homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » New job

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New job
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2002 20:53      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got myself a new job today. Pending the results of a drug test I am now a cashier at Target, or as I shall hence forth refer to it, the communist dictatorship. I've never done drugs before and never will do drugs(I don't believe in doing drugs myself because of the side-effects, but I'm all for making them legal, I think it should be peoples choice whether or not they want to fry their brains and risk death, though I think everyone should be held responsible for what they do while ON said drugs, regardless...), so I can guarantee I'll pass the test, so thats that ....
Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2002 00:52            Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations
IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2002 00:57      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Thank you! *brushes away tear* I would like to thank the acadamy, and my love, Twinkie. We did it girl!...ok, I think I'm about done being stupid for the time being...

------------------
"so what are you going to do?"
"Oh, just take her out to dinner, then I'm going to take her back to my apartment and introduce her to my monkey"
"And to think, he's *not* being metaphoric"

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2002 03:15      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, which store?

------------------
my geek code
“Water outside boat good. Water inside boat bad. Water in air bad” - “Tim”

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 30, 2002 07:03      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you going to be one of those clerks who asks for proof of age from thirty-something, mother-of-two women buying music CDs with parental warning stickers on them?

(No, this is not theoretical. My wife got carded for buying Eminem's latest offering at a Target store.)

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 6 posted July 30, 2002 08:46      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think they would actually want you to be ON drugs to stiffle any hope of you leaving once you are trained

------------------
I used to work at a factory where they made fire hydrants; but you couldn't park anywhere near the place.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
maxomai
Alpha Geek
Member # 781

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 30, 2002 10:15      Profile for maxomai   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the job!

I'm sure you'll meet many highly talented software engineers there!

(OK, I admit I'm a little bitter.)

Posts: 343 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2002 12:26      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats cool neo.. hope you dont get fired over 90 cents like nayt

------------------

Hab SoSlI' Quch!

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2002 13:05      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
You'd think they would actually want you to be ON drugs to stiffle any hope of you leaving once you are trained

ha... at the place i work in the summer, 2 years ago, we had this guy who's car smelled like pot. the guy that replaced him last year came in stoned a few days, and hungover all the other ones. and he said it too, it wasn't me making inferences... it was me making inferences and him going "duuude last night i think i smoked a few to manyyy jooooooiiiiinnnnnnntttttttttssssssssss"
this year we are just short handed

------------------
my geek code
“Water outside boat good. Water inside boat bad. Water in air bad” - “Tim”

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2002 14:00      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Congrats, neo. I'm hoping to get a job soon, too. At Waterstones. But I won't get it. I'm not a grad student halfway through writing my second unpublished novel, and I don't like to wear black. So.

sky

------------------
Holy sweet goddamn! You left your cello in the basement...

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2002 16:17      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I was trying to get a job at spencers or hot topic, but I A) can't afford the goth look B)couldn't wear it at home anyway, my parents would kill me(likely literally..they REALLY don't like that look, hell, they won't even let me wear t-shirts that display my geekiness either..I think theres something wrong with them...)
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 01, 2002 09:14      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, yay! You finally got a job... happiness for you .

Heehee, you,... cashier,... human interaction... HAh! What a joke!

Anywho...

------------------
"If it's made with Schmucker's Brand Rasberry Preserves, you know it's good."

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2002 13:23      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp* you think I can't interact with humans? *sigh* well, your right, but I can fake it pretty damn well
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2002 22:52      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
Well, I got myself a new job today. Pending the results of a drug test I am now a cashier at Target, or as I shall hence forth refer to it, the communist dictatorship. I've never done drugs before and never will do drugs(I don't believe in doing drugs myself because of the side-effects, but I'm all for making them legal, I think it should be peoples choice whether or not they want to fry their brains and risk death, though I think everyone should be held responsible for what they do while ON said drugs, regardless...), so I can guarantee I'll pass the test, so thats that ....

Did you have enough time to study?

Does chocolate qualify as a drug?

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted August 02, 2002 07:29      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
Does chocolate qualify as a drug?

Yes, if you eat enough of it. It's the caffeine.

http://www.eirpharm.com/sports_medicine_agree.php?set=yes

The International Olympic Committee requires a caffeine limit of 12 micrograms per milliliter or stricter in a urine test. According to the article I cited, 1 regular chocolate bar will cause a caffeine output of 2.25 mcg/ml after 2-3 hours.

If you eat 6 bars of chocolate and then go out for a run 3 hours later then you are going to have other problems anyways! Ugh!

I play chess, and there's a movement in the chess community to gain Olympic recognition. Bigger audience --> bigger fan base + more amateur entries in tournaments (people like me with my laughable 1177 rating) --> more money. But Olympic recognition means drug tests, and while chess grandmasters do not have a propensity for steroids, they do like to crank up on caffeine before playing. So most grandmasters are strongly opposed to drug tests.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture