homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I expect to be welcomed with open arms.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I expect to be welcomed with open arms.
Kt Smith
Mini Geek
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted August 04, 2003 00:59      Profile for Kt Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and if open arms are not provided I shall either kill you all or find a corner somewhere to cry.

I am almost as new as a bee can get, yet I want to share with you all my deepest, darkest secrets. What I am about to say may shock you and if not it will make you stare at the computer screen with an eyebrow raised and wonder what drugs I am on, but the answer is none(that I am aware of).

The big secret is that I prefer the term "NERD" to "GEEK". I'm not sure of the difference, and if there is one I'd like to know what it is. So, from now onwards I shall be refered to as the geek who rebeled and is now called a nerd.

--------------------
Cheese, no-one can beat it.

Posts: 67 | From: Mars | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 03:12      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Kt, nice to see you here - even if you do ask tricky questions!

The only example of the nerd v. geek debate I can recall was in a book called 'Microserfs' by Douglas Coupland about 10 years ago, and - if I remember correctly - the theory was that it was as much to do with 'hireability' as anything: geeks realise that they have to pay the bills, but nerds would rather starve to death than compromise their personal belief systems by doing anything as vulgar as working for a living. [Wink] Or something... As I say, it's a long time since I read that book - but I'm sure our other friends here will be more than happy to put me right and give you an explanation of breathtaking clarity and simplicity. [Smile]

Enjoy your time here and post lots!

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 05:04      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd open my arms to you, but I lack proper medical equipment to do it safely myself. And that could get messy.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 10:53      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol;
welcome.

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted August 04, 2003 17:14      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello and welcome to the forums, you're bound to enjoy our posts. I'd show you My arms but the UN weapons inspectors are having a hard time locating them at the moment...............Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Private i
Mini Geek
Member # 2328

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 18:53      Profile for Private i     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll unzip my arms for you tho.
Welcome

As to the geek/nerd thing, I always assumed a geek was a more open armed/minded version of a nerd.
*shrug*

See you around

Posts: 65 | From: Ipswich MA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 19:02      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is how I always thought of it:

All nerds are geeks. Not all geeks are nerds. Nerds are the "uncool" types. Non-nerd geeks are the geeks that are cool, and/or accepted by others.

I know that didn't make any sense. Crap. Oh well, at least I hve accomplished confusing myself.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 04, 2003 20:29      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am neither a nerd nor a geek. I am a close relative to a parasitic plant lacking chlorophyll and leaves and true stems and roots and reproducing by spores. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 20:51      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted August 04, 2003 21:58            Edit/Delete Post 
ZorroTheFox: I'd show you My arms ...
lol

IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 23:11      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...so I guess that, by and large, we're mostly 'armless...
[insert groan graemlin here]

DrPepper
Geek
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 00:56      Profile for DrPepper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
...so I guess that, by and large, we're mostly 'armless...
[insert groan graemlin here]

Yikes, I missread that as groin graemlin! Regardless, welcome!
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 06:16      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh -- I'm sure I've posted this before, but I guess some people never learn: http://www.catandgirl.com/view.cgi?94

Kt, behold open arms of welcome!

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 14:13      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They keep my arms tied around tightly to my chest in a nice white jacket although the sleaves are a little too long. I only get a few minutes in which to use the computer each day so I use this time wisely to persue my favorite passtime which is to take over the world. When I am not doing that I talk at people here.
Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 23:25      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
rw: ...I'm sure I've posted this before, but I guess some people never learn: http://www.catandgirl.com/view.cgi?94
You may well have posted it before, but I hadn't seen it... Pretty damn good, I reckon, one for the Fave Geeky Websites thread, 'For Future Reference' section?...

"Not without a permit", indeed...

[Wink]

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 00:13      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FatGnome, I absolutely love your avatar! [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 00:42      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange... The avatars said *exactly* the same thing about FG...
[crazy]

Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 15:06      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

If you want, come and join us on the geekculture IRC channel. It is #joyoftech on the Slashnet server. Look forward to talking with you [Smile]

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 14:54      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
open arms huh...mine are in a straight jacket at the moment i'll get back to you
if you're wondering i'm typing with my teeth...
[Roll Eyes] [Confused]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 14:49      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MTB takes my greeting... heh heh you a funny woman. Mine are just tied across my chest with a white jacket with sleaves that are too long. I find it comfortable in there. A little hot this summer but cozy in the winter.

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2003 15:50      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forums! As to the nerd/geek debate, the only difference I have been able to find in the dictionary definitions is that nerds were never people who bit off the heads of chickens. Perhaps that is why you would rather be nerd than geek? [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 15, 2003 22:30      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kt, glad to have you aboad. [Smile]

Hope you have a wonderful time at the forums. [Smile]

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture