homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » My Condolences (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My Condolences
blindman
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2301

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 06:12      Profile for blindman         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading AY2K and Joy of Tech for many years and not registered for the forum, but I just had to in order to offer my condolences. It's a good thing that you got to talk to your dad beforehand, as you say - talk to your loved ones, if only to say Hi!
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 23, 2003 07:58      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Nitro. My condolences go out to you.

I know this was posted months back but I'm posting it again since your letter reminded me of the promises that made to myself after my aunt passed away... be well and bless your family in your times of need.

TiW

As long as I live, I promise:

To walk a little more and appreciate the time it takes to get to new destinations.
To not just stop and smell the roses, but appreciate everything else around it.
To breath a little deeper and speak less out of turn.
To remember my past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Not to worry about life, but to allow living to happen.
Not to be afraid of failure, but to learn from my mistakes.
Not to be critical, without expecting it in return.
Not to shelter my emotions, but to allow others in.

Always to listen to my heart, and never pressure against my will.
Always to believe in myself, and not only follow the image of others.
Always to recognize my abilities, never limiting myself and grow.
Always to share, everything that I know.

Never to be dishonest, with those that are honest with me.
Never to cause harm, to those who are weaker or pose no threat.
Never to speak badly of those that can't speak back.
Never to benefit selflessly on the back of others.

My heart, not only to those that I love, but to everyone.
My soul, to guide me in difficult decisions.
My spirt, to share my outlook on life.
My dreams, will never fade no matter how long or ever, they shall be fulfilled.

I'll drink less spirits to artificially uplift me.
I'll eat less sugars, that sweetens my girth.
I'll watch less television, which stifles my imagination.
I'll waste less, because it only pollutes my will.

When summer comes, I will enjoy the warmth and prosperity, but never take it for granted.
When fall comes, to prepare, stand ready and deliver.
When winter comes, to provide, shelter and feed.
When spring comes, to renew, grow and begin again.

In matters of business, I shall not cheat.
In matters of enlightenment, I shall not boast.
In matters of family, I will be a part of a whole.
In matters of the heart, I will always let those know.

That my youth is not to be taken for granted, for in several years it will be missed.
That vanity will never look as good as it does now and tomorrow will look foolish.
That celebration is important, but not to excess
That exercise is important today and not something that I can put off to tomorrow.

This is the time to save and prepare for tomorrow.
This is the time to paint before the medium is too dry to work.
This is the time to write, for everyone will read my thoughts from today.
This is the time to travel, because each place has a sensation of it's own.

I won't forget those that brought me into this world.
I won't forget each person that taught me something new.
I won't forget each love that I loved.
I won't forget to say thank-you.

If I fail in any of these promises, that I will try again.
If I am contemptuous, that I will learn humility and respect.
If I am sad, to know that it's okay to cry.
If I lose everything in my life, I will never lose my self-respect.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
borgendorf
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2302

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 08:07      Profile for borgendorf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, am a daily reader, first time poster. I have not yet lost my adult parents, and I can not begin to imagine your pain. Please accept my condolences and know that I will pray for you and your family. God has a plan for us all, and does all things for good, even though it sure doesn't feel like it sometimes. Know that He is with you always.
Posts: 1 | From: Richland, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Linda Cameron
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2303

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 08:40      Profile for Linda Cameron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am sorry to hear of the loss of your dad, Nitrozac. I enjoy the daily cartoons. They are great.

P.S. How about that? Two posts from Richland, WA

evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 08:50            Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

HUGS

IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 09:36      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
</mortifed>
wow, I can't even begin to imagine what you are going threw right now. The closet thing I have had to losing a parent is losing a grandfather and that has been one of the worst events on my life.
I wish there was something I could do but I feel helpless from where I am at.
My thoughts are with you and your family
((HUGS))

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
AmyO
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2304

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 09:38      Profile for AmyO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am a long time viewer, first time poster, here to offer my condolences as well. I know how difficult it is to suddenly lose a loved one - my father died in a car accident while on vacation four years ago. I truly am sorry for your loss. Your hiatus is totally understandable, and I'm sure all of your readers support you in your time of grief.

Peace be with you.
AmyO

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 9 posted July 23, 2003 12:25      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
been there, done that (g-ma on dad's side), i know how it is...

g-dad on mom's side went into hosptial on sat
woke up monday
relapsed tuesday
probably won't make it to friday....

oh yeah, and his b-day was sunday

[weep]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 13:04      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I stated in the other thread, I'll be lighting a candle for you, Nitrozac, and your family.

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thomas_u
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2305

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 14:18      Profile for Thomas_u   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel sad and sorry after reading that your father passed away so unexpectedly.

I wish you and your family all the strength you need.

--------------------
Greetings
from the Black Forrest, Germany

Thomas_U

Posts: 4 | From: Germany | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
donnab
Mini Geek
Member # 1092

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 17:38      Profile for donnab         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for reminding us how important it is not to take our loved ones for granted.

Our thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 23, 2003 18:49      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know i said goodbye, but i had to say one last thing before i go. i have never lost a parent, but my great grandmother and my grandmother both passed on about the same time. i cannot say that i know how you feel, because everyone experiences this differently, but i can say that your family has my prayers, thoughts, and love. if you ever need anything, nitro (im pretty far south, but still), dont ever be afraid to ask.

My feelings are with your family, he must have been a great man to raise such a wonderful daughter(i dont know you well, but your very cool)
on an unrelated note...
once again, goodbye, and i hope my problems clear up

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
WCityMike
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 19:46      Profile for WCityMike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nitrozac,

I sent a private e-mail, but just wanted to extend my condolensces here, as well. A long-time reader and first-time poster.

Mike

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away." -- from the Book of Revelations, chapter 21, verse 4

"At death, 'the dewdrop slips back into the Shining Sea.' Thus it may be that when death comes, although you are annihilated as an individual and the dewdrop is lost in the sea, you at the same time return to the realization of what you have always essentially been: the drop recognizes itself to be not merely the drop it thought it was, but the Sea. So to the question 'What will we be after death?', the answer may be given, 'Everything and nothing.'" -- Stephen LaBerge, "Lucid Dreaming"

Posts: 1 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 19:54      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nitrozac, Im sorry for your loss. I can't honestly say I know what you're feeling right now, as I haven't lost any family members so far, but I'm sure I will someday, and when that day comes, I hope I can get through the ordeal, as I'm sure you will, with everyone's love and support. [cry baby]
May you all be blest by the holy Bacon.

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cissy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 20:24      Profile for Cissy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Nitro. Your site has become part of my daily routine, and I feel like you are, just a little, part of my life. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss, and wish so much that I could do something to comfort you and your family. There are so many things I could babble on about here, but I just want you to know that you're in my prayers, and my heart aches for you.
Posts: 1 | From: Pasadena, MD | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 9 posted July 23, 2003 20:30      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I imagine it has to be very tough for you now. Like you said, you do have an extended family here for you, and we will be with you if you need anything. (Look at how many people registered to offer their condolences) You'll be in my prayers, Nitro.

Tony Rad

--------------------
~Live by the Sword~Die by the Sword~

smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2003 13:11      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have my sympathy. My father-in-law passed away from colon cancer two years ago. It was a sad time for all of us, as I am sure it is for you now.

There's not much you can say during that time to make someone feel better. All the words sound hollow when they come out. All you can do is just keep on living the best you can and include them in your life for all the good parts and for all the sad parts.

I am certainly luckier than most. My parents are both still alive, and I talk to them every week. My father's parents are both still alive, and while I don't talk to them very much, I sure do appreciate them being around when I go home to visit.

--------------------
That's using your brainium!

Posts: 214 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Morte Lavie
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2102

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 25, 2003 15:06      Profile for Morte Lavie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

I have lost both my parents, but I am soooo fortunate to have had a wonderful relationship with both of them. When I moved out west, we called each other once or twice a week and shared everything. Dad was killed in an accident at work in 1986, Mom passed away almost two years ago.

Your advice about dropping everything and calling your parents was spot on. Even though I miss my parents severely, I can smile knowing that we kept no secrets and got along great. There is nothing better than that and nothing worse than losing someone you are "on the outs" with. That goes true for brothers and sisters, too.

Hang in there.

--------------------
The creator stands on his own judgment. The parasite follows the opinions of others. The creator thinks, the parasite copies. The creator produces, the parasite loots. The creator's concern is the conquest of nature. The parasite's concern is the conquest of Man. The creator requires independence - he neither serves nor rules. He deals with men by free exchange and voluntary choice. The parasite seeks power. He wants to bind all men together in common action and common slavery.

Posts: 39 | From: Rationality, Earth | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nordia
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2313

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted July 26, 2003 07:22      Profile for Nordia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've enjoyed your comic for some time now, and look forward to it each time.
So my Husband and I were saddened to hear of your loss and we extend our heartfelt sympathies to you.
We hope with time, that you will feel better.

Posts: 1 | From: Alexandria, VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
csm

SuperFan!
Member # 1281

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2003 09:07      Profile for csm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am truly saddened by your loss Nitro and Snaggy. [Frown] May thee be some peace and comfort in this madness.

--------------------
Objects in signature are funnier than they appear.

Posts: 34 | From: A well connected outhouse in Michigan | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
JabboJazz
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2314

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 26, 2003 10:33      Profile for JabboJazz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been a reader for sometime(not registered until now) and wanted to express my deepest condolences, to you and your family on your loss. It is so good that you were able to speak to your Dad, but even in this loss, know always, he will be with you forever. Depending on what you believe, you will be together again someday.

We have a saying in Greek, "Zoi se mas" "Life to us".

Take care,

Peter

Posts: 2 | From: Western New York | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 26, 2003 11:36      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nitro your father you've lost, but all is not gone.
A place in your heart, still remains warm.

And though from him, you'll gain nothing new,
You'll always have, what you've been through.

Our time here, is but an eye blinking,
Born to this world afloat, but already sinking...

To share and love, all there is to do,
In that you should not regret, just ask all who love you.

[hearts] a quick poem, but not hasty. I have a phone call to make.

Kevin Lohman

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2003 13:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry Nitrozac. It's always rough when a loved one dies, but when it's always worse when it's sudden. My thoughts are with you.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kiel
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2003 18:52      Profile for Kiel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've been reading for a few years now every day... and plan to forever.

i can't say i know what it's like to lose someone so close, but i know that things may be questioning and tough... know that all of us are still here for you, and dont intend to leave any time soon.

as a girl friend of mine once said

'if you can touch one person's life, that should make all the difference'

Posts: 3 | From: Lee's Summit, MO | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2003 08:16      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sorry Nitrozac, my grandad died 3 years ago. It was heart bracking. My Condolences to you and all your family.

Smeggy

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture