homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » OSX Panther - bag o'sh1t or heap o'junk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OSX Panther - bag o'sh1t or heap o'junk?
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 13:55      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuggin Panther fuggin bag o'sh1t...

I've now installed twice - first time I did a clean install; second time I erased everything before installing 10.2.7, then 10.2.8 then upgrading to 10.3.0 and finally 10.3.1

And I'm having more crashes than Windows...

From a cold boot, I get to the login screen, type my password and the trackpad cursor freezes. Power off and restart, I get through the login and then it gets random - but within minutes it'll crash and tell me I need to power off. So I do that, restart with Apple-S and run fsck (I disabled journaling but it made no difference to the crashing) - and every time, I see this message:

ASC::rWPM WARNING: couldn't find IOPlatformMonitor

I can find no reference to this message anywhere on apple.com, and I've seen no other posts about the hanging mouse there anywhere.

However, when I finally DO manage to get it running, it seems to be OK - but it's so much hassle to get to that point that I begin to wonder if it's really worth it.

I'm now thinking I'm going to reinstall, go back to 10.2.8 and forget about 10.3.x.

Fuggin piece of krrrepp...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 14:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me a Luddite, but I still run OS9 on my PowerBook at work...nice and stable. Oh, and at home I still run Win98 on my 933 w/ 256 MB.

My main work machine has Win2K. XP blows goat.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 14:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there seems to be a trend developing here...

apple release a new version (or a s/w update)

most people have no problem

a few people have *lots* of problems.

It's been the same story with just about every new release.

Much as I hate to sound like a M$ fan, the windoze releases don't seem to have the same problem, which is strange, as wondoze runs on a far greater variety of hardware. Maybe they spend more on testing the install scripts.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 14:28      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't really had any problems with it myself. Although the other day after an update I got a kernel panic. Nothing unusual since then, though.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 14:57            Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem I had was due to my old ATi card circa 1997 not being compatible to run my 2nd display. Can't really blame that one on Apple, I was surprised it ran in previous versions of OSX.

I also made sure to run disk first aid and repair permissions before installing.

IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 17:47      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heh a mac crashing? My XP machine is rock solid, until I start messing with overclocking but that can hardly be attributed to the OS... I even heard M$ was considering putting in a more *nix like command line interface for Longhorn... *enters twilight for a moment* What if one day windows was the most stable OS out there and apples were the patch-a-day, stable as an epilleptic emu Operating System of the masses? ... *hugs his various Linux ISOs* I'm scared [weep]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 22:14      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IO extentions have to do with storage devices, Bluetooth and audio. They're in the extentions folder in the system library. That probably doesn't really help, but sometimes just knowing where something is can be the first step to finding out what's wrong. [ohwell] I'm not really a trouble shooting expert. Did you try repairing permissions? Maybe you should run DiskWarrior and see what that comes up with.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 00:30      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gang... I think...

GMX, thanks, some useful stuff there - I've repaired permissions from inside OSX as well as from the install CD and it hasn't made the slightest difference.

Oh well, DiskWarrior here we come...

I've also heard that - if available - a reinstall using the Archive option is worth a go, gosh I'm in for a fun weekend - if I can ever get out of the damn office!

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 22, 2003 09:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aw man [Frown]

i'm sorry for your loss of geek glee with Panther. [weep]
I do hope things install better soon.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 22, 2003 12:06      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Argh. Double posted. See below [Smile]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 22, 2003 12:10      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll weigh in on this:

Jaguar-----------vs.----------Panther

Finally stable------------------Not even close
Easy to use -------------------Easier to use
Slightly inconsistent theme ------Theme? What theme?
Finder that clocks on NFS--------Finder that simply hangs
Good printer support -----------Great printer support
Easy window management-------Expose
Sorta fast --------------------Really fast
Easy to install-----------------Easier to pay someone
Security bugs ----------------Really bad security bugs
Slow user switching------------Buggy user switching
Reliable X11 emulation ---------Integrated bad emulation
Good mail app ----------------Better mail app
Works with SMB----------------Worst Samba ever
Stable APIs--------------------Random API support

These are just my personal experiences, of course. Your mileage may very, void where prohibited, etc.

You won't catch me using Panther. 10.3.8, maybe. The developer lists are so full of complaints (pixels rendering in inverse on japanese language installs? WTF?) that I am amazed they released it.

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 13:40      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"This week, Oi 'ave mostly bin... fuggin' about with OSX Panther..."

...and so, a week later, here I am, back at OS 10.2.7 as originally installed... So far so what, but at least it seems to be running smoothly, no crashes (yet...) but gawd, does it seem old-fash after my brief taste of the sleek UI of Panfur...

<hey-U class="shrug"> [ohwell] </hey-U>

So now it's the waiting game: "they say" (whoever the fug "they" are) that 10.3.3 is in beta and that it's "ready for prime time"... Wait and see, time will tell...

For me, if this reinstall stays steady for a few days, I'll go back up to 10.2.8, but Panfur?, well, sorr-ee Mr Jobs Sir, but once bitten twice shy...

WS, I think I'm with you on this: 10.3.8/hope it'll be worth the wait...

I don't mind beta testing stuff, gawd knows I've done my share this year with things like Microsatan/Powerdaft, but I'm afraid that from here on it's a case of "you want me to test it? Sure - but show me the money" first...

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 14:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey hey U, what machine are you putting it on?
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 15:33      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Powerbook G4, 12"/1GHz/768, maybe 5/6 weeks old...
Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to Little Sister
Sex in a silver box, she's so-o-o-o... sexy?
BTW, 10.2.7 rox... [Big Grin] Big time... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 19:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you've only had it that long you still qualify for free tech support from Apple. Give them a call and see what they say.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture