homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Everyone out of the kiddie pool (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Everyone out of the kiddie pool
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 03:25      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what Eddie said...

well, except I don't live in Pittsburgh, and I'm still working on the college thing.

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 12:05      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best video player I saw was a Phillips laserdisk one that also used the lasers to play Vinyl LPs and singles without scratching them.
Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted January 13, 2002 12:32      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
'Adventure' was the grandaddy of Zork and Rogue (as you guessed) was the hack and slash dungeon game with the letters (it randomly generated the dungeons and so was the great great great grandaddy of Diablo)

Now I remember!! My dad and his buds played Adventure on the great big DuPont mainframes with the big spinny tape drives.

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 12:34      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DaraSue:
,,,,,,my parents had one of those early-80s video disk players that used a stylus (somebody please tell me you remember those things, because I'm starting to think I hallucinated it...)

No, yer mostly sane. Those played the big-ass gold frisbees!

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eponine
Highlie
Member # 548

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 13, 2002 12:35      Profile for Eponine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I feel like tha baby here. I'm 19, and a sophomore in college, majoring in theater. I got my first computer last year, and can't program worth anything. People here seem to tolerate me though, so I'm sticking around.
Posts: 745 | From: Midwest, US | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted January 13, 2002 14:57      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EddieKatz:
because I'm tired of feeling like I'm visiting a site frequented almost entirely by people who aren't old enough to know what the difference was between BETA and VHS,

One of the reasons I like GeekCulture so much is because of the low density of noxious kiddies (and it's an attitude not an age), so I don't get this feeling. But, well, I, ahh, just had my birthday (31.12) and it's the ummm, 38th time I've done that. There, I've said it. Now, what did you do with my teeth, you young whippersnappers.

------------------
cogito ergo something.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 17:18      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sixteen, junior in high school.

for some reason, this thread has the feel of alt.gothic, with the "scene elites" who were there when christian death was still touring (or when people were programming with punchcards, in this case). at least people here aren't pretentious about it.

JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 19:21      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
sixteen, junior in high school

Same here (we got you beat Eponine ) and i know exactly what you're talking about with goth elites. the people who saw Bauhaus in Concert, and when Siouxsie was still "running with the punks" etc.

------------------
hell is other people -Jean Paul Sartre

Posts: 148 | From: united states | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 03:34      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
21. Old enough to remember booting from a floppy on an pc and programming in Qbasic at the age of 10. Those were the days. No MSbloatware.
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 06:24      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First computer was a TRS-80 Color Computer. It had 4 kilobytes of RAM.

First VCR was a big honkin' VHS top-loader, all manual. It took about two fingers' worth of muscle to push the Play button (especially if you're a little kid); fortunately, the Play button was big enough that you could put two fingers on it. It had a manual tracking knob, which I dearly miss on many newer models.

First President I remember at all was Carter. First real awareness of politics/issues was when some US citizens were held hostage in Iran for over a year. One of them was from our town.

My parents had vinyl and 8-tracks. I remember that someone (perhaps my parents, but more likely a grandparent) had some records that played at 78 RPM. One of the turntables we had could play at 16 RPM, and listening to normal 33+1/3 RPM records at 16 RPM was really entertaining.

I never worked directly with punch cards or paper tape, but I programmed COBOL for a college course on a mainframe with a terminal that was incapable of running a full screen editor.[1] I used some sort of line editor which was a little less powerful than ed(1), but of course it wasn't on a Unix system. But I was a bit younger than the normal college student at the time.[2] Also, we were graded (partly) on how many times we had to compile the program before turning it in -- the 132-column greenbar print-outs had that number on the first page.

I remember disco, and break dancing (but not bell bottoms). I saw Star Wars and Star Trek: The Motion Picture in their first runs, as well as The Black Hole, TRON and E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial.

I've used a slide rule before, but never seriously. I had an orange and black 4-function calculator with LED display that I absolutely adored.

For the lazy: I was born in 1970.

[1]It also had terminals with a full screen editor on them, but the full screen editor was slooow, and those terminals were always in high demand. Some of the other students in the lab I told me about the idle line-editor-only terminals on the other side, and taught me the basic commands. While waiting for the print-outs, there were even some text mode games. The one I remember was called something like "Kingdom of Ur"; it was a sort of primitive simulation in which you had to decide how many acres of grain to plant, how many bushels of grain to feed your people, etc.

[2]This was around 1981.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oldguy geek
Alpha Geek
Member # 577

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 06:59      Profile for Oldguy geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Old enough to
- know that real men used reel-to-reel videotape rather than those new-fangled cassette things.
- know how to make a control card for a keypunch machine
- know why delete is ASCII 127 rather than < 32 like the other control characters
- have used the ARPAnet rather than the Internet.
- have data on 9-track tapes and feel sad when I read about their final passing

So I claim Geekier than thou status.

All this pretty much applies to me as well, though as to recording TV shows I say, "what, no kinescope?"

I once owned a television with a channel 1 on it (though I got it from someone's trash).

I remember when JFK was assasinated and I was in the 4th or 5th grade at the time.

I also remember going out at night to watch the Echo satellite pass over.

I make no claim to being geekier than anybody.

Posts: 310 | From: Blacksburg, Va., USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 08:09      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Well I can remember before personal computers existed.
- I bought my first Apple ][e Europlus when I 14 for 4500 Sfrs.
- My first concert was Styx for the Grand Illusion Tour with Blackfoot opening.
- I saw ABBA win the Eurovision song contest (on TV).
- I visited the Soviet Union, when Brehzniev was in charge.

- I Have seen 37 Summers (and am on my 38th winter).

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pish-Tush
Geek Larva
Member # 1036

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 09:22      Profile for Pish-Tush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm old enough to have seen the real D'Oyly Carte perform.

In my undergrad (& early postgrad days) the whole university used an IBM 370/165 with 4Megs of core (real core -- none of this RAM stuff and no virtual memory).

Sorry I don't recall too much about Beta though, didn't get my first VCR till the mid-90's.

----------------
And I am right,
And you are right
And all is right, too-loo-ra-lay

Posts: 22 | From: A vat of boiling oil | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 09:23      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
I'm currently unemployed and I live in the southwest lower corner of Michigan in a little town no one has heard of.

What, you mean you live in Dowagiac?

<τ wonders if the people who live in Climax still enjoy it>

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 10:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm almost 20, will be on the 28th. As for the older and therefore, 'geekier than thou,' rant, I will claim the fact that I grew up using an IBM PC XT. Oh yeah, we had that huge 10 MB hard drive (and I mean physically huge, too), and know my computer rests in its place, after the 386 was put aside. There's nothing quite like booting up from a 5 1/4" floppy to Lode Runner on a <= 14" screen (probably 16 colors). Also, using WordPerfect 2.4.1 (IIRC, also called 4.1, maybe), with hordes of commands assigned to the F1-F10 keys, on the left, with commands like ALT-F4 for underline, and CTRL-ALT-F* for other functions. Oh, and my dad also had a TRS-80, KIM-1 computer, Epson SkyWriter (portable computer with tape-drive and receipt-size dot-matrix printer).
Oh well, while it is fun to reminisce on older technology, it is fun to play with the newer bigger computers and servers in my IT job at my college, where I am obviously a Comp. Sci. major.

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 10:55      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EddieKatz:
Just out of curiosity (and because I'm tired of feeling like I'm visiting a site frequented almost entirely by people who aren't old enough to know what the difference was between BETA and VHS), how old are the regular contributors out there?

18, male, living in Idaho, plinking away at college.

On the note of BETA, one of my friends has BETA... which is sort of a pain, "Oh yeah I have that movie" "Uh, in BETA?" "Oh.. yeah." so we usually wind up watching movies at his house, even though it's not the best suited.

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 20:09      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by zorgon:
... But, well, I, ahh, just had my birthday (31.12) and it's the ...

Very geeky, celebrating the 31.12th birthday. Most people wait for the integral units.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 15, 2002 19:16      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 22, graduated from college in May.
I remember beta, my dad had a bunch of them for work, (still does i think, although i don't know what he'd play them in)
The guys I worked for at college had an old beta vcr sitting around, and some reel to reel tape players, and some 8 tracks... My boss liked older toys, like vacumn tube calculators :-D(that thing was COOL), and of course the vacumn tube radios.
My first computer was a 128k mac that my dad got when i was 4 or 5, we were special cause we had TWO 3.5 inch floppy drives :-) I think the mac has the signatures in it and everything. still works too. I'm still using the computer cart he bought with it.
At work I have a full tower AT case with a 5 1/4 floppy drive and turbo button which took up residence under my desk after I cannibalized it's floppy drive for a project i was working on. I guess that's about it :-)

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2002 03:44      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
[b]I'm currently unemployed and I live in the southwest lower corner of Michigan in a little town no one has heard of.

What, you mean you live in Dowagiac?

<? wonders if the people who live in Climax still enjoy it>[/B]

Ah, Tau, I see you know your Michigan geography fairly well. I know that I always snicker when I go past Climax (although I've never been in Climax). Oh well, that's all on next summer's road trip, along with Hell, Paradise, Jam, Ryan, and any other oddly named Michigan places we decide to go. BTW, I live here :: points at palm of right hand :: If you know where Exit 16 (on I-94) is, then you know where I live. Good luck, Comrade.

------------------
KK (a.k.a. The MacMan)
Proud to be Microsoft Free!
"If it doesn't say 'Microsoft' it must be better!"
The Man's Prayer -- "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 17, 2002 09:57      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ah, Tau, I see you know your Michigan geography fairly well.

I spend waaaaay too much time in my car.
quote:
I know that I always snicker when I go past Climax (although I've never been in Climax).
My favorite road sign is ZZYZX ROAD in Nevada, but I think my second-favorite is Exit 69 of I-75 north of Detroit; it's for Big Beaver Road.

The freeway jumps about 2 miles west just before this exit, so I get the feeling that the mile marker and exit number were chosen deliberately for the joke.

xty
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2002 08:49            Edit/Delete Post 
(somebody please tell me you remember those things, because I'm starting to think I hallucinated it...)

Oh my god - I WAS convinced that I hallucinated it... Thank you for this small token of my sanity!

IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted January 18, 2002 13:55      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Very geeky, celebrating the 31.12th birthday. Most people wait for the integral units.

Ah, no, sorry qf. 31.12 as in 31.12.1963. Sigh.

------------------
cogito ergo something.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
pawn
Assimilated
Member # 173

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted January 18, 2002 15:41      Profile for pawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here it goes. Today, at 6:43am I turned 34.

I didn't even remember it was my b-day until about 1 pm, and then only because I wrote the date on the notes I took in my math lecture.

To tell the truth I wish I could totally forget what day is my b-day. It's never any fun, How I remember it is beyond me, I never have any problems forgetting anyone elses b-day.

Posts: 413 | From: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2002 20:35      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by zorgon:
Ah, no, sorry qf. 31.12 as in 31.12.1963. Sigh.

Umm, yeah. It was a joke. I think you said you would be 38 some where else in your original post so 31.12 would be wrong. That's one of the problems with text, you can't see my face when I type it. I guess I could use a smilely, but I prefer classic deadpan humor.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture