homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » FW: Glad they were wrong

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FW: Glad they were wrong
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 21, 2002 11:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a ' C,' the idea must be feasible." -- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"Who the h*** wants to hear actors talk?" -- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper." -- Gary Cooper, on his decision to not take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make." -- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." -- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." -- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this." -- Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'" -- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and H-P interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer.

"You want to have consistent and uniform muscle development across all of your muscles? It can't be done. It's just a fact of life. You just have to accept inconsistent muscle development as an unalterable condition of weight training." -- Response to Arthur Jones, who solved the "unsolvable" problem by inventing Nautilus.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy." -- Drillers whom Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist in his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction". -- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872.

"No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris." -- Orville Wright....
--

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted January 21, 2002 15:43      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
"Who the h*** wants to hear actors talk?" -- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927

hey i think this one must've slipped in with the 'wrong' quotes by accident!

------------------
hell is other people -Jean Paul Sartre

Posts: 148 | From: united states | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2002 05:32      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bills Gates quote (or is it an urban myth?) about memory.

Something like:
'640k is more than enough RAM on a computer'

I am not able to remember what was supposidly said.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2002 05:46      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what this shows is persaverence. some of these people were critized greatly for thier ideas but they kept on trying, and in the end succed. I guess if you look for something hard enough you will find it anywhere.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life
you will wonder who
THEY are. Then you
find out who THEY
really are. From then
on you live you life in
fear of THEM and you
wish you never knew
who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oldguy geek
Alpha Geek
Member # 577

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2002 06:50      Profile for Oldguy geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of an old saying: Reasonable people adapt themselves to their environment and try to live comfortably within it. Unreasonable people try to change their environment to suit themselves. Therefore, all progress is the result of unreasonable people.
Posts: 310 | From: Blacksburg, Va., USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpacemanSpiff22
Mini Geek
Member # 1078

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted January 22, 2002 11:41      Profile for SpacemanSpiff22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sanity is highly overrated. I think that to come up with something truly revolutionary, you have to be at least partially insane. I can't remember who said it, but the quote "Genius is one of the many forms of insanity" springs to mind.

------------------
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof
is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. --Douglas Adams

Posts: 85 | From: Geek-o-sphere 42 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2002 14:15      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm that proves Steve Jobs is insane, to a degree. Not that is making a bold statement or anything though.
Nayt

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2002 16:51      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Borrowed from Apple's original "Think Different" ad...

Some call them the crazy ones, but we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 28, 2002 08:26      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one I dug out of my files over the weekend...

"The United States relies on the Air Force, and the Air Force has never been a decisive factor in the history of wars." -- Saddam Hussein, 29 August 1990

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2002 23:50      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
The Bills Gates quote (or is it an urban myth?) about memory.

Something like:
'640k is more than enough RAM on a computer'

I am not able to remember what was supposidly said.

If I recall... "640k should be enough for anybody."

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oldguy geek
Alpha Geek
Member # 577

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2002 05:20      Profile for Oldguy geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"That's pretty cool, but I doubt it will ever be used much" . . . me, after seeing a demo of the World Wide Web software in about 1992 or 3.
Posts: 310 | From: Blacksburg, Va., USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 05, 2002 06:48      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'I think that it is a nice gadget Tim, but I do not think that it will ever catch on.'

Me to Tim Berners-Lee CERN 1993

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2002 02:48      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 640k quote is an urban myth.

The Intel 8088 has 20 address bits, which limits it to 1 megabyte of addressible memory + device space. IBM chose to partition that 1 megabyte into 640K of memory space and 384K of device space (bios memory, video memory, disk bios memory, and so on).

Before Compaq made the first BIOS-compatible clone, Microsoft sold MS-DOS on a variety of non-IBM, non-PC-compatible computers that used Intel 8086/8088 chips from companies such as Columbia and Sanyo. These machines split up the 1 megabyte address space however they wanted. I've personally used a Convergent Technologies machine with 896K of memory, 128K of device space, running MS-DOS 2.1 natively with all that memory in use.

So: Intel chose the physical address size of 20 bits. IBM chose to decode addresses above 640K as devices, rather than memory. Microsoft's MS-DOS works fine with more than 640K on the non-IBM machines that have larger address space and smaller device space. In fact, MS-DOS can address all the memory available to the real mode x86 architecture.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture