homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » school meal plans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: school meal plans
pakratt
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1000

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted March 08, 2002 04:31      Profile for pakratt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering what people think of their meal plans at school. I guess I'm trying to figure out what schools have decent food.

My first school, Colorado School of Mines, had a very good cafeteria. The guy who ran everything would take requests, walk around and see what we thought, it was very well run and the food was excellent.

My current school, Georgia Tech, quickly inspired me to learn to cook. Not much variety, too greasy, just not much of a dining experience.

Anyway, what are other universities like? I'll start looking at grad schools soon, maybe it'll influence my decision.

Posts: 30 | From: LA/GA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2002 04:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's a total crock. But I jsut fried my brain writing a research proposal so I won't say more.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted March 08, 2002 05:43      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the school cafeteria, but the work one. Not sure what it is they serve here, but it sure does not resemble or taste like any form of food known.

Give me a match and a can of petrol and I would put the poor concoctions ouf of their misery. Actually, a match and a can of petrol might make them taste better.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2002 06:41      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only school cafeterias I could recommend were at Arizona State. Of course, that was close to 20 years ago, so there may have been some changes.

The worst was Northern Arizona University; the only place I ever ate at where the hot food was warm, the cold stuff was cool and the toaster caught fire several times a day.

I was reminded of the food at NAU by McDonald's ad for the Chicken Parmagean Sandwich, which has no parmagean whatsoever.
When they had Chicken Parmagean at NAU, we were given a chicken patty. No sauce, no cheese. When asked about what they were serving, management couldn't understand the difference between the two.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2002 17:01      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My high school's cafeteria is terrible - I question wether some of the stuff they serve is food or toxic waste.

MIT, on the other hand, has some decent on-campus cafes.

-Andrew

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 13 posted March 10, 2002 19:17      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I avoided eatin school lunch whenever possible............Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2002 23:39      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the vending machines, partially because it's cheaper than the campus food, and partially because I have to trek across a soccer field to get there, but the vending machines are right downstairs... I'm guessing most of my instructers do the same, since their office's are in the same building.

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2002 12:04      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I know that Sedexo(who bought out Mariot food services) does not have a great variety but they do a good job on the foods that they only have to open a package and throw in the oven. They don't do a good job on the foods that they actualy have to prepare from scratch. It is also expencive comeing at about $5 per meal if you go on the full mean plan. there are plans for 5 meals a week and 10 meals a week. For this price I can go to a fast food place every day or eat cheap at a fast food place for breakfast and lunch and eat at a slightly nicer place for dinner.

Well I am in accounting class right now so this probably isn't the best time for me to be writing so I will rant on this later.

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
biogeek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2002 12:15            Edit/Delete Post 
My school suscribed to ARA (now known as Aramark). We referred to it as the evil empire. We had mandatory 4 year meal plans and were required to have one even if we lived off campus. the result was that we brought tupperware to the dining hall and stole food mercilessly. After school I worked for the government where the company who had the contract had maintained that contract for more than 20 years. Expensive and many many grey vegetables. They would randomly close the cafeteria two hours early some nights.

IP: Logged
TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 16, 2002 17:25      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by biogeek:
My school suscribed to ARA (now known as Aramark). We referred to it as the evil empire.

hmmm, i always thought that was m$, known to windows users as the evil ones from redmond.

and yes, i am a windows user <sob> who is seriously considering changing to linux.

and, yes, i know this is off topic; oh well....

------------------
.--. .-. --- - ---

Posts: 250 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2002 21:46      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by biogeek:
My school suscribed to ARA (now known as Aramark). We referred to it as the evil empire.

Aramark's well known for having a monopoly at MIT, too.

-Andrew

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture