homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » You may have noticed I was gone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You may have noticed I was gone
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 18:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to make this short, since I'm still pretty exhausted and not able to stay awake for long, but some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around for the past two weeks.

Two make a long story short, it started with me going on vacation and returning home with a case of what I assumed was the flu, but which wouldn't quite go away. After 10 days, it turned into complete renal failure and my kidneys completely shut down. It took me several more days to recognize the seriousness of my condition. At that point, I was close to dying, but got myself to an ER at the local hospital and they've checked me in. I've been in the critical care unit ever since. I've been on dialysis three of the last four days and they're giving me blood transfusions to build up my blood levels, which were far too low. They also did a biopsy on my kidneys, but the results from that still haven't come back so they're still at a loss to explain my sudden renal failure when I have no history of problems of the sort.

So there you have it. I probably still won't be around a whole lot because I don't have great access to the internet from the hospital, plus I'm really tired, but I felt I should toss something out here for everyone who likes me.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 21, 2002 18:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh my! I really hope you're feeling better soon Steen... yikes!
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 19:39      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you feel better soon.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 21, 2002 19:51      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, get well soon! I hope it's not the West Nile virus. [Eek!]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 22:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. That's horrible. Best of luck to ya Steen.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 23:09      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you get better soon, Steen.

--------------------
Janeway--
Author, Artist, and Dreamer Extraordinaire

Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 22, 2002 02:11      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you make a swift recovery, Steen! Good luck!

Tom

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 03:14      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
feal better!
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 04:30      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yow! Sorry to hear it Steen. Keep us posted, we'll keep praying.
Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 04:59      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stuck at home with a cold myself, but that's nothing compared to you and Audrie. [Frown] Take care, get well.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 05:38      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck and get well Steen.
Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 06:19            Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed - let's hope you soon recover from this. Best of luck.
IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 22, 2002 07:45      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get well soon Steen.
Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 22, 2002 10:27      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw man, that really sucks. I hope you a had a good time on your vacation, though. Thanks for letting us know, I really appreciate it. Take care, get lots of rest, and I hope the doctors over there do thier very best in finding out what happened. Get better, you have to, you're under Nitro-orders. Anything we can do to help?
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 12:19      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get well soon Steen!

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2002 14:48      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, I am sorry to hear that, and sympathies. Dialysis is better than the alternative but it's still a hell of a drag.

(My aunt was on hemodialysis for five years, and I once worked for a dialysis machine maker).

Bloodwise, the next pint is on me.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2002 17:23      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the subject, and I was thinking this would be a great post to in which to say "who are you, again?"

However, the mood isn't right, so get well! Maybe the humor will help... hmmm...

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2002 17:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick note to say thank you to you all. Even though they're just words on a screen, it helps to know people actually do give a damn about you and reading the responses has really given my spirits a lift when I most needed it.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2002 19:35      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really missed you around, Steen. It's good to see you posting again, even if you can't do so much. I hope you feel better soon, and that you figure out what exactly it is that happened.

Much love and warm wishes,

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 23, 2002 19:48      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be well soon, Steen.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 17, 2002 09:25      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know how Steen's doing? We haven't heard from him in awhile.
Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted December 17, 2002 10:02      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, true, we have not, and I believe it's a bad sign when someone does not choose an avatar. Where could he be...

I know there was a topic devoted to this, but...

Nitrozac! Snaggy! Is Steen still around? Alive and kick'n?

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 17, 2002 20:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steen is around, he even popped into IRC the other week. He has been very very ill, but on the road to recovery, so that's good. [Smile]

Hopefully he can pop by here soon. :-)

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2002 03:23      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well thats good.

i was beginning to wonder what happened to him.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture