homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Matrix in IMAX question (no spoilers please)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Matrix in IMAX question (no spoilers please)
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 5 posted November 09, 2003 10:26            Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question for anyone that has seen the latest Matrix movie in an IMAX theater. Is the movie shown in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio (are there black bars on the top and bottom of the screen) or has it been cropped to fill the IMAX square screen? Seeing on the huge screen would be cool but not if 2/3 of the images has been cropped out.

Here is an example of the aspect ratios
 -

IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2003 16:18      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it looked liek it was the original 16:9. Stunning. About half way through I got sick. Headache/nausia/eyes hurt
Oh well. I held out and saw it all [Smile]
The sound quality was stunning

evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2003 21:34            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. We opted to see it in the regular size and I think that was a good choice as I could already see the film grain on the stanard screen.
IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2003 21:58      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX had their own custom spools. The video had small black bars on top and bottom so it was in it's original 16:9 format, but it must have been at a higher resolution then the regular theatre cut because it still looked stunning.

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 13, 2003 20:07      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMAX was great, and it was in 16:9 like everyone else said. Thumping bass and I almost got a seizure from the flashing lights during a certain scene. An awesome movie going experience if you ask me. [Wink]

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2003 12:04      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:
The IMAX was great, and it was in 16:9 like everyone else said. Thumping bass and I almost got a seizure from the flashing lights during a certain scene. An awesome movie going experience if you ask me. [Wink]

I was sick for the rest of the day!
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 14, 2003 16:07      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was sick for the rest of the day!
damn! I need to find one of these things!

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture