homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Hideously early english class (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hideously early english class
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2002 18:47            Edit/Delete Post 
I have you guys beat. The school I teach at runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The students and instructors have classes at 1 AM. My schedule was crazy for the longest time--1-9 AM shifts one day, 5 PM-1 AM the next.

Luckily, my department cut out the 5 AM classes and weekends, so now I'm just working 9 PM-5 AM shifts during the week. Still, my sleep patterns are shot.

IP: Logged
homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2002 19:18      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, early classes suck. Unless they are fun though. I'm at school every day from 8AM until 5PM. Its great! But I like it a lot.
Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2002 20:39      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptorgirl:
I have you guys beat. The school I teach at runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The students and instructors have classes at 1 AM.

What kind of school runs round the clock? I sure hope they have a good salary and benefits package for that kind of shift work.

My high school started at 8:00AM and university at 8:30AM. Being on the west coast we have tech support people starting work at 5:00AM, but I'm on the development side of the fence. Much more likely to find us there at 8:00PM than 8:00AM.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpacemanSpiff22
Mini Geek
Member # 1078

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted January 27, 2002 20:48      Profile for SpacemanSpiff22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd much rather go to school from 10 to 5:30, or from mid afternoon till midnight than from 7 to 2:30. People with acutal social lives might have a problem with this, but it'd be great for me! *sighs* only 10 hours till I have to go to school...

------------------
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof
is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. --Douglas Adams

Posts: 85 | From: Geek-o-sphere 42 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 11 posted February 01, 2002 20:43      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptorgirl:
I have you guys beat. The school I teach at runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The students and instructors have classes at 1 AM. My schedule was crazy for the longest time--1-9 AM shifts one day, 5 PM-1 AM the next.

Luckily, my department cut out the 5 AM classes and weekends, so now I'm just working 9 PM-5 AM shifts during the week. Still, my sleep patterns are shot.

!?!?!?!?

Where do you teach?

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
PRAM
Newbie Larva
Member # 1103

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2002 06:05      Profile for PRAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work 9 to 7:30 4 days a week - So I usually average 7 hours a sleep on work nights, the other 3 nights a week, I'm lucky if I get 4 hours, I sleep late, but always have to get up early for one class or another. I'm not a morning person at all, if it were up to me, business wouldn't start before 10.
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2002 13:29      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PRAM:
I'm not a morning person at all, if it were up to me, business wouldn't start before 10.

I second that!

I spent 2 years in highschool averaging about 5h or less per night (2 part time jobs and a lot of traveling were to blame). Then right at the end I crashed ... and burned... which was not the least bit good because then I started university. It took me a long while to recover and nowadays I can't take more than two or three nights a month with <9h.

------------------
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2002 23:09      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh... painful memories... speaking of, what was with scheduling SATs so damned early? They've done studies that prove that people, especially teenagers, don't think as well so early in the morning. What would posses someone to schedule such a test so early in the day, on a *weekend* even?

One of my favorite things about high school was that they were "preparing us for the work force" I hate to tell them this, but if an employer expects me to wake up at 6am, switch thinking processes 6 times a day, and then take my work home with me, they are no longer my employer. The only job high school prepares you for is a job in the school system. Perhaps we'd have a higher teacher count if they didn't have to get up so early?

By the way rw, you count as an excellent teacher in my book for recognizing that not all students are the same, as well as leaving alone those of us who get by without doing the busy work. Now if only my college instructors would catch on to this method... it's like high school all over again, only without all the teenage idiots, and later in the day... ok, so it's better than high school, but still, everyone told me to wait for college, well I did. And now I'm stuck making up excuses to switch instructors because I have to play the damned game some more.

Ok, that was a rant laden post.

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2002 07:44      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if an employer expects me to wake up at 6am,

I'm usually up at 5:30, but sometimes I'll hit the snooze button an extra time, so it's 5:40....

quote:
switch thinking processes 6 times a day,

Only 6? You're kidding, right?

quote:
and then take my work home with me,

I'm on call periodically; we have a rotating duty schedule.

quote:
they are no longer my employer.

I strongly urge you not to consider a career in systems administration or tech support, then.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2002 16:05      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by +Andrew:
You have a class that starts [b]before 7AM?! I dare say that goes beyond mere unpleasantry and falls into the realm of "things contrary to the 8th amendment". Who comes up with these ideas, anyway? Do they really expect anyone to be able to think at that hour? I know can barely handle Lit class at 8:20 in the morning.. at 7:00 I'm barely even conscious.[/B]

Okay, show hands: Who had to look up the 8th Amendment? Who knew what it was?

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2002 22:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, but highschool is not a punishment, it only feels like it. Therein lies the rub.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2002 05:59      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
Okay, show hands: Who had to look up the 8th Amendment? Who knew what it was?

<Raises hand>
No idea, the only one I am really sure about is the fifth, use that one the most.

The again I am not a USian, so I have no idea what is in that there constitution of yours.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
miliani
Geek Apprentice
Member # 999

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2002 14:44      Profile for miliani   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see.... my senior year in high school I had to split my days between high school classes, college classes, varsity track practice (after classes), swimteam practice (after track), taekwondo practice (after swimteam), community service hours/tutoring, theatre rehearsals, and a short 20 minute dinner with my family... sooo... taking that into account... I averaged 3-4 hours of sleep on a regular (non-homework-heavy) night... thinking about how i had to do all that to be somewhat competitive for college... and taking all that madness into consideration (and the fact i had no life in high school... *sigh*).. i'm afraid to even imagine what someone has to do these days in order to be competitive when applying for a top-notch university.... O.o;

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga, usa | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2002 15:31      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pip Pip Cheerio

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
DUCT TAPE
Geek
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2002 18:36      Profile for DUCT TAPE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my classes start at 9:00 and 9:30 this semester so i've been getting about six or seven hours a night during the week and nine or ten on weekends.
Posts: 120 | From: under the frozen land of snow and ice | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2002 23:49            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bregalad:
What kind of school runs round the clock? I sure hope they have a good salary and benefits package for that kind of shift work.

It's an entertainment-centered tech school. Their gimmick is that you have classes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and you can get an Associate's degree in half the time. Which was cool in the old days, but now the school's gotten so packed, and the instructors spread so thin, that it's developed a bad reputation among many employers.

Salary and benefits are okay. I mean, it's the best job for a recent college grad like me. You lecture for an hour, give the students a project, and spend the next three hours time dicking around on the Internet. If someone has a question, you help them. That's it.

IP: Logged
Insomnia
Mini Geek
Member # 1125

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2002 22:26      Profile for Insomnia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff22:
I just started second semester at my high school, and in order to have my schedule work out correctly, I have to take an english class that starts at 6:55 am

Quit yo' bitchin'...i've had to do that all year...
quit being a wimp, Party M.

Be cool like Party G...
Be less like Party N...
Don't get so small that i confuse you with a chicken and eat you...

Bye,
Party L

------------------
Party L sub-category newcomer B will soon becom Party L sub 1

Posts: 81 | From: I live in a box | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpacemanSpiff22
Mini Geek
Member # 1078

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2002 22:28      Profile for SpacemanSpiff22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, well i had pre-first biology my freshman year. I mean, right after eating, i'd go dissect a pig brain. It was hideous. So =P.

------------------
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof
is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. --Douglas Adams

Posts: 85 | From: Geek-o-sphere 42 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
shogarde
Mini Geek
Member # 1124

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2002 07:57      Profile for shogarde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got that too. I've got a technology class at 6:55. Oohh... metal welding before 7:00. much fun.

It sucks though because i'm tired all the time now. can't think straight- but it's ok because my tired self is still smarter than most people at my school. Ahhh... I love my chemistry class. Every 5 minutes someone inturrupts to ask how to do algebra again, or what an element is. I have to slap myself every once in a while to keep from falling asleep.

------------------
I having so far to walk... Must stop, and rest... Oooh, shiny penny!

Posts: 65 | From: hmm...let's see. there's a leprichaun talking to me, maybe i'm in ireland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture