homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Espresso Revelation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Espresso Revelation
Chris Moss
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 04:46      Profile for Chris Moss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been rather amused by my brother's obsession with coffee. He has gone through a series of ever larger and more complicated espresso machines. The last two have been imported from Europe and have involved him wiring up a 220v supply and plumbing them in. The latest and greatest is one he bought - get this - for his wife's birthday! It is too large to fit in the kitchen, so has been plumbed and wired in the laundry room nearby (whence he will likely be banished anyway for having the nerve to buy her a present so blatantly for himself). In an attempt to preserve peace in the house, he has given one of his machines to me to obviate some of the "Why do you need all these things, anyway?" type questions that otherwise arise. So I dragged this beast home and set to dismantling it to get it working properly. I had to dismantle a little more than expected when my son, who was helping, attemted to clean out the coffee grinding/dosing unit by running water from the tap through it. Eventually it was restored to full working order - and then my troubles began...
This stuff is good! I've used one of those little Salton espresso units each morning for years as I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. My eyes have been bugging out all weekend from my constant sampling, and my tremulous fingers keep striking the wrong keys as I type. Now for the confession. I was so impressed I went looking on the web for more information about more modern and clever macchinas and ended up ordering an even fancier one. Now I'm going to have to explain two of these things when She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed gets back from a trip. My incredibly sensitive geek-based appropriate social behaviour antennae tell me that to try big bro's trick of saying it's a present may not go down well with SWMBO. I can foresee that some expensive jewelry may be required to rebalance things, but at least I will be able to stay awake all night admiring it if this is the case.
Must go get another cup now....

--------------------
SACD's & SET's!

Posts: 20 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Luvalot
Mini Geek
Member # 1580

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 05:52      Profile for Lady_Luvalot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very alarming! [Eek!] Seems this indecent obesession is getting out of hand eh? LOL,SWMBO should count herself lucky! Atleast she's getting expensive jewellry.U are buying the jewellry with your money right? and not hers - this would then turn out ugly!U might end up sleeping on the couch [Big Grin]

--------------------
War is when old business men try to make money off young life...like tobacco companies and mcdonalds.

Posts: 64 | From: under your bed | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrMachineCode
Alpha Geek
Member # 609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 12:31      Profile for MrMachineCode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's this really cool giant coffee vending machine in the lobby downstairs. It puts out a half dozen different varieties of coffee, tea, and cocoa, all of which taste almost, but not quite, exactly like various grades of chalk mixed with hot water. I love this machine because it has this totally esoteric user interface that took me 3 days to figure out and involves more button pushing than a call to Germany from a pay phone (don't ask). If you provide your own cup, the machine is programmed to give you a random chance at a free drink. You actually dial in different prefixes for what you want, and there are even special codes you can add for extra lightener and sugar. Not that the end result won't still taste like chalk.
Posts: 314 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gadgetgirl
Geek Larva
Member # 1610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 12:39      Profile for Gadgetgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris:
Your brother sounds like me!! Coffee IS life. I'm from Seattle, so it goes hand in hand.

Okay, about that extra espresso machine you have, want to sell it?? I'd take it off your hands and then you could tell your wife that you sold the one you had (which you got for free), so the new one was actually on sale (subtract the amount you made on the one you sold). See??

I have about 8 different coffee devices, three electric, one espresso maker (a fairly nice one from Starbucks, but I'm thinking it's time to upgrade), and I even have a very, very tiny one for backbacking! Whoo hoo!

Try decaf beans, if you're getting too edgey. There is a company out of Berkeley, Calif, called, Peet's Coffee. They sell on-line. If you really want to become a purist about the beans you buy, these guys will ship within one day of roasting. It's pretty amazing stuff. Makes Starbucks almost look like canned coffee (gads).

Maybe you can convince your wife to become a coffee-a-holic??

GG.

Posts: 23 | From: Pacific NorthWest | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
robots r gr8
Geek Larva
Member # 1230

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 10:03      Profile for robots r gr8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a few things...

1. chris, you are my hero. go team coffee!
2. mr. machinecode, that chalk dispenser you speak so fondly of... im just curious, does the art on the front have a copyright date of 1963? we have a similar machine in my office. and, sadly enough, ive gotten quite attached to that vague coffee flavor...
3. gadget girl, peets in berkeley was a favorite caffiene spot of mine. the one on fourth st. (in that trendy little area) was near my work.

Posts: 21 | From: the fiery depths... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
marusin
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1627

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 10:27      Profile for marusin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what kind of machine did you end up getting from your brother? What are you looking at? I would love to get a nice espresso machine and was wondering if you or he had any recommendations?

Thanks!

Posts: 4 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chris Moss
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 18:09      Profile for Chris Moss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by marusin:
So what kind of machine did you end up getting from your brother? What are you looking at? I would love to get a nice espresso machine and was wondering if you or he had any recommendations?

Thanks!

The one he gave me is a Saeco Bar 2000. It grinds beans, but you have to press the button. It doses the filter, again manually, and you have to press another button to turn the pump on and off. It is being superseded by a Saeco Vienna, with which you select a cup size, press a button and then beans are ground, the filter is dosed and tamped, the coffee is made, the grounds are dumped in a bin. Now and then you add water and beans. It can be seen at:
http://www.espressoplanet.com/machines/fr_vienna-nero.htm

And GadgetGirl - I'm afraid the old one is going to my office so that I shan't have withdrawal shakes there.

--------------------
SACD's & SET's!

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 5 posted August 27, 2002 20:02      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness Chris,

What will you do when SWMBO starts witholding ...

THE BEANS!?!?!?

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chris Moss
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2002 12:34      Profile for Chris Moss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
My goodness Chris,

What will you do when SWMBO starts witholding ...

THE BEANS!?!?!?

After nearly 26 years together, our grinders are a bit worn [Wink] , so I probably won't panic too much. The quality of the roast is what matters, rather than the quantity of the beans(...though I do remember having both once upon a time)!
The machine didn't turn up today, so tomorrow is probably going to be D-Day.

--------------------
SACD's & SET's!

Gadgetgirl
Geek Larva
Member # 1610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2002 16:21      Profile for Gadgetgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Espressoplanet.com huh? I think I've found the homeland! That looks like a VERY nice machine. Now I know what I want for Christmas!!!!!!

Bummer about your old machine going to the office. Coffee is a good thing, so having awesome brew at work is a must.

I may have to seriously consider selling my machine and upgrading....

GG.

Posts: 23 | From: Pacific NorthWest | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture