homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » How is neotatsu...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How is neotatsu...?
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2002 02:44            Edit/Delete Post 
I recall, neotatsu, that things at home were not the most joyous experience... Yet, despite all of what you said you'd do - you're still here with us, so something must have worked out. How are things with you now? Did you leave home in the end, or are you still sticking it out?

Take care

- uilleann

IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2002 17:40      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well uilleann... to be honest, I really never read your posts, MAYBE skimmed *some* of them. To be frank, I kind of thought they came off as a bit boring. But now I respect you a bit more and will try and read your posts . You may find out later why...

Oh, and yeah, heh... he didn't move.

------------------
I love you, Bees... and you know it!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2002 19:40      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TT he's a brit, you know how dry they can be, as they are almost as serious sounding as I... (sorry, U. I really don't think that about the british, but that is the common stero type here)... I must not have seen the thread that most of this took place in. I personally don't mind U's lengthy posts, as I write many wordy posts(and they're typically spelled worse than U's posts).
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2002 22:35      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to admit that most of U's posts I put into practice my particular brand of speed reading...I just skim it and get the general idea but if you ask me what it said 2 minutes later I wouldn't know...but that's just on code type things..I read most of his other posts...but, anywho, on to the point, no I never left home (unless you count the two days I just took the car and left, but thats a seperate story...)..I never intended to leave immediatly, like I had said, I don't have the means to do so at this point...and, to be honest, it wouldn't be prudent...for all I can't stand it my parents will be paying for me to get my college books and for my programing classes for the next three quarters...after that, I'm leaving, and most likely heading north for various reasons...well, two reasons, but that, again, is another story...thanks for your concern U..ciao for now

------------------
"is anyone elses chair vibrating??"

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2002 05:54      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
TT he's a brit, you know how dry they can be, as they are almost as serious sounding as I...

Actually, GM, it's not that you're serious. I mean, maybe you are, but I dunno... it seems in a warmer way. Heheh, that doesn't make sense but oh well:P. I just really like your posts because they come off to me as particularly wise and from a mind who just... knows much, heh.

Oy, BTW, where ARE you from GM? I've been meaning to ask for a little while but as usual, it slipped me mind like everything else does, heh...

Hmm, now I'm thinking of creating a thread so everyone can read what they think of eachother from their posts. Would that be an oki idea or would we all be bringing up some bits of the convo up in regular posts.. ?

------------------
I love you, Bees... and you know it!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2002 06:56            Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting TwinkleToes:
To be frank, I kind of thought they came off as a bit boring.
Heh, I'm a boring guy ;) What do you expect?

You may find out later why...
*warm fuzzy feeling combined with child-like anticipation*
Um...oh dear, oh dear... what am I thinking? ;)

Quoting GameMaster:
...he's a brit, you know how dry they can be... (sorry, U. I really don't think that about the british, but that is the common stero type here)...
"dry"? Heh...oh, the alternative meaning of that... No, no, move along now! Shoo!

I don't think dry British humour, and our tendency to understate, are surviving too well in this age - we probably overstate and exaggerate almost as much as all you loud Americans do... ;)

What's more, we don't all sound like Doctor Bashir either (just ask skylar ("Aye, appen we doan't" ;)...) My sister and I watched the pilot to Enterprise last night featuring, as with DS9 and B5, a Brit with the same accent we always find featured on US shows. Generally, I think it's a cool accent, but this guy on Enterprise takes it a bit too far, and my sister was complaining she couldn't listen to him, as he was that bad.

I guess I'll have to call round PhAtfiSh's and watch some of his Bond DivX's, ya know, the ones with that stupid fat tobacco-chewing American cop in, and all his poe-lice chums that can't drive straight to save their lives... haaaarrrr hahahahaha... *gloat*

neotatsu/TT:
I don't think I can remember what anyone's posts say two minutes later either, partly from "speed-reading" (or whatever), and partly just from bad memory =)

Anyhow, no problem neo. I'm sure it will all work out just fine in the end anyhow. And if other people's experiences are anything to go by, you'll get on with your parents better once you live separately from them. And you've got TT, in either case :) *ducks*

- uilleann

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 18, 2002 08:46      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually mentioned my location a number of times, but to reiterate:
I am ffrom the land of:
- Beer (which I don't drink)
- Milk (Which I don't drink as much as I should)
- Cheese (That I want in my shoes (heh))
- Festivals (which are fun, but might e better if I had some money to burn at them)
-Moterctcles (Which are cool, but too expensive)

That's right.... Milwaukee, WI.

Aye, appen we doan't
*blinks a few times*
singing
Ennery thee eigth I am, I am...
I was married to the las next door,
She's been married seven times before
And every 'ne of them was 'n ennery.

Second time same as the first, a little bit louder and a little it worse......

Sorry, I know that was evil.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2002 13:45            Edit/Delete Post 
GameMaster:
That song sounds very familiar, but I can't have heard it in a long time. There is another one about, I think, Anne Boleyn that comes to mind, either being sung by a Yorkshireman putting on a different accent but, I think, someone putting on a Yorkshire accent. Who, I don't remember, it's on one of my dad's tapes. "She walked the bloody tower, with 'er 'ead, tucked, underneath her arm, at the mid-night hour..."

- uilleann

LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2002 15:59      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
GameMaster:
That song sounds very familiar, but I can't have heard it in a long time. There is another one about, I think, Anne Boleyn that comes to mind, either being sung by a Yorkshireman putting on a different accent but, I think, someone putting on a Yorkshire accent. Who, I don't remember, it's on one of my dad's tapes. "She walked the bloody tower, with 'er 'ead, tucked, underneath her arm, at the mid-night hour..."

- uilleann

I couldn't find a midi for the song, but here you go!
It's also known as Anne Boleyn
WITH 'ER 'EAD TUCKED UNDERNEATH 'ER ARM
(With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm)

In the Tower of London, large as life,
The ghost of Anne Bolyn walks, they declare
For Anne Bolyn was once King Henry's wife
Until he made the headsman part her hair
Oh yes he did this wrong long years ago
And she comes back at night to tell him so.

CHORUS
With her head tucked underneath her arm
She walks the Bloody Tower
At the midnight hour

She comes to haunt King Henry
She means giving him "what for"
Gadzooks! She's gonna tell him off
She's feeling rather sore
And just in case the headsman
Wants to give her an encore
She keeps her head tucked underneath her arm CHORUS

She walks the drafty corridors,
For miles and miles she goes
She often catches cold, you know,
It's cold there when it blows
And it's awfully awkward for the Queen
When she has to blow her nose
With her head tucked underneath her arm CHORUS

One night old King Henry laid a spread
For all his pals and gals, a ghostly crew
The headsman was about to carve the bread
When in comes Anne Bolyn to queer the "do"
She holds her head up with a wild war whoop
And Henry cries "Don't drop it in the soup" ("You silly cow!") CHORUS

The sentries think that it's a football [and/or basketball]
That she carries in
And when they've had a few they shout
"Which team is gonna win?"
They think she looks like ___________ [add name of personality]
Instead of poor old Anne Bolyn

One night she caught King Henry
He was in the canteen bar
Says he "Are you Jane Seymour,
Anne Bolyn, or Catherine Parr?"
"For how the sweet 'san fairy anne'
Do I know who you are...
With your head tucked underneath your arm. CHORUS

WITH 'ER 'EAD TUCKED UNDERNEATH 'ER ARM
(With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm)

In the Tower of London, large as life,
The ghost of Anne Bolyn walks, they declare
For Anne Bolyn was once King Henry's wife
Until he made the headsman part her hair
Oh yes he did this wrong long years ago
And she comes back at night to tell him so.

CHORUS
She walks the Bloody Tower
At the midnight hour

She walks the drafty corridors,
For miles and miles she goes
She often catches cold, you know,
It's cold there when it blows
And it's awfully awkward for the Queen
When she has to blow her nose

One night old King Henry laid a spread
For all his pals and gals, a ghostly crew
The headsman was about to carve the bread
When in comes Anne Bolyn to queer the "do"
She holds her head up with a wild war whoop
And Henry cries "Don't drop it in the soup" ("You silly cow!") CHORUS

The sentries think that it's a football [and/or basketball]
That she carries in
And when they've had a few they shout
"Which team is gonna win?"
They think she looks like ___________ [add name of personality]
Instead of poor old Anne Bolyn

One night she caught King Henry
He was in the canteen bar
Says he "Are you Jane Seymour,
Anne Bolyn, or Catherine Parr?"
"For how the sweet 'san fairy anne'
Do I know who you are...
With your head tucked underneath your arm. CHORUS

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2002 16:04      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"then we ull all ave etten thee,
on Ilkley Moor ba tat,
on Ilkley Moor ba tat,
On Iiiiiilkley Moor ba tat!"

try singing that to four hundred Japanese school girls on a Monday morning...uyyyy!

sky

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2002 17:39      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about this morbid American song:

Lizze Bordon took an axe,
And gave her mother forty wacks.
When he had seen what she had done,
She gave her mother forty one.

Or another euorpian one that has dark roots...

Ring around the rosey,
Packet full of posie.
Ashes, Ashes,
We all fall down.

As a kid it always seemed so pretty, now knowing what it is about, well...

Or this, in a Boston accent:

A knife, A fork
A bottle and a cork
That's the way to say
New York.

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2002 17:42      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
You may find out later why...
*warm fuzzy feeling combined with child-like anticipation*
Um...oh dear, oh dear... what am I thinking?

And you've got TT, in either case *ducks*

- uilleann[/B]

heh, she was refering to your interest in my well being, at least, I think she was, heh....anywho, I don't think my relationship with my parents will get better with my being seperate from them, to be honest, I don't think I'll be able to keep in contact with them at all once I leave, I won't have a reason to...well, anywho, right now I'm more in the dislike of twinkies mom than my own parents, but that's another story in itself, now isn't it, heh

------------------
"is anyone elses chair vibrating??"

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2002 18:17      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I don't think dry British humour, and our tendency to understate, are surviving too well in this age - we probably overstate and exaggerate almost as much as all you loud Americans do...

I(a loud American ) LOVE British humor. It's much more subtle and intellectual than typical American humor. Now if you could just learn to spell it correctly.

------------------
"I didn't know all of them."

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2002 23:27      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aye, most of my favorite shows and my favorite book are british in origin...well, except the red-green show, which is canadian...pretty damn close if ya ask me..

------------------
no pets, no parties, and, for the love of god, get some underwear

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2002 04:41            Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief, we've turned this place into a sing-along... :P And yes, LifetimeTrekker, that is the song, although I don't remember most of the words, and we've got to teach them to spell it 'Boleyn' ;)

neotatsu: I'm guessing that it all stems from their sense of wanting to look out for your wellbeing (whether or not they are doing it the right way is another matter). Well, once you grow up, they'll have much less to worry about (and will see how far you've come and be proud), nor will it legally be their responsiblity. And once you're separate from them, things between you will cool down and move into the past.

In theory - I live by proxy and base comments on observations, assumptions and theory. But anyhow, I think it will improve over time.

- uilleann

Oh, and sky, "On Ilkley Moor ba tat, hehey!" is the Tykes speech set winning chant :P
(For those who (rightfully) have no clue, it means, "On Ilkley Moor without a hat" (which would be bloody cold ;)).

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2002 05:05      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as I believe I stated somewhere before, I know they do what they do supposedly for my wellbeing, but fact of the matter is they go about it quite wrong...my parents have a perception of me that wasn't correct BEFORE I went through some major philosophical changes when I was 11, let alone afterwards...ah, well, I'll be sticking around purely for the fact that I have barely more than 300 days left and I can leave without any school ties to keep me back..

------------------
no pets, no parties, and, for the love of god, get some underwear

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2002 17:47            Edit/Delete Post 
neotatsu: In light of the comment about the philosophical change (and where your life might now be headed) I'm not sure now if my preceding comment still stands, but hopefully it will.

LifetimeTrekker: I asked my dad who sung that song - apparently it was Stanley Holloway, a Cockney. Of course (why did I not see this coming), I got treated to my dad's rendition of at least the first two verses, in a very on/off Yorkshire accent :P *shakes head* It will be my life's sworn duty to see that he never finds the rest of the lyrics ;)

I'd love to get a copy though, were AudioGalaxy or Aimster still up. Not worth the hassle of going into head-head combat with LimeWire over, though. Damned thing wants to resolve all aliases in my Trance Albums/Livesets folder (about 30 or so of them) (to CD-Rs) about every twenty minutes, locking the app out until I go cancel out of 30 requests for me to insert a stack of CDs. Guess I should just delete the aliases, but that means giving it to it.... :P

- uilleann

Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2002 19:20      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I've actually mentioned my location a number of times, but to reiterate:
I am ffrom the land of:
- Beer (which I don't drink)
- Milk (Which I don't drink as much as I should)
- Cheese (That I want in my shoes (heh))
- Festivals (which are fun, but might e better if I had some money to burn at them)
-Moterctcles (Which are cool, but too expensive)

That's right.... Milwaukee, WI.

<random observation>GM, that's neat! My sister-in-law just moved there last January. So far she likes it, and she says fried cheese curds are good. Next time we talk, I'll ask her if she's ever put them in her shoes. Win!
Is Milwaukee a good city to geek in? ('Cause she's one, too.)</random observation>

Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2002 19:26            Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, duhhhh....I thought the lyrics for With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm had far more verses than I recalled...

Just realised, LifetimeTrekker pasted them twice.... d'oh :P

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture