homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I'm going to die alone.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm going to die alone.
Dr Psyclops
Geek
Member # 2440

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 15, 2003 20:59      Profile for Dr Psyclops         Edit/Delete Post 
...as alone as Indie rock Pete.
Posts: 132 | From: Escaped into the waves... | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2003 21:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd much rather die alone than with people watching.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2003 21:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, time to be the boring dragon again.

I remember reading here something about a study that showed that people will actually try very hard to die alone. If they are in a hospital, they will notice when people go in and out, and wait until the room is clear. That and dying in one's sleep... Anyway, I'd just assume not think about death - it happens.

However, if you're talking about relationships and whatnot, yeah, I'd just assume not live up to my last days alone...I'm sure you'll find someone before then - just don't sit here at your computer expecting something to magically happen...act. To use GM's phrase, though I question the wording and other stuff, I might as well say it, "Carpe Geekium"

Cheers.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2003 01:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone dies alone.

</depressing>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2003 05:25      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you rather die together with someone? If you're lucky whatever kills you will kill those around you as well. Otherwise you'll have to arrange it.

But thats a bit selfish, don't you think?

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2003 13:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so concerned about dying alone as I am about dying the way I was born: buck naked and screaming.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2003 13:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I dunno, depending on the circumstances, naked and screaming could be quite a nice way to go. [evil]

btw - one of my favourite .sig lines.....

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did,
not screaming in panic like the passengers in his bus

p.s.
I like the lab rat avatar.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2003 13:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like it too. [Big Grin]

THe thing about buck naked and screaming is I'd like to think I'd made some progress in life. [Wink]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Dr Psyclops
Geek
Member # 2440

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 16, 2003 13:25      Profile for Dr Psyclops         Edit/Delete Post 
The dragon is right! Where is my ham radio equipment?!

--------------------
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is glad I am there.
-Robert L. Humphrey

Posts: 132 | From: Escaped into the waves... | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2003 13:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Psyclops:
The dragon is right! Where is my ham radio equipment?!

Um, I'm glad you like my words, but that's not a all what I said - go out and find a girl!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MonikaTheOnlyOne
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 17:27      Profile for MonikaTheOnlyOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am scared of dying alone. I would prefer dying while my husband holds my hand [hearts] (I am not married, but I am assuming that, by that time, I will be married). I hate it when I am sick and alone. I feel so helpless... Am I being childish and cheesy? I love being childish and cheesy!! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Monika

I can't depend on your hate to define my love
Am I strong enough to love your soul?
Love doesn't care to receive what it gives
Bleeding compassion to extreme
Love stretches out to die for its enemies
Hey you, I love your soul!

Posts: 30 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 24, 2003 20:37      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever seen the movie, Donnie Darko? It's really strange and warped [and a little depressing for me at times], but it's starting to grow on me. The part where Donnie tells his psychiatrist that the 'old crazy lady' told him that everyone dies alone popped in my head... following with the example he gives her to show that there's truth in it, which was that right before his dog was about to die, it crawled under the front porch to get away from everyone... Interesting movie.

I think it's likely that I won't die alone - there's always someone around at the most important moments, whether I want them there or not. But that and the rest of the bothering issues aside, I think my death will be very interesting.

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 24, 2003 20:46      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Psyclops:
...as alone as Indie rock Pete.

Oooh, I like the Diesel Sweeties comic too! [Big Grin]

Mmm, quite! Kewhewhewhew...

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2003 02:26      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes:
Has anyone ever seen the movie, Donnie Darko?

Yes indeedy! Probably the best movie of the last few years... and a spiffing soundtrack to boot (esp. the final scene with the slow version of 'Mad World').

quote:
MonikaTheOnlyOne:
I am scared of dying alone.

Then don't. I, for one, will be taking my work colleagues with me. Just repeat this mantra: I am the Angel of Death. The hour of purification will soon be at hand. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture