homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » BROWN OUT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BROWN OUT
DUCT TAPE
Geek
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2002 05:11      Profile for DUCT TAPE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have fulll power this morning after spending most of yesterday under brownout conditions wich led to a full out power outage someime last night. wich means i have had to spend a long time away from my beloved computer and internet connection. but i did get to go outside and play
Posts: 120 | From: under the frozen land of snow and ice | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Lama
Geek
Member # 1170

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2002 06:09      Profile for The Lama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i hate when i loose power, i feel so disconnected from the rest of the world........ and my video games
Posts: 100 | From: A Mac near you | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2002 07:11      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a UPS (and/or a laptop with decent battery life). I have both, and it's wonderful to be able to stay online if the power goes out for a few moments.

-Andrew

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 15, 2002 07:23      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a power outage?

Never happens around here, ok very rarely, like once a year, in part of the area.
On the other hand, up at my parents place it happens quite often, especially during thunderstorms.
When we had the hurricane over Christmas three years ago the power was on and off all the time. Unfortunately our roof was just off

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2002 09:43      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when you loose power it really stinks. If it is summer time, or is warm out that is ok, there is plenty to do outside. But if it is very very cold out, well that is a different story. Around where i live, we rarely have power outages. Except for the odd car here or there that takes out the power by hitting a telephone pole. I have been thinking about getting a power back up unit. But they last maybe 15 min. Not really long enough to do much more than save and shut down.
nayt

------------------
c:/dos
c:/dos/run
run/dos/run

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2002 09:48      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The power went out at my friend's house. Uh oh, I just realized I see a long story coming on...I'll try to keep it short! He lives with his grandma...I'll skip the details in the sake of time. He and his mom actually got his grandma to use a computer (she's...95ish?) and she plays solitare on it (what else is Windows for?). She has been playing with a real deck of cards for some 85+ years, but now she uses the computer, so, it's kinda' cool.

Anyway, the power went out over there last week and his grandma says, "I hate when the power is out, I can't watch TV, I can't play solitare!" Yes, folks, in 3 months, she has become addicted to Windows Solitare so much so that she can't go back to cards even if the power is out!

I always knew sol.exe was evil!

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 15, 2002 12:49      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
I always knew sol.exe was evil!

and must therefore be banned from Inglis, FL

------------------
.--. .-. --- - ---

Posts: 250 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
balanco
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2002 17:36            Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a somewhat scary
brownout I experienced 4 years ago.

Early that morning, I noticed a sizzling/crackling sound comming out of
my vcr. I also noticed that the light
in my room was pulsing, and this happened
every couple seconds. AStrange. It didn't get
too scary untill I went down to the basement and heard the same "sizzling" sound comming
from the circut breaker. I was living in my
mom';s house at the time, and she was
a thousand miles away on a trip and wouldn't
be back for days, Thinking
that there was a major problem with
the breaker box, I franticly, called her
on a cordless phone and told
her wat was going on. After that I shut off
the main breaker for a few seconds and switched it back on. The incadecent bulbs
in the basement were very dim, and the
flourecent light near the stars blinked
erraticly. I switched the power off.
A half hour klater, there was a very loud
boom outsie and smoke in the air. The transformer across the street had blown it's top, and were were without power for several hours.

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture