homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Cloning?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cloning?
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 20, 2003 11:17      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One question: If you were cloned, would you like you?

Second question: If you were cloned but the gender altered, would you date you? (For the sake of arguments, ignore considerations of genetics and redundant genes)

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2003 12:13      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would like me, but wouldn't date me. I guess the clone would be effected by environmental changes and would be bring other life experiences to the relationship. On the other hand, it would be a little too much like dating your brother.... ugh
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Noldoaran
Geek
Member # 2003

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2003 14:16      Profile for Noldoaran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
Second question: If you were cloned but the gender altered, would you date you?

Or in other words would you date some one who is complementary(same strenghs and weaknesses) or supplimentary(their strenghts are your weaknesses and vice-versa)??
Posts: 228 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2003 14:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

That depends, where's my wife during all this?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 20, 2003 14:59      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need to be cloned. I already have an evil twin. [evil]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2003 15:06      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're talking about the way cloning works in the real world, it would of course depend mostly on how the clone was raised. And considering the age difference, dating wouldn't really work. Then again, if I start now I can have a nice young thing to keep me company when I'm in my forties. Ahem. Anyway...

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2003 16:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you were cloned but the gender altered, would you date you?

/me, still trying to rid myself of the mental image of a female me.
Far too much like a 'Priscilla - Queen of the Desert' flashback.
The horror, the horror !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

magebard
Geek
Member # 1266

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2003 18:08      Profile for magebard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you were cloned, would you like you?

That's more a matter of personality which, I think, is affected more by environment than genetics. However, assuming the same personality and experiences, then yes.

quote:
If you were cloned but the gender altered, would you date you?

Assuming equivalent personality and experiences, again yes. If I had the time and money that is, which I don't.

--------------------
"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks." - Winston Churchill

Posts: 116 | From: vancouver, bc, canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2003 15:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I assume you're assuming that this clone would also have all your emmories and personality. If so, I'm not sure. It would be an odd expereince. I do know that I coould look myself in the eye, but like myself? Not sure.
If the clone is just a person who looks like me, but has none of my quirks, traits, etc., I'm not sure. I'd have to talk to her first. [Smile]

quote:
Second question: If you were cloned but the gender altered, would you date you? (For the sake of arguments, ignore considerations of genetics and redundant genes)
Um, no. That would be like dating a sibling.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2003 15:30      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We cannot assume, as others have pointed out, that the clone would be anything like you personality wise... The thing about it would be that my clone would be significantly younger than me (as we don't have any way to control aging) and thus I think I would find my clone very annoying... Reminding me constantly of my past faults as s/he reaches the ages that I made my silliest mistakes.

If there were a complete clone (personality and all) who was identical in every way *except* gender, I would probably not want to spend any time with them and probably would not date them. We would have no reason to talk, we'd have no points to argue (and I like debating) and so neither of us would grow or benifit from eachother's company.

If the she-clone wasn't identical personality wise there wasn't any gentic considerations, and we grew up apart so I was unaware of they were a clone... It would depend on all things that any relationships depend.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2003 12:32      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I would probably not want to spend any time with them and probably would not date them.

I should think not! [Razz]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2003 14:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big question in this remains unanswered, whould Spungo date Dolly the sheep?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2003 16:47      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
The big question in this remains unanswered, whould Spungo date Dolly the sheep?

I don't think he's into necrophilia as well, since Dolly is an ex sheep. [Eek!]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2003 16:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I don't think he's into necrophilia as well, since Dolly is an ex sheep. [Eek!]
He must be getting boring in his old age.

--------------------

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2003 17:36      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a clone would be bad. I'ld get drunk with myself and goad myself into some stupid prank that would get the both of me killed. It's far safer for only one of me to be around.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2003 18:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROTFLMAO!
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2003 03:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure I'd end up taking advantage of myself, and then not call for weeks and eventually tear up all my self-portraits and go home in the middle of a rainy night, drunk and abusive and scream up at my closed and unlit bedroom window, and die of pneumonia a few days later, consumed with bitterness and gin.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2003 05:23      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, in other words, a typical Saturday night for ya? [Wink] (except for the dying part)

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2003 13:21      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhhh, I wasn't posing this as a scientific question, so don't look too deep into my statements because they are not scientifically founded.

When I said a clone, I was meaning an exact copy, I only used the word clone because thats the word that we use in English. I did not infer anything about the method gone about to acheive this clone.

Uhhh, I think I would hate my clone. Definitely, i wouldn't get on with them at all...

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
chicken.e
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2380

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2003 21:21      Profile for chicken.e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
#1: If you were cloned, would you like you?
At the first contact, I wouldn't like my duplicate, I would find him quite annoying. Once I get to know him better (assuming , I would start seeing him as an "enemy", from a competitive point of view. We both would mostly end up killing ourselves.

I also was wondering what would occur if one of us (my duplicate or myself) finds out about their "copy" without the other being aware ...

#2: the sex-inverted duplicate ...

We both would feel attracted at first contact (not physically, but emotionally), but it would not last that much. We would become bored of ourselves.

--------------------
*** The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. (Marcel Proust) ***

Posts: 19 | From: the rainiest place in Central America | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The_Psychogenius
Mini Geek
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2003 05:23      Profile for The_Psychogenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

1.)If I were cloned, not sure. Remembering back to when I was a kid, I was pretty snotty and rotten (I think I still am, just more refined), so no. But then guessing how my love life is going, in total conjunction with Karma, I'll probably end up with a clone of myself. Oh the horror.....

2.)Heck no, not unless we have the same interests and are of 2 different families (needless to say it can't/would-not be my clone). That'd be like fookin' my sister.

--------------------
Chaos, and Lunacy are all good things.

Posts: 79 | From: Everett, Wa | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2003 06:59      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Are you kidding? It's pretty sad, though, when your only chance of action is to wait for human cloning to become viable.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture