homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Took the GRE today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Took the GRE today
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2002 21:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The computer based one actually. All I can say to my fellow students is use the practice software. It's very different from doing it on paper (for one thing, you can go back and change answers on paper - not so for this puppy). I think I did okay - my overall score broke 2000 but I really fscked up the math section. I really wish my adviser was around this evening so i could ask her what she thought. I'm actually pretty happy, considering getting to the testing center involved a three mile bike ride in heavy traffic and I got lost trying to find the damn place, which made me late. Thankfully the proctor decided to bend the rules for bicyclists. [Big Grin]

On the bright side, I laid waste to the analytical, so evidently I can think logically but can't do math.

Another warning: study your vocab. Remember all those miserable words at the end of the SAT analogy section? The ones that didn't seem ot belong to any language known to man? Those are the easy questions.

Oh yeah, and a friend of mine discovered the hard way that sedatives and standardized tests are a poor mix, so don't do that either.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
daveyt
Geek
Member # 1522

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2002 22:06      Profile for daveyt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the GRE? (Google to the rescue: Graduate Records Examination...which doesn't help me out at all.)

I took my GMAT no too long ago, and it was one of these computer adaptive ones too, where the better you do, the harder the questions it asks you. I felt pretty good, because I never got any really easy ones, so I figures I was drawings questions from the hard pool. I was right. I managed to pull a 92% in the Qual. and 92% in the Quant. for a combined 97%. Woohoo. Sweet. Take that stupid test!

It was really bizarre trying to prep for it though . If you knew how much you knew, then you could study a particular range of difficulties, but if you didn't know how much you knew, then you wasted your time trying to learn the hard stuff that the computer would never ask you anyways. Luckily, I'm hella smart and know it...at least that's what my mom always told me...

I'm sure Buddha would have something to say about that, too. You're lucky the administrator made an exception for you. They were super strict at my testing centre. You had to bring your passport and basically strip to your ginch to prove that you weren't hiding any cheat stuff, and then they watched you with these evil cameras. Creepy...

--------------------
What the..?! How'd I get here?

Posts: 115 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 7 posted September 06, 2002 07:50      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Another warning: study your vocab. Remember all those miserable words at the end of the SAT analogy section? The ones that didn't seem to belong to any language known to man? Those are the easy questions.

Hint: Those words belong to a language known to those who read books (not the same as reading the internet).

Sounds like you did all right, though, if you only feel bad about one section. My fingers are crossed for you. Let us know when you get the results.

(daveyt: The GRE is a test required for admission to most graduate schools in the US.)

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
daveyt
Geek
Member # 1522

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2002 18:20      Profile for daveyt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A-ha! Thanks for the tid-bit, rw. Crystal clear now!

--------------------
What the..?! How'd I get here?

Posts: 115 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shawn Shah
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1645

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted September 06, 2002 21:16      Profile for Shawn Shah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrads [Smile]

I wished I first test score went as well. How did you study for the logic section?

biogeek
Geek Larva
Member # 1449

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2002 09:01      Profile for biogeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another hint: don't try to take it when you're really really sick.
I'd strongly agree with the use of the practice software. Ditto on studying vocabulary. Also, if you're not into logic questions, the easiest way to do well is to practice them. There are only four or five types and once you know 'em...

Xanthine, I crashed the maths section too. I hate adding and multiplying and all that stuff.

One more piece of advice, if you're taking the subject GRE try to take it somewhere where there won't be too many other people. Having other people stressing around you will only make you more stressed.

Posts: 26 | From: lab | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2002 15:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rw:
Hint: Those words belong to a language known to those who read books (not the same as reading the internet).

[/QB]

Actually, I read books voraciously, but never until last Thursday had I seen "obloquy" and I few others that I can't remember. I was counting on my reading habit to carry me through, but I guess not.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2002 15:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Shah:
Congrads [Smile]

I wished I first test score went as well. How did you study for the logic section?

I didn't. I used the powerful skills of deduction I learned while trouble-shooting RNA modification assays.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Gadgetgirl
Geek Larva
Member # 1610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2002 15:07      Profile for Gadgetgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another hint,
Take ear plugs with you. The computer test is usually given in a very small cramped room with cubicles, but you are still elbow to elbow with the person next to you. Having ear plugs kinda knocks out the surrounding environment and can help one focus.

I'm getting set to take it in the next month or so. I ended up taking a vocab class at a community college. At least for remember roots and pre-fixes, etc..

GG.

Posts: 23 | From: Pacific NorthWest | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2002 19:28      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Xanthine! I hope you did well [Smile]

It will be my pleasure to welcome you to the world of graduate studies.

--------------------
At first, follow the rules of the game.
If you don't succeed, break the rules.
If you still don't succeed, change them.
If you still don't succeed, just change the game.
And if it still doesn't work...

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture