homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Chobits

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chobits
dorkthenerd
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2428

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted November 03, 2003 19:52      Profile for dorkthenerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want a good geek anime thats funny, romantic, questionable, and is ecchi(kinda hentia like), then you want to download some of this anime. Chobits takes place in Tokyo, with our main character who is a Ronin(someone who fails to pass the test to get into a college). Most of all the residence of Tokyo have robots, called Persecons. Our main character can not afford one, but finds one in the trash. The story goes from there. There are 27 episodes, all avalable on some websites and, of course, Kazaa. Its a fan-sub, so its free. This anime has not been licenced in the good old U S of A. The art is good, but the main character's eyes freak me out(watch it, you will see what I mean). I am only on episode 13 right now, and its getting better.

If you want an anime that will make you laugh, cry, and have a sudden urge to get the lotion, this is the one.*(Please take consideration that this anime will not make you want to get the lotion, it not that ecchi)*

Posts: 3 | From: Brawley, Ca | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2003 21:23      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a "Ronin" was a master-less samurai. . .

And as for being unable to get into a college, doesn't Tokyo have community colleges? I can't imagine what you'd have to do to be denied access to an open-admission school. . .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 08:16      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dorkthennerd: its been licensed since last March. Bravo. chobits has a few funny episodes.(like when Chii goes to buy underwear) i thought the ending and much of hte plot was horrible tho.
quote:
And as for being unable to get into a college, doesn't Tokyo have community colleges? I can't imagine what you'd have to do to be denied access to an open-admission school. . .
the main character is trying to get into Tokyo University. the most prestigious university in japan. in order to get in you must take an entrance exam. Most people fail this entrance exam numerous times before getting in. So in order to increase the chances to get in he attends prep school like many others and is a ronin - sort of a student without a college

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dorkthenerd
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2428

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted November 04, 2003 18:40      Profile for dorkthenerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I had no idea that it was licenced. Well, I guess I should stop sharing it now. And the Chii goes to buy underwear is an awesome episode.
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 08:01      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Pantsu!"

And I believe the spelling is "Pasokon", mainly because I speak a little Japanese. The word is currently in use and is just an abbreviation for personal computer. Or Pasonaru Konpyuutaa, as they would probably put it. In katakana, normally.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 21:16      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's pasokan, though that depends on whether you're listening to the japanese, or reading the english subtitles [Wink] , the subtitles it's persocom (to key to the brains of silly english speaking gits [Razz] )

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dorkthenerd
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 20:03      Profile for dorkthenerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right, I checked agian, it is spelled persocom, but a few others spell it persocon. Anyway, the subtitles are pretty accruate, but my spelling is not.
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2003 06:14      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be because the vowelless japanese "n" is also pronounced more of an "m" in certain places, like in konpyuutaa or tenpura.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture