homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » the Androids!! yay!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the Androids!! yay!!
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2003 03:06      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'do it with madonna' - great video, wicked song, love the name, what does everyone else think?

also, where did that band go, what's their name? idlewild! anyone heard of them/know where they are?

love from your friend in the biscuit tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2003 08:09      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I really like The Androids' new single [Big Grin] It's annoyingly catchy, though - I've had it stuck in my head all day. The video is somewhat creepy... particularly the bit where you've got Madonna sitting on Britney (or is it Britney's mother's?) back, slapping her butt [Eek!]

Idlewild? Idlewild are an excellent band, methinks. Last I heard they supported Coldplay on their European tour... and the last single they had out was 'A Modern Way of Letting Go', which didn't chart that well [ohwell] ... they're probably on hiatus/writing now, since I don't think they're touring.

You must be British, right Spoongirl?

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2003 15:37      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean "Do it with Madonna" is a new single?

Has that only just come out over there?

It's already had its run here in Australia! Of course, the Androids are an Aussie band, so that might explain it [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 06:15      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No relation to The Android Sisters, I guess.
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 14, 2003 02:25      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'm British, although that makes me sound like i have a mansion and drink earl grey tea and have hunting dogs and things... or maybe not. no, i'm welsh, but i live in england.
And yeah, the Androids are new over here. getting very popular, didn't know they were an aussie band - v. cool!

--------------------

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2003 07:27      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i'm welsh
Think I'd be careful about mentioning that round here SG, or somebody will be along with the green wellies and the baler twine before you know it.
[Big Grin]
Grab your ankles and cough...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted May 15, 2003 01:21      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what's wrong with being welsh!!?? unless you conform to the ridiculous stereotyping that invades most people today. okay, we say we're open-minded, but we ALL think of certain things when thinking of nationalities, for example Ireland (not dissing at all here).
ooh, sorry! ranting a little, nothing against you mate, just had to put up with this for a long time! [Wink] whenever anyone makes the slightest comment, i feel that little speech burst out of me! sorry again,

--------------------

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2003 11:57      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry SG, looks like I hit a nerve - that'll teach me to go for the cheap shot.

For what it's worth - my family moved to Wales (North) from England (South) when I was 13. I lived there for a very long time, went to school there, got bullied for not being Welsh and everything, so believe me I *do* recognise the stereotypes you talk about - and they're everywhere. The place I'm working these days has a very cosmopolitan staff and so it goes: seems the French stereotype of the Belgians is virtually identical to the English stereotype of the Irish.

That don't make it right though, so my sincere apologies if I offended.

Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 21, 2003 02:37      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks man! very much appreciated. no, not too offended, like i said, just sick of it all the time! i put up with a lot of crap for ages, and now the slightest thing sets me off! hey-U i am still your womble loving friend [Smile]

love from the biscuit tin, Spoongirl [Wink]

--------------------

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 21, 2003 03:01      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bi 'eck Skylar lass - oops sorry, just doffing my (flat) cap to another stereotype [Wink] - did you figure that out just from Spoongirl's first post above, or has the suspicion been forming for a while? Good work!

Anyway, mad props (whatever those are) to our new friend the mad Welshwoman! That's 'mad' strictly as a term of endearment, you understand - please take it as such, a little madness helps the day go with a smile [Smile]

If you love Wombles enough that you can take a joke or two at their expense, see if you can track down the book 'The Borribles' by Michael de Larrabeiti sometime - it's hysterical. Personally I still grin each time I remember that I once managed to work "Beresford, Elizabeth. 'The wombles'. London, E. Benn, 1968" in to the reference list of a uni project [Big Grin]

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 21, 2003 05:14      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
Bi 'eck Skylar lass - oops sorry, just doffing my (flat) cap to another stereotype [Wink] - did you figure that out just from Spoongirl's first post above, or has the suspicion been forming for a while? Good work!

Thanks [Big Grin] It was pretty simple, really... she used the word 'wicked' meaning 'cool,' and Americans/Canadians don't really do that. Plus, she was talking about The Androids single just about the time it came out here. And then she mentioned Idlewild, who aren't really that famous outside the UK.

Right grand, in't it, lad? (I'm from Yorkshire, so I'm fully entitled to exploit the stereotype [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] )

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2003 05:21      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SG: Diolch, cariad...
Glad we're all still friends. [Smile]

Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 05, 2003 00:53      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey hey! Welsh! Whoo-hoo! You just made my day!

Love from the biscuit tin, Spoongirl;)

--------------------

perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 04:02      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Thanks [Big Grin] It was pretty simple, really... she used the word 'wicked' meaning 'cool,' and Americans/Canadians don't really do that.

Hey, you can't take away my right to say 'wicked.' The expression is also common in New England. [Wink]
Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 15:24      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by perfectstormy:
Hey, you can't take away my right to say 'wicked.' The expression is also common in New England. [Wink]

Give me a piece of pizza and you may have the right back [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 09, 2003 00:31      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZA!!!!!!!

GIVE ME PIZZA!! I'M DIETING AND HAVE HAD NO PIZZA IN MONTHS!! PIZZAAAAA!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

please... [Frown] [Roll Eyes] [Happytears]

feed me...

love from the EMPTY biscuit tin, Spoongirl [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture