homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » The big day approaches... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The big day approaches...
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 00:15      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... I mean of course, Valentine's day.

Never was there such a loathesome holiday.

When you are single, you have to deal with people generally behaving in a nauseating fashion. Or better yet, the pity. "I have a friend who likes computers..." Oh brother. Here we go again.

When you aren't single, there is pressure. Do I get him a card? A card and a gift? Is he getting me anything? Are we doing anything? Of course, you can't just ask. What if it is supposed to be a surprise? Not to mention, if it has been going on for a while there may be the possibility of the "M" word and some jewelry coming into play.

It's enough to make a girl barricade herself in the house with a bottle of vodka, a pint of Ben and Jerry's, and a copy of Dr. Strangelove.

So, I've been dating this guy. The four letter "L" word has been said. Today he says "I'm not sure what to do for Valentine's day."

I said "I know."

The poor man. He actually said "What?"

I said "Order a pizza, get drunk, and kick your a** at age of kings."

I'm pretty sure I suck at the girlfriend thing.

Anyone else have plans yet?

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 01:58      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as usual i'm going to have to pay extra money to the post office, to manage the large number of bags of valentines cards i get sent every year

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 02:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the last postal strike because of you? ... and the failed privatisation attempt?... [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Chump
Geek
Member # 593

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 06:37      Profile for The Chump   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
I said "Order a pizza, get drunk, and kick your a** at age of kings."

Sounds good to me. My wife and I are going to go to Joe's Crabshack. Some home and get drunk while playing The Sims for PS2. And *ahem* other things.

--------------------
Vedi Vidi Velcro "I came, I saw, I stuck around"
quality in posting since dec 2000

Posts: 184 | From: In my chair, in front of my laptop, at my desk, in my kitchen, in my aprtment, o | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 08:46      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
as usual i'm going to have to pay extra money to the post office, to manage the large number of bags of valentines cards i get sent every year

Well, if you'd put your email addy on your profile, maybe just your computer would get overloaded. [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 08:48      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to gather all my voodoo dolls of men who've done me wrong and have a big bonfire...so if any of you out there feel hot come V-Day.... [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aycolite
Newbie Larva
Member # 896

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 08:51      Profile for Aycolite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason every time I think St. Valentine's day the next word is "massacre"....

--------------------
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons....for you are crunchy and good with catsup

Posts: 9 | From: McClure Pennslvania America (USA) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 12:06      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fiance and I are trying to save money for the honeymoon and a trip to Kansas this spring so I can meet his mother, so we're just exchanging cards and going to a movie. Probably Daredevil, since none of the other movies I want to see interest him. We've already seen LOTR and Chicago. I do like the idea of Dr. Strangelove and some Ben & Jerry's, except I'll have to change the B&J's (<--just noticed what that looks like [Eek!] ) to some sorbet. I've actually managed to lose 7 pounds since Christmas (half a stone for you brits) and I don't want to ruin that.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 14:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, what day of the week is that? Friday? Well, probably the usual: go to karate, then out for Thai food with my hungry friends. Maybe if I'm feeling like a real dinger I'll also sign up for a shift that night.

The best way to handle Valentine's Day when you're single is ignore it. It'll be gone in ~24 hours.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 10 posted February 05, 2003 17:00      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nada. I try to ignore it as well. Just another day. I think I might try gettin a date though, but I've been asking her for quite awhile but we're too busy and don't have time to do much. Maybe I'll find somebody else.. or sit home and talk to you guys on here. [Smile]

Tony Rad

--------------------
~Live by the Sword~Die by the Sword~

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 18:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to try and get a date with someone that day. Otherwise i'd do my best to ignore it, though it's getting annoying with all the ads that make it sound like it's this Friday.

Now, I pose a question to the good people here. What should I get her for 'V-Day,' given that our relationship is a bit unclear, leaning more towards friends right now. If I need to lean toward this side that day, what can I get that has an appropriate touch of romanticism, without being over the top? I also don't want to spend too much if we're not actually going out.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 19:00      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Now, I pose a question to the good people here. What should I get her for 'V-Day,' given that our relationship is a bit unclear, leaning more towards friends right now.

Well if you took me to V-Day I would sure be impressed. The only question is, can you listen to the word "vagina" without laughing?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 19:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Well if you took me to V-Day I would sure be impressed. The only question is, can you listen to the word "vagina" without laughing?

I saw that one coming a mile away, but chose to stick with my wording. Hmm, given the nature of that, I think I'd avoid laughing, as it seems like a pretty serious matter.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 20:28      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PB, I think B&J do some sorbets as well.

DM, well, if she says yes to a date a rose would be appropriate. Not just for valentine's day either.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 21:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PB, I think B&J do some sorbets as well.

DM, well, if she says yes to a date a rose would be appropriate. Not just for valentine's day either.

Not trying to be stingy, but rather an aesthetically pleasing thing - how does a single rose seem? I was thinking about roses before, and the key phrase above would have to be 'if she says yes to a date.'

P.S. This is scary:
 -

Source: http://www.ucomics.com/cathy/2003/02/05/
[Discovered in today's newspaper]

--------------------

SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 22:22      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the single rose, DM. It's romantic, and on a first date a full dozen would be overkill.
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 03:10      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first Valentines' Day ever upon which I will actually be in a relationship with someone, I hope [Smile] ... as a result, I would, if I could, do something fantastically special, and romantic, to mark the occasion. I know this is in fact but a day on a calendar which has been chosen for us, and that you don't have to limit romantic gestures to February 14th... but the fact is that romance is just on everyone's minds on Valentines' Day, and thus the day is rendered special whether you like it or not [Razz]

Having said that, there's the small matter of a few thousand miles preventing me from showing up on a doorstep in Wisconsin with a Fire and Ice rose and a smile... but in spirit it will be a special day, definitely. [Smile]

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
conspiracyFreak
Newbie Larva
Member # 1926

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 05:16      Profile for conspiracyFreak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm pretty sure I suck at the girlfriend thing.

I'm gonna go out and find me one of those girls that "suck at the girlfriend thing".

[Wink]

--------------------
...don't believe me? Check out http://bushcrimefamily.tripod.com

Posts: 8 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 08:51      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the single rose, DM. It's romantic, and on a first date a full dozen would be overkill.
Not to mention that a dozen roses are also quite expensive, and if your investing money like that, you may as well get something that she can have longer than the life of a rose. Although there is a certian poety to a single rose, as it is indeed a beautiful thing, whose short life makes it an even more rare and special thing.

A full dozen would also slow down the progression to the door... (need a vase... get the water, the food, take off all the little water containers... ) and you might miss the begining of V-Day....

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 09:03      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first Valentines' Day ever upon which I will actually be in a relationship with someone, I hope
You hope it's the first? You hope your in a relationship? I don't... Because if your in a relationship, that means you'd have dumped me and found a new geek...

as a result, I would, if I could, do something fantastically special, and romantic, to mark the occasion. I know this is in fact but a day on a calendar which has been chosen for us, and that you don't have to limit romantic gestures to February 14th...
Who ever implyed that it limited anything? And isn't every day you spend with this new geek speical?

But the fact is that romance is just on everyone's minds on Valentines' Day, and thus the day is rendered special whether you like it or not
I'd like it, but it seems I'm being dumped for another geek... *sniff*

Having said that, there's the small matter of a few thousand miles preventing me from showing up on a doorstep in Wisconsin with a Fire and Ice rose and a smile...
Oh, so your even going to use the fire and ice rose, I thought that was between us.... And he's in Wisconsin too? *fights back a sob* Won't you be a little cold if all you'll have is a rose and a smile? Oh my.. that means that you'll be... [Eek!] [Embarrassed] [Mad] [Eek!]

but in spirit it will be a special day, definitely.
Sounds like your planning something... BTW, you haven't sent the PM.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 10:17      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Never was there such a loathesome holiday.

Sing it, sister.

Anyone else have plans yet?

Always. I do this every V-Day, regardless of whether or not I'm in a relationship. This year, since my friends and I are not attached at the hip to anyone, we are celebrating the true bitterness of the holiday.

The Plan:

New Haven
Dinner: Thai, sushi or something equally pretentious. Also, liquor. And chocolate.
Limosine: more liquor, including my friend Lucie's imported Czech vodka.
Revelry and bitterness ensues as we hop from bar to bar collecting terrible pick up lines, accepting free drinks and then turning indifferent and cold. Numbers to be collected and burned at a later date. Possible table dancing. More liquor.

Finale: toasts to the ones that got away, shameless self-pity and a huge tip for the limo driver.
Return, sleep, hangover, brunch...

There is nothing more beautiful than celebrating your independence as a righteous woman, especially on such a day that's seems designed to make you hate yourself for being so.

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
erp
Assimilated
Member # 602

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 06, 2003 13:02      Profile for erp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are there women who get so bitter around this holiday?

*attempts to answer own question*

Could it be because they have some pent up jealousy for every person in a decent relationship?

If so...

...then shame on you! If there's one thing that I think is extremely unattractive and upsetting it's someone who's unnecessarily jealous.

If not...

...Could it be that they have plenty of battlescars on their heart, related to this date?

If so...

...let me remind you, the fact that your still kicking is a sign that you should be stronger because of it. Bury the monkees and relax, the one will come along soon enough.

If not...

...Could it be that they are just plain lonely, and that loneliness manifests itself as spite and a desire to get drunk and mean?

If so...

...I feel your pain, but disagree with your behavior. Valentine's day for a single person is not Valentine's day, it's just another day. So relax, let go, realize that it's o.k. to be single. Don't get all bent out of shape by a marketing machine that wants to sell choclate and flowers to every 2-bit sap. Being bitter isn't going to attract the sweet guys.

If not...

...Then I have no idea. [Wink]

--------------------
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Posts: 484 | From: beneath the Gables of Coral | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 18:02      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by erp:

...I feel your pain, but disagree with your behavior. Valentine's day for a single person is not Valentine's day, it's just another day. So relax, let go, realize that it's o.k. to be single. Don't get all bent out of shape by a marketing machine that wants to sell choclate and flowers to every 2-bit sap. Being bitter isn't going to attract the sweet guys.

I think perhaps you missed the point of my post, so let me clarify...

1) the idea of "tongue in cheek" applies here

2) the plan has nothing to do with attracting sweet guys, or creeps, or anyone really. The point is to celebrate being phenomenal women. Also, it's fun to be ridiculously self-indulgent once in a while as it's a good stress release and it puts things in perspective

3) As I said, I've done this kind of thing every year for the past 5 years, even while I was in relationships. I've never really celebrated V-Day the conventional way because I don't support the idea of orchestrating romance according to some commercial holiday that was invented in 1911. The kinds of things people do on Feb. 14th should be done all the time; at least, that's what I expect from a relationship. I always noticed, however, that I had friends and acquaintances that always got depressed around V-Day and never recognized how fabulous they were. So I started organizing these nights out. We're all over 21 and we're all responsible individuals, hence renting the limo. We all have a good time and a lot of laughs and we in fact end up celebrating the idea of being who we are instead of lamenting the idea that we don't have a partner to make us feel good about ourselves. If that's wrong, then I'm glad I'm guilty. I've spent enough nights and Valentine's Days watching my friends cry into pints of Ben and Jerry's and believe me, I'd rather do this.

Incidentally, I know that many people who post here do not agree with drinking at all and that's fine. I respect that. I'm not advocating any kind of hedonism here, unless you're already a hedonist like I am. [Wink] Certainly, you can celebrate phenomenal womanhood sans controlled substances. But I definitely think chocolate should be involved...and it should be ridiculously overpriced chocolate. Another alternative, if you don't enjoy the bar scene (and who does, really) is to go to a sappy "chick flick" and deconstruct it a la MST3K. Just be careful not to get thrown out of the theater...

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 12:49      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rock on! I remember back in high school me and a some of my friends didn't have dates for the prom, so we threw a "Not Going to Prom Party". Even one gal from school who got stood up showed up at my party. We all rented _First Wives Club_ and had popcorn, sodas, lots of chocolate, and had a fun night in with the girls. We had a blast! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 13:09      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You go, girl!

From one phenom to another, I salute you.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture