homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Where are you all from (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Where are you all from
nmace
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1671

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted October 20, 2002 10:37      Profile for nmace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was browsing through one of the forums and notice that quite a few people's IP's were logged from the eastern side of the US.

i saw someone from KY, another from OH, and some TN people. so i got to thinking that a thread about where we are at in "real" life would be interested.

i'll go 1st. i'm from WV(not from a town....i grew up in the boonies [Wink] ) but now i'm living in Charleston

where are you guys all from? if you don't mind me asking that is

Nathan

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 11:22      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm... the OLD forums used to display this information on each post. Hrm... anyway... I guess I'll go first.

I'm from Southwest Lower Michigan, about 2 miles east of Lake Michigan, and 16 miles north of Indiana. (If anyone can figure out the town I'm from, I'll donate 1000 points in their name to the American Points Foundation.)

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 11:35      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The home of the Kentucky Derby, land of the mullet and pickup truck. [Smile]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
JGall
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 11:38      Profile for JGall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, myself, am from the location of Woodbury, Minnesota. Woodbury is a town of about 40,000 people and is a 30 minute drive to St Paul. Where I go to school, which is in Menomonie, Wisconsin, the drive really is not too bad, only about an hour and 15 minutes or so.
Posts: 36 | From: Woodbury, MN, USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 15:15      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i live in my cave near New Haven, Connecticut

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kyle Thorpe
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 18:00      Profile for Kyle Thorpe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everett, Wa "The Land of the Morons" this is practiclly except for a few.
Posts: 10 | From: Everett, Wa | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 18:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A suburb of North Seattle, though I go to school in upstate NY. The idea was to get as far from home as possible. I intend to go back west for grad school. It's too fscking flat out here.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 18:21      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Thorpe:
Everett, Wa "The Land of the Morons" this is practiclly except for a few.

Yes I know you.. I know the best exception to your description too [Big Grin]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 18:38      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the *gasp* third dimension

and how exactly do you know where our ips are originating from?

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 18:39            Edit/Delete Post 
Unless there's something I've not been let into, IPs can only seen by the powers that be... not us.

As for where I am, study this post carefully...

IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 17:55      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm crammed in between Seattle and Tacoma.............Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 19:06      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:

Oh yeah? Well I'm shoved between Tacoma and Graham. Of course, technically I live outside the city limits of Puyallup, so it's between Puyallup and Tacoma, but close enough damnit.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 11:38      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Hrm... the OLD forums used to display this information on each post. Hrm... anyway... I guess I'll go first.

I'm from Southwest Lower Michigan, about 2 miles east of Lake Michigan, and 16 miles north of Indiana. (If anyone can figure out the town I'm from, I'll donate 1000 points in their name to the American Points Foundation.)

I'm thinking if you had a mini-DV camera and enough geeky friends, you could produce your own remake of "Dune"

My goodness I've traveled that stretch of road so much, as well as the Red Arrow Highway, which I think crosses 94 around the 16-mile marker.

We played St. Joe, Niles, Benton Harbor and Dogpatch -- uh, Dowagiac in High School.

Bridgman?

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spacebot
Geek Apprentice
Member # 362

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 12:10      Profile for spacebot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

Rock on. I'm there, too. Not from here. though! I'd like to say I think of the car-truck over the pickup truck. You know what I mean. It's kind of like half car and half truck (El Camino!). The drivers usually drink PBR and listen to the Coug.

-- spacebot

Posts: 43 | From: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 22, 2002 12:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spacebot:
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

Rock on. I'm there, too. Not from here. though! I'd like to say I think of the car-truck over the pickup truck. You know what I mean. It's kind of like half car and half truck (El Camino!). The drivers usually drink PBR and listen to the Coug.

-- spacebot

They used to be more plentiful than they are now. If you see one now, it's bound to have lots of primer and body putty holding it together. The average Kentuckian now is more likely to have a have a custom pick up with pinstripes, or if they're younger they have what I like to call clown cars. You know, something like a Jetta or some other small car with those little-bitty wheels that stick out on the side, and two big sub-woofers in the back pounding out some terrible gansta rap. The Seventies just recently ended here, so now were in the Eighties. That's why there's lots of mullets and women with poofy hair. And one more thing-There's "Classic Rock" 24 hours a day! As if you hadn't heard Bob Seger, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, ZZ Top, Journey and Styx enough. Then for some of them once was more than enough. [Big Grin] This ends my Kentucky rant...
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 12:43      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I have a close friend in Holland... so I'm gonna guess that place since its the only place I know [Wink]

<hr>

I now reside in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Area...

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted October 22, 2002 15:36      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, you poor poor souls living between metropolitan districts, I have much sympathy for ye. [Roll Eyes]

If there's a bright spot on this planet, I live at the place it's farthest from. That's right, the small town of Fairbanks, Alaska. The nearest quasi-metropolitan area is 300 miles away, and the nearest truly metropolitan area (Seattle-Tacoma) is a full 3 hour flight.

As for my given location, that's just where I think I am (emotionally).

-Oz

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 15:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Y'know, when my dad and sister were driving my bro and I home from our latest Mt. Rainier escapade we passed through there (like we had a choice, huh?). It was rather dark and I was a bit tired, so all I really remember about Milton is the allergy attack I had on crossing city limits. Maybe it was some sort of pollen. Maybe it was pollution. Or maybe it was your influence? [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 17:38      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As is says on the bottom of this post, I'm from Elk Grove, CA. Not everyone knows where that is, but if you know where Sacramento is then you're just a few miles north. Let me know if any of you are in the area. [Smile]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Darren Duncan
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 18:13      Profile for Darren Duncan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nmace:
i saw someone from KY, another from OH, and some TN people. so i got to thinking that a thread about where we are at in "real" life would be interested.
where are you guys all from? if you don't mind me asking that is
Nathan

Well, this seems to be a good time for me to post *something* on this board.

I live near Sidney, BC, CA, which is called "Sidney by the Sea" or a "book town" or "that place" depending what you read. I live about a 20 minute drive away from the world-famous "Buchard Gardens", about a 30 minute drive from Victoria BC (part of what is widely known as "Silicon Valley North" due to the hundreds or thousands of tech companies here, or "that place with all flower baskets hanging on lamp posts"), and about a 40 minute drive from Sooke BC, where a favorite natural attraction is "the Potholes".

Given the large tech industry here, I imagine that some of you would be in the general area, would you not?

My job is in Victoria and I work for a small (about 30 people) and matureish (20 years old) private software company as a programmer or software engineer. The company makes large database driven applications that talk to Oracle. The current big project is a toolkit for making web front ends to database applications.

On my own time I am also making a database or web application that is a cross between a multimedia metadata catalogue and a genealogy program. I'm making the proof of concept with Perl right now.

Right now my main challenges are finding enough time to do everything I need or want to do.

Posts: 27 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Darren Duncan
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 18:27      Profile for Darren Duncan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
[QB]'Excuse me, I have to go blow somethign up..... It's a military thing....'-Col. Jack. O'Neil
QB]

So we have another Stargate SG1 fan here? So am I. In fact, I even visited the set a month ago. Nice time that was.
Posts: 27 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted October 22, 2002 18:50      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

Y'know, when my dad and sister were driving my bro and I home from our latest Mt. Rainier escapade we passed through there (like we had a choice, huh?). It was rather dark and I was a bit tired, so all I really remember about Milton is the allergy attack I had on crossing city limits. Maybe it was some sort of pollen. Maybe it was pollution. Or maybe it was your influence? [Big Grin]
I've been told that since I moved in an ominous cloud has emerged over Milton, I thought it was just Six Flags........Z
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted October 22, 2002 18:51      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
quote:

Oh yeah? Well I'm shoved between Tacoma and Graham. Of course, technically I live outside the city limits of Puyallup, so it's between Puyallup and Tacoma, but close enough damnit.
you really are in the ghetto aren't you [Eek!] ........Z
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 18:59      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
quote:

I'm thinking if you had a mini-DV camera and enough geeky friends, you could produce your own remake of "Dune"

My goodness I've traveled that stretch of road so much, as well as the Red Arrow Highway, which I think crosses 94 around the 16-mile marker.

We played St. Joe, Niles, Benton Harbor and Dogpatch -- uh, Dowagiac in High School.

Bridgman?

Colonel Panic

Uh oh! I've been discovered! Wow, I'm impressed, you MUST'VE traveled I-94 many times to remember dinky little Bridgman (or B-town as the kiddies call it), the town with one stop light.. If you havn't been through in a while, you might notice our (relatively) new left turn lanes. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2002 19:48      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone asks, I'm from Fairbanks, Alaska, aka the Middle of Nowhere (really, it is. Look on a map). But if they actually are in a positon to find out the truth, I must confess that I'm in Wausau Wisconsin *shudder*. Wausau. I think it's the native word for 'far-away'. God, get me out of this town... It's big enough to be evil and big, yet apparently too small to have ANYTHING entertaining to do. At least fairbanks (motto: Why build a town here? Why not!) has things to do. TAKE ME NOW! I'VE LIVED A GOOD LIFE! PLEASE LET IT END!

Ahem. Sorry. Not that I'm bitter. I mean, there are big towns nearby. NOT THAT THAT HELPS ME ANY!
Ahem. Anyway.

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture