homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Visciously attacked by a...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visciously attacked by a...
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted June 22, 2000 13:01      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deer mouse.

It was a cold, rainy morning. I absolutey had to have a Tim Hortons coffee and bagel. After much fit throwing, Snaggy and I get in the car and drive. I'm dizzy, and hungry, the rain is making those droplet sounds on the car roof. Out on the highway I'm on the passenger side when I hear this rustling at my feet! I feel something brush my ankle, and scurry over my foot. My God! It's a mouse! I see it's little tail slither up the dash board.

I shreik in terror, my feet go up on the dash, poor Snaggy doesn't know what's going on! "A mouse! A mouse!" I cry. He pulls over, there's no coaxing the vermin out of his hiding spot. We have to decide if we go back to the headquarters or forge onward. Snaggy's freaking at the saftey hazard. I won't even breathe the words "hanta virus".

We forge onward, the hunger is too much! This is much worse than anything on "survivor". I move to the back seat and arm myself with the scraper. My feet are up on the seat. The mouse makes at least two attack attempts on the way to Tim Hortons. Once more when we were distracted by a "Dude spotting". Knocking the scraper about violently seemed to thwart it's bloodythirsty attempts, it scurries back to the dash board each time.

We take our Tim Hortons picnic and eat by the Harbour, we leave the door open, an escape route for the mouse. We keep an eye on the door the whole time, and the mouse does not leave the car. I'm thinking it's living like a king in there with the mountains of Tim Hortons crumbs, it's never going to leave.

Now I have to travel in the back with scraper in hand, it's never going to be the same again. I'll never be able to doze off, thinking about a mouse scurrying about.That's pretty stupid.

Saintonge
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 279

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted June 22, 2000 14:26      Profile for Saintonge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nitro, honey, didn't you know it's a cliche for women to panic at the sight of a mouse?

And what is to prevent you putting a trap in there and killing it?

Or for that matter, finding the painted turtle and letting them duke it out?

Posts: 1113 | From: Minneapolis, MN, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2000 14:57      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You sure get viciously attacked a lot, Nitro! Ever think about taking Small Animal Self-Defense (or is that "Defence") lessons?

I'd be more worried about rabies than the hanta virus with rodents. Hanta tends to be a problem primarily in desert areas, from what I've read, and you're most likely to catch it from the little "presents" those guys leave in your food, than from a vicious strike attack.

But in the end, if it was me, I'd probably be sorry for the mouse and try to get him outside. I bet he'd be a pretty terrified little guy (or girl, I guess), with all those big giant legs stomping around above him!

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
greyrat
Alpha Geek
Member # 220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2000 16:46      Profile for greyrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now my girlfriend would have smacked the little beast once to render it motionless, picked it up by the tail, asked me if I wanted it, and chucked it out the window.

That's (one of the many reasons) why I love her.

"When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 293 | From: Dante's 7th circle | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 22, 2000 19:07      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mouse update:
The car was left open all day, hopefully the mouse decided to move. Especially since Nitrozac has to drive it in a few minutes. ;-)

Hanta facts:
Hanta virus is confirmed in the deer mice around where we live. It's an airborn virus, so you can pick it up from entering a closed space (like a cottage or attic) where the mice have been. A local young woman died from it a year ago.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2000 20:26      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer about that...

My observations on Hanta came from the CDC, specifically:

"So far, it's also fairly uncommon and the chances of becoming infected are low."

and

"You can become infected by exposure to their droppings..."

I got curious about it after that goofy episode of X-Files where people were being killed by their worst fears, and that one character dropped instantaneously dead from HPS.

P.S. You might be reassured to know that the CDC says "Cats aren't known to carry hantavirus", so NitroKitty should be safe if you want to use her as a means of eliminating the rodent threat.

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2000 08:15      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Saintonge:
And what is to prevent you putting a trap in there and killing it?

If you use a trap, get one that kills the thing instantly. We tried a "humane" trap once, which was basically a mouse version of flypaper. It caught the mouse all right, but it sure wasn't humane. I didn't know mice could scream in panic, and there was no way to peel him off and set him free beyond the back yard like we'd planned.

I was totally unprepared for the pressure. I ended up knocking him out with car exhaust, and then running him over. That wasn't too brilliant either, because then I had to peel the sticky trap off the car tire.

Certainly not one of my better moments.

quote:
Or for that matter, finding the painted turtle and letting them duke it out?

What if they decide to become friends instead? The other night, I saw a clip on a TV show called "Ripley's Believe It Or Else" (or something like that. ) where a monkey adopted a chicken as a pet. It was great! The monkey would swing around the play area with the chicken tucked under one arm.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Parity
Geek
Member # 429

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted June 23, 2000 09:56      Profile for Parity   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, if you want a humane mouse trap, this is how you do it. You need two coffee cans, some stiff wire, and a regular mousetrap. If you don't drink coffee or only drink the gourmet stuff, get them from a neighbor. I'm talking the standard, what are they, 14.5 oz? Something like that, the regular cans, not the jumbo ones, and -no- not the iced-coffee stuff either! Okay? Okay.

Now, take one of the cans, turn it over, and remove the bottom with a canopener. Cut it down the seam with metal shears or a hacksaw, and hammer it out flat. Yes, you get to hit things with a hammer. Whee!

Okay. Get out your good old fashioned mousetrap. Now, what you do (and you might want to play with the moving parts a bit to get this right) is fasten the mousestrap inside the intact coffee can. You probably want to punch holes in the side of the can and wire it in place - glue is going to break. Screws are going to tear through the metal. Maybe. Screws might work. If you're lucky. Your choice. Anyway, take the flat coffee can, and wire it to the snappy-part of the mouse-trap, so when the mousetrap gets triggered, in slams the flat can over the top of the open can, trapping the mouse inside.

I think. To be honest, I've never made one, and the last time I -saw- one was when I was like, 12 years old. I think I might go buy a mousetrap and try to put one of these together this weekend. Maybe I can get some more exact instructions together.

(If you must know, the one I saw was owned by one of the park staff at a place we were doing summer camp, and it was used to catch mice to feed to the semi-tame snakes. The snakes were never kept beyond a single summer, for fear of over-domesticating them and having them lose their ability to survive in the wild. Anyway.)

------------------
Parity Bit

Posts: 212 | From: Appended to the Data Bits | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
CyberShoe
Newbie Larva
Member # 459

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 23, 2000 14:57      Profile for CyberShoe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

On the topic of humane mousetraps...

Once while visiting a friend's cottage nestled somewhere in the vast expanse of Ontario wilderness, a small furry rodent decided that the abundant supply of food in the kitchen would make this cottage the ideal place for him to hang out. Rather than let him get settled in, and perhaps call up some of his woodland homies to chill around the Cheetos, we decided that an eviction was necessary.

So my friend's dad went rummaging around the storage area and found this old, supposedly humane mousetrap. The mechanism worked something as follows: the unfortunate mouse wanders into the entry tunnel of the device, lured either by his/her love of exploration, or the bait placed within. After stepping on a strategically placed pressure pad, a large metal paddle swings down, and bitchslaps the mouse over a partition into the next chamber. The mouse can then be released, presumably alive, but likely brain-damaged, and condemned to stagger around in circles in the wilderness untill some random feline carnivore decides to stop and put it out of its misery.

I decided to intervene.

I immediately switched into MacGuyver mode, and becan scouring the cottage for materials with which to build a temporary abode for Mickey Jr. until we could release him, preferably far away from the cottage and its inhabitants. I settled on a design comprised of a discarded beer box (6 pack of bottles) and the cardboard backing from a pad of sketch paper. The theory was, the mouse would enter in through a hole in the side of the box, towards the bait. The weight of the mouse would then make the floor of the box lower, pulling flaps down over the entryway, effectively containing the little dude pending relocation.

It worked, kinda. The mouse wandered in, and was trapped for a substantial period of time (as evidenced by the proliferation of mouse pellets found in the box the following morning). Unfortunately, I had forgotten that mice have a certain capacity for chewing through natural fibres, and our intrepid mouseketeer decided to make his own exit.

Foil one of my plans, will you?

Bitchslap the bugger.

- Adam

Posts: 9 | From: Hamilton, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 25, 2003 15:38      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very funny!! So what ever happened to the little guy?!? [Big Grin] I can't say I've ever had a mouse in the car. But I have had some flies that absolutly had to be eliminated or at least viciously shoo-ed out of the car.

Though there was one time we were staying on a house boat in Lake Powell and a bat flew into the boat. It was chased by my Dad and I with fishing nets and tennis rackets.

Sorry, I'm bored today. So I thought I'd go digging up some retro GC threads. [Smile]

Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2003 16:04            Edit/Delete Post 
I had a mouse years ago in my house. I found humane live traps at the local ACO. It was a small lightweight grey plastic box about the size of a mouse. Basically it has a spring loaded door that closes when the mouse walks towards the back of the trap it tips slightly releasing the door. Take the trap far away from the home, open it and release it to the wild. The spring loaded door has such a low power spring there is no chance of it chopping off a body part. It is also safe for pets and childeren it they happen to come across it.
IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 25, 2003 17:18      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by evilbibo:
safe for pets and childeren

Where can I get one?? [Razz]
Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2003 17:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, mouse stories.

We ended up with two wild mice as pets, one that we rescued from a cat (mousey), and can't remember how we came across the other one(grey). Anyway, grey never quite tamed up as much as the first, and kept chewing through the mouse cage. One day we had them in the bathtub while cleaning their cage out. Grey decided he'd had enough, and while our back was turned, jumped out of the bathtub and ran to freedom!

Unfortunately, Mousey got very unhappy at losing his companion (they were both male, we think), and started pining(hardly coming out to eat, etc). Not even his favourite heavy metal music would help. So we decided it was time to let him go in the bush near our place. So we let him out, along with a bag of oats nearby in case he got hungry. He scurried across my foot as he went in a very cute way, and that was the last we saw of him.

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MistecMcetsiM
Mini Geek
Member # 2212

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2003 21:29      Profile for MistecMcetsiM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, you drew everyone into reading this post by relying upon their need for violent content. I'm going to start a post with the subject, "put through a meat-grinder and then beaten with a..." lol Sorry to hear about your mouse encounter.

Me, my mother and sister saw a mouse one day at our last house, and we were all scaredy-cats (heh, cats). We were huddled together in the master bedroom on top of the bed like the cowards we were mentally beaten by something with the brain the size of a peanut. I look back now and laugh, but I have to admit that if I saw a mouse today (I'm 22), I'd still be scared. Nice thinking with the scraper. You never can be too careful with rabies/other diseases. I feel your pain.

--------------------
Mistakes are inevitable, but to fear failure is the real mistake. ~Me

Posts: 79 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fixerbob
Alpha Geek
Member # 1587

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 01, 2003 15:19      Profile for Fixerbob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay !
Go Go Nitrokitty !!!!

[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Posts: 301 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2003 07:18      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is also safe for pets and childeren it they happen to come across it.
So Bibo, could you clarify? does the trap catch mice, or pets and children, or both... Might have to pick some up next time I go babysitting for the neighbors... [evil]

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2003 08:22      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nasty story was related about a mouse by a friend of mine. Their house was full of them and they were a nuisance. Anyway, one day he saw one disappear into the top of the toaster to get the crumbs at the bottom. So he turned it on. Anyway, the mouse limped out, and hid behind the microwve, which he then slammed against the wall, killing the little blighter.

And the sickest thing is- they still use that toaster. I couldn't understand why he didn't just stick something on the top, and trao it, but still...

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2003 09:01            Edit/Delete Post 
Just mice ;p Perhaps a shrew too.

I recently found out shrews emit a toxin in their saliva. When I lived at my parents we had shrews in the basement, I would catch them wearing gloves, put them in a paper bag and release them in a field. Guess it's a good thing I had on gloves and never got bitten!

quote:
Originally posted by Punk Rawk Poet:
quote:
It is also safe for pets and childeren it they happen to come across it.
So Bibo, could you clarify? does the trap catch mice, or pets and children, or both... Might have to pick some up next time I go babysitting for the neighbors... [evil]

IP: Logged
GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 03, 2003 00:00      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fear the fearsome fury of the forest fawns1!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 11 posted July 03, 2003 01:08      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fear the rodent race! We will some day take over the world! Only rodents are true terrorists! Fear the squirrel and the mouse as they own j00 mommma last night!!

Im done--

Nya Nya,
TCTQ

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2003 07:01      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rodents owned my mother? I feel sorry for them... that would be cruelty to animals (sorry mom) But really, you tiny critterfolk best watch your back, Spungo would probably prefer sheep, but I'm sure ya'll aren't far out of bounds. Good luck what with the world domination and all.

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2003 15:22      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...wow, this is an old thread...
Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 03, 2003 16:38      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerry ownz all forms of rodentia. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture