homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Jeans vs. Khakis (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jeans vs. Khakis
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 04:40      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heya. This was a topic of discussion in the #joyoftech room recently, and I thought I might bring it over to the forums.
Ok, this is for all you females. Do you think a guy looks better wearing jeans, or khakis? (usually)

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 07:05      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If by jeans vs. khakis you mean dressed down vs. dressed up for my own guy I'd go with dressed down (see he wears khaki cargo shorts, but they really can't be called khakis). I mean he looks good dressed up, but he doesn't look comfortable, so I'd rather him in jeans and a t-shirt. Now guys in general, I'd still have to go with the dressed down/jeans. But I think that has a lot to do with working with guys dressed in khakis all day.

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 09:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the guy. Some guys just aren't meant to be super-dressed up. They look all out of place and uncomfortable. Likewise, sonme aren't meant to be dressed down for similar reasons.

Mine looks good in both.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 10:10      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything but those pants with extra pockets everywhere. I know people like them, but they make you look very lumpy and fat.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 11:56      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jeans, hands down.
khakis tend to stretch out in places during the course of the day resulting in, among other things, bubblebutt - not particularly attractive in my book. and those pleated ones, heh, don't even get me started [Wink]

(hi guys!)

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 12:29      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! sosumi's back! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup] I don't like khakis either. Too preppie.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 12:38      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to it depending on the guy as Xantine said, it also depends on the occasion.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 13:42      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hi sosumi! Welcome back [Big Grin] )

I'd go for jeans, because there is potential for jeans to look so very scruffy, and as I've stated a number of times, when it comes to guys, I like chaps who look scruffy, indeed [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] ... mind you, I don't think GM wears jeans so much... but he is particularly scruffy a lot of the time... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 14:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I prefer Dockers/khakis, but I guess I don't really need to give it any thought, given the above [Wink] . [/me is flattered, thanks love.]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 02, 2003 16:54      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I hope I look best in the REI ex officio (or whatever they are called) zip-off pants.

'Cause that's what I'm going to wear [Smile]

Actually, I try to dress appropriately, but given the choice I am in khaki colored "travel wear".

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 17:38            Edit/Delete Post 
I avoid Dockers/khakis at all costs! I have only worn a pair of black dockers a handful of times as Apple required them for working for them giving Demos. And yes I was very uncomfortable in them! My daily attire is either blue or black jeans and a t-shirt. I guess I just don't get the whole abercrombie look of khakis, pooka shell necklace and frosted tipped hair. But then I did do the whole preppy look in the early 80s for some reason, now the only polo shirt in my closet has an Apple logo and was only worn for the Demo days.
IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 04, 2003 04:59      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AGGHHH! Do not associate me with the evil realms of Prepia. I would shave my head before bleaching the tips. I just like khakis. They're very nice and loose. I don't like something that constricts around your legs. If I could just find jean pants (*pants*, not the shorts that go down to the ankles [Wink] haha) then I would wear them, but all the one I've tried on at the stores so far were way too tight. I couldn't even lift my leg up more than 90 degrees. ...ThinkGeek should sell pants....

By the way, what is a pooka?

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2003 05:23      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeans are great. I only wear jeans, of any style too. I never got into the khaki look, just not me. I do own a pair of khakis but I don't have anything to go with them that looks good. I prefer my jeans and t-shirts anyday. I've only own one shirt from gap, abercromie, old navy, etc. My parents bought me an old navy shirt for christman, I was looking at them wondering, "what in the world?" Cuz its one thing to get clothes for winter but it's really odd when you get shirts like that that you dont wear and they ought to know. All my clothes are from wall-mart or tg. [Smile] gotta love those places.

Speaking of t-shirts, there are an amazing large number of people on campus wearing thinkgeek t-shirts. I was pretty surprised actually. Guess I should have expected it from a Tech school though.

Tony Rad

BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2003 06:17      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mercury_Blue: www.dictionary.com lists pooka as "A mischievous spirit in Irish folklore." but what evilbibo is referring to is a shell. They're small and white. Pretty boys who shop at Abercrombie and American Eagle wear them with their casual khakis and tiny little graphic tees.

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2003 07:27            Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, yeah khakis aren't really preppy per se they seem to be the everyday wear of the youth today (sheesh I sound like gramps there) and required wear in the retail world.

I guess what I'm saying to me khakis are like Windows and I'm not one of the 93% that wear them.

In no way am I saying they should not be worn, they just aren't "my" style.

quote:
Originally posted by Mercury_Blue:
AGGHHH! Do not associate me with the evil realms of Prepia. I would shave my head before bleaching the tips. I just like khakis. They're very nice and loose. I don't like something that constricts around your legs. If I could just find jean pants (*pants*, not the shorts that go down to the ankles [Wink] haha) then I would wear them, but all the one I've tried on at the stores so far were way too tight. I couldn't even lift my leg up more than 90 degrees. ...ThinkGeek should sell pants....

IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2003 11:32      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer jeans over khakis, but khakis aren't bad. Anyway, they're what Mr. SF wears nearly every day when it's too cold for shorts, and he looks just fine in them.

Pukka-shell necklaces, on the other hand, are horrible, cheesy, ridiculous, and tacky. Unless you are a hula dancer. [Wink]

Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 05, 2003 23:54      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, ya, last time i checked i wasn't a hula dancer...*checks for grass skirt and coconut bra*. Hehe. But I can see why you people might relate those khaki shorts with the preps. They do seem to wear them a lot. But oh well. All I have in my closet/ on my chair/bedpost/floor/desk are khaki pants...and t-shirts. But I don't really care about my wardrobe. I buy the cheap stuff that's comfortable and durable. I cant see how these people can fork over 50 dollars for a name brand pair of pants or shirt or something. It's ridiculous. Most of the times those big name brands are anyway of lesser quality than some other cheaper things.
DrPepper
Geek
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2003 04:02      Profile for DrPepper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like work pants, they just feel the most comfortable. And before they've been washed a bunch of times they hold there scotch guard and you can spill on yourself and not have it soak in. They last forever too.

Did I mention they're cheap?

neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2003 10:34      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

A pooka, to be more precise, is a mythical creature in irish folklore that took the form of horses to pull very cruel pranks on people..

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2003 15:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
quote:

A pooka, to be more precise, is a mythical creature in irish folklore that took the form of horses to pull very cruel pranks on people..
Or, if you're a Jimmy Stewart fan, a Pooka is a large invisible rabbit called Harvey.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2003 15:23      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok, this is for all you females. Do you think a guy looks better wearing jeans, or khakis? (usually)

Hmmm... I think I prefer my guy to be wearing....

Abso-freakin'-lutely nuthin'!

[Big Grin]

After that, all I care about is a smile. He can worry about his pants, because his tooshie looks super-yummy in either khakis or jeans.
As for other guys, eh, whatever they're comfortable in is what they look best in. Though I do believe CLEAN is quite important in the whole gist of things.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2003 15:33      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um... KILTS!

Of the 3 Utilikilts I have, my fave is the black UK. I think it suits me best. And a Kilt beats jeans or khakis anyday for comfort.

Sadly, after 6 months, I'm starting to get some pushback at work about it....

=DB

FREEEEEDOM!

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2003 16:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalBill:
Um... KILTS!

Ah yes, the Kilt.
Because Real Men have nothing to hide [Wink]

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2003 20:15      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalBill:
Um... KILTS!

So you like the way other men look in kilts... Hm. Interesting.

See, Mercury_Blue Originally posted:
quote:
Just asking... [Razz]

[Big Grin]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
aberrantgeek
Geek
Member # 2336

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2003 05:26      Profile for aberrantgeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the fact that I wear neither the reason that girls find it funny to kick me in the testicals? I have worn kilts before though.

--------------------
"Everyone's life sucks" -Jerry Seinfield

AIM SN=aberrantgeek

Posts: 106 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture