homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » 12 monkeys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 12 monkeys
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2002 18:32      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok... it sucked.
worst. movie. ever.
worse than anythign that i've seen
it started off kinda ok...
the time travel stuff was dumb
the plot twist at the end was awefull (read backwards bellow for the spolier)
A group called 12 monkeys set off a virus which was transprted through animals to kill people, which forced osome humans so live under ground (humans could no longer live on the surface). Bruce willis plays a guy who will receive a full pardon for saving humanity from this fate by stopping 12 monkeys from spreadingthe virus, allowing humans to stay on the surface.

My small problem is this-would he still have done his crimes under ground there if he wasn't forced to live underground? of course not. he wouldn't havebeen there. i don't think the really did it right

.si ti ohw wonk yeht won niaga mih pots ot emit ni kcab levart dluoc yeht hguoht neve, ti od ot no seog tsug ohw, yug rehto emos saw ti dna, suriv eht htiw gnibmob eht od t'ndid dne eht ni (puorg eht) syeknom 21

------------------

“Water outside boat good. Water inside boat bad. Water in air bad” - “Tim”

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2002 18:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ilovemydualg4 wrote:
worst. movie. ever.

You need a better frame of reference for what constitutes a bad movie. Go find a copy of Ed Wood's "Orgy of the Dead" and watch it.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2002 19:03      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
ilovemydualg4 wrote:
worst. movie. ever.

You need a better frame of reference for what constitutes a bad movie. Go find a copy of Ed Wood's "Orgy of the Dead" and watch it.

for some reason i have a bad fealing about this...

------------------

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2002 20:41      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
ilovemydualg4 wrote:
worst. movie. ever.

I agree with Steen. My recommendation would be "Nymphoid Barbarians in Dinosaur Hell." It's the sort of movie that you expect it to be so bad it's funny, and are amazed to find out it ain't. I doubt even MST3K would be able to make it interesting.

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 05:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely hated it the first time I saw it - esp. Brad Pitt's crap acting... but it got a whole lot better the second time 'round.

It certainly was never in the same turkey category as Police Academy n*, for example.

(* the set of just about all integers greater than 0.)

------------------
"But you've got everything now
and what a terrible mess I've made of my life."

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 08, 2002 07:16      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote would be for Night of the Lepus-about giant man-eating rabbits. For some strange reason, though, I have to watch it every time it's on...

------------------
"I didn't know all of them."

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 13:36      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
My small problem is this-would he still have done his crimes under ground there if he wasn't forced to live underground? of course not. he wouldn't havebeen there. i don't think the really did it right

all time travel winds up with such paradoxes in some way or another..

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 16:11      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too, had a huge problem with the plot twist; especially those really cheesy shots of the animals roaming all over the city.

However, I thought Brad Pitt's acting (especially when we first see him in the mental institution) was a damn sight better than Bruce Willis' acting, or lack thereof.

As for worst movie ever, I nominate "Plan Nine From Outer Space" (also by Ed Wood), though I think this is sooo bad it's actually good. Otherwise, that Melissa Joan Hart film, "Drive Me Crazy" which was just plain wrong,

sky

------------------
Ssh... don't wake him! He has insomnia and he's trying to sleep it off.

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 16:44      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i believe it was the first 'family guy' where the tv goes out, and the wife goes
'but don't you love how on tv there are all of those plot twists at just the right moment?
(william shatner knocks on door, and jumping arround the screen says...)
'Hello citizen. My-car-broke down outside...'

heheh

------------------

Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 18:46      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:

I can understand your not liking the movie. It was a bit strange but I think they attempted to cover the end. If you remember the phone call right before the end he says they didn't do it... he never said who did though. If you get right down to it I think the lady is the weaker link. She is very much alive and a first hand witness unless the virus took her out shortly after the first casualty. Aren't time paradoxes fun?

Anyway, just thought I would toss $0.02 into the mix.

Now, as for worst movie I saw... hmmmmmm... I would really have to lean on a Karate Kangaroo movie I saw as a double feature with Men in Black. (My first drivin experience ) We ended up leaving in the middle of the movie but not before MST3King it to shreds.

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
chicgeek
Geek
Member # 1556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 22:09      Profile for chicgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst movies:

There's a whole genre of mutated-animals-taking-over-the-world movies, such as Kingdom of the Spiders, Swarm, etc.

Also:
Mommie Dearest
Barbarella
(from what I've heard -- I haven't actually seen it)
All Scream movies, etc.

Oh yeah, and I hated Shrek. (Good thing I'm wearing flame-retardent clothing.)

------------------
"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire

Posts: 235 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2002 04:08      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tremors and tremors 2 and tremors 3 were all good though

------------------

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2002 06:10      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked what I saw of 12 Monkeys, the only problem being that I've never managed to watch it all the way through. Every time I watch it I fall asleep somewhere in the middle and wake up just in time for the plot twist at the end. It's pretty annoying as I don't actually think it's that boring. It just seems that watching it coincides with me having major attacks of 'sleep catch-up'. Stargate is the other film I can't watch without dozing off in front of (in fact I even fell asleep in the middle when it was on it a different room once), although film-wise that wasn't as good (the SG-1 series is pretty good though).
Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 12, 2002 04:33      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you either get Terry Gilliam or you don't - and if you spend too long thinking 'But if x did y then that's wrong because z was...' then you don't. I mean, obviously Brazil sucked because nobody would ever make a computer with, like, a real typewriter for a keyboard, so obviously that was totally unrealistic...

...so anyway I liked it...

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2002 11:06      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when I first see Brad Pitt made weird move with hands. At moment, I thought it was sign language.
Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jas
Geek
Member # 1528

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 20:47      Profile for Jas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for worst movie ever, I nominate "Plan Nine From Outer Space" (also by Ed Wood), though I think this is sooo bad it's actually good. Otherwise, that Melissa Joan Hart film, "Drive Me Crazy" which was just plain wrong,

sky

[/B][/QUOTE]

defnintly.

god that spoiler was annoying to read =\

------------------
I. Love. MUSIC!

Posts: 225 | From: Land of Blues Guitar | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chris Moss
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2002 05:47      Profile for Chris Moss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
However, I thought Brad Pitt's acting (especially when we first see him in the mental institution) was a damn sight better than Bruce Willis' acting, or lack thereof.

Strange how we differ. I enjoyed this movie and don't mind the fact that the all too obvious paradoxes (paradoces?) are hard to resolve. One thing, though, that I am sure of, is that Brad Pitt's representation of a psychotic is like unto no patient I have ever treated. (BTW, note how Russell Crowe chose to use the same mannerisms when attempting to portray schizophrenia in 'A Beautiful Mind'- but better not get me started on that atrocity!) What many people will not realise is that, intentionally or not, Bruce Willis gives one of the best impressions of a schizophrenic I have ever seen when he is being interviewed by the panel of doctors in the hospital. He says things that we know make sense and are true, given that we know he has travelled from the future. To the doctors, he is saying things that are typically schizophrenic, and with the puzzled air of someone with a delusional mood, trying to make a reconciliation between what their illness tells them is true, and what the outside world says. Ironic that Pitt was hailed for being so flamboyantly mad, when Willis did it so well, and wasn't even really mad!

------------------
SACD's & SET's!

Posts: 20 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2002 12:20      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

I wasn't really trying to judge the accuracy of Brad Pitt's portrayal (unlike yourself, I'm in no position to do this). I simply found him more... watchable, I suppose. He entertained and intrigued me consistenly, unlike Bruce Willis. To my mind, that was more important than accuracy (but hey, I know not everyone feels that way). Maybe it's because he fit the bill of what the average person thinks the average "mental patient" is like. I don't know. It's like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man; his performance does not seem particularly to resemble any autistic people I know (my brother is autistic, so I have known and met a few), but I still really enjoyed the movie

sky

------------------
To do is to be - Rousseau
To be is to do - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chris Moss
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2002 17:12      Profile for Chris Moss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
[B Maybe it's because he fit the bill of what the average person thinks the average "mental patient" is like. I don't know. It's like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man; his performance does not seem particularly to resemble any autistic people I know (my brother is autistic, so I have known and met a few), but I still really enjoyed the movie

sky

[/B]

My son is autistic. It's entirely predictable that there will be a high incidence of autism amongst the denizens of these groups and their families!

------------------
SACD's & SET's!

Posts: 20 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2002 10:22      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it- very interesting visuals. As someone mentioned before, you either like Terry Gilliam or you don't. Brad Pitt was just spooky-good in his portrayal of that nutcase. I really liked his drifting eye.
Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture