sell you my social psych book. Or tape an astronomy lecture for you. [Big Grin]

Exercise might help. Work out enough and your body will put you to sleep.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
genesis
Geek Larva
Member # 1809

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2002 21:01      Profile for genesis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A hangover? lol, aw. . . Sounds like my mum. . she gets hangovers from nyquil. [Wink]

--------------------
This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper.

Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2002 12:50      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by weensicka:
My stupid life involves a lot of insomnia apparently. I'm sure you programmers and code junkies can relate to having a series of 36 hours stints where sleep must be avoided at all costs. So much to do, so little time....

So weary....

If you have some time around Thanksgiving perhaps getting into the habit of getting in bed and getting out of bed at specific times will also help. A few days of this usually seems to help when I have had gotten 4 hours a night of restful sleep.

You can also have someone give you a nice back massage as this tends to releave a lot of the stress and tension which can keep one from sleeping. [Wink]

I hope you are able to get rest in soon. [Smile]

-Shadow

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 25, 2002 18:42      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice! I've found a cure: yoga before bed. I used to do it in the morning to get in a good mindset for the day, but since it's so relaxing it's really helped with the insomnia. So those of you who seem to have the same problem might find relief in this. Thanks again for the help!

Oh yeah, and I've done the Jack Daniels thing...never, never again. [Smile]

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture