homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Duct Tape And Cover

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Duct Tape And Cover
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 13, 2003 20:44      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Red Green would approve of today's comic. After all, duct tape is "The Handyman's Secret Weapon."

I can't believe the government is telling people they should cover their windows with plastic and duct tape. Then there are a lot of stupid people actually doing it! [crazy] [Roll Eyes] Excuse me, I have to go dig my bomb shelter and go by the surplus store for my gas mask and hazmat suit. [Wink]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2003 21:13      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
I'm sure Red Green would approve of today's comic. After all, duct tape is "The Handyman's Secret Weapon."

I can't believe the government is telling people they should cover their windows with plastic and duct tape. Then there are a lot of stupid people actually doing it! [crazy] [Roll Eyes] Excuse me, I have to go dig my bomb shelter and go by the surplus store for my gas mask and hazmat suit. [Wink]

I personally like panic! [crazy]

A little trivia, and only because I've used gas masks before when I was in Art College. The canisters only last about half an hour - 3 hours, depending on the type. After that it can no longer eliminate chemical contamination. It's just a basic carbon filter after that. Also your canisters should be kept in a sealed container so it doesn't breath.

If you have the stamina, a plastic bag over your head and duct tape around your neck, should give you around 3 minutes of protect... either way... I still think panicking works for me... you breath faster and the chemicals get through your system faster. [crazy]

TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 13, 2003 23:26      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the government is trying to get people to save on heating costs. heh heh. Pretty whacky.
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 02:08      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am part of the Civil Defence in Switzerland and so have had training in AC protection. I can tell you that even 5 minutes in a gas mask and under a chemical protection cape (otherwise known as a plastic bag or giant condom) is very uncomfortable.

After Duct Tape becoming the engineer's fix-it, now it seems that it is becoming the US government's. Perhaps next time they might duct tape their mouths shut and save themselves some grief [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
RedHatDude
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 03:01      Profile for RedHatDude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

That has to be one of the funniest comics I have ever read!

Posts: 35 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 03:43      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of our teachersat school wants to wrap her room in plastic wrap
csm

SuperFan!
Member # 1281

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 04:28      Profile for csm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I feel really unprepared. I mean, if we have a nuclear attack, I'll be without my school desk for cover. [Roll Eyes]

I think it's all part of the "well, we can't tell them to grab their ankles and kiss their ass goodbye, so lets give them some hope. Who's got a good idea?" campain. Otherwise they'd have a worse problem on their hands besides a duct tape shortage.

May you live in interesting times.

--------------------
Objects in signature are funnier than they appear.

Posts: 34 | From: A well connected outhouse in Michigan | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 05:54      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No no... it's all part of the psychological operations department's attempt to portray Iraq as a dangerous enemy, instead of some poor little hole-in-the-sand shithole that we're going to blast the living hell out of just because Georgie wants some action.

If they can get people scared, then people won't realize what a crock this whole "war" is. Or so they think.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 06:38            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 06:54      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see the duct tape and cover as being a practical solution for a bio-terrorism threat but I bet it would do wonders for limiting illegal immigrants. [crazy]

Best,

Danimal

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 08:54      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be funnier if it weren't so true. What do you expect though? The U.S. government is now in the hands of people who have been telling us for years that government isn't the answer, it's the problem - talk about self-fulfilling prophecies!
Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 09:15      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of the school drills during the cold war...they would have kids duck under their desks in case of a nuclear bombing....indeed, 1 inch of wood (possibly fake wood) is going to save you from obliteration! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2003 09:26      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an Associated Press article about the popularity of duct tape, and the Master of Duct Tape, Red Green's Website.

Edit: Newsflash! Some guy did a Christo and covered his whole house in plastic and duct tape! From WKMG News.

Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2003 12:29      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the whole duct tape thing and don't know of a single person who has done it. Maybe Georgie's trying to "bind" the country together. [ohwell]

--------------------
Janeway--
Author, Artist, and Dreamer Extraordinaire

Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2003 15:37            Edit/Delete Post 

Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2003 21:24      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my... I would deffinitely put the Plastic Sheets and Duct Tape solution right up there with hiding under your desks. Good lord, what's wrong with this government? Drugs, I suspect. Lots and lots of drugs.

Plus, the Duct Tape is now not avaliable for normal, hardworking geeks who NEED it for their daily lives. Cheez.

On another note, I attended a peace rally today. It was fun. I felt very hippie.

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 17, 2003 08:35      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should invest that duct tape. I would be rich-bastard! [Mad]
Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 2 posted February 17, 2003 10:58            Edit/Delete Post 
The whole "duct tape and plastic" bit is bull. It's not going to help you, and may in fact do more harm than good. (Buildup of carbon monoxide in your house, for instance, could suffocate you.)

Here's an article on surviving chemical, biological, or nuclear attacks, written by a retired Armor Master Gunner. He does a good job of cutting through the hype and providing practical advice.

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2003 11:43      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mean to brag, but I will anyway.

I already have a safe room. Bought the home within a month of the "W" getting sworn in. Never can be too safe with a Bush in office, I figure -- particularly a draft-dodging, coke-snorting, drunk driving Bush (And really, do they make them any other way, nowadays?)

It's a basement room with poured 1-foot reinforced concrete walls, 2-inch reinforced concrete ceiling (main floor), sitting on 8-inch concrete-encased steel I-beams. Steel door. The house was built in 1929, just 3 months before the depression. (With a Republican House, Senate and President, it was a prudent thing to do.)

Because of allergies and the use of the room as a home entertainment center, the air pases through special HEPA filtration and and the ductwork is audio isolated. For additional entertainment, 6 cases of wine are stored in the room, it has a small bar fridge, freezer, wet bar and home brew beer tap. It is also wired for cable, digital TV, ethernet and phone service.

There are about 2-dozen homes in my area that were built that way back in the late 20s and early 30s, and since the moron who would be President stormed the ramparts and overtook the office, home values have taken off. Right now homes have appreciated in value between 50-100% since the coronation.

During weather or political emergencies admission to the room is open to geeks based on the following criteria:

1. Possesion of Booker's Bourbon,
2. Quality of beer in your personal possesion upon arrival.
3. Friendliness.
4. Ability to withstand my non-stop passion for Mambo Sinneudo.

I will admit Republicans, Southerners and fundamentalist Christians on a stand-by basis, and only after they are double-wrapped in dry cleaning bags, vacuum sealed and thoroughly duct-taped.

The room is a fine place to enjoy an afternoon -- whether or not snow, rain, hail, radiation, chemical or biological hazards are flying.

Of course, I have "The Matrix," "Jurassic Park" and "T-2" on DVD.

All movies that feature large numbers of women speaking with southern accents are banned. (Sorry Snupy, I had to draw a line.)

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2003 14:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about taking precautions, but then I realized that in the event of an attack a state of emergency will be called, and by NYS law I will have to report for duty, leaving my hidey-hole empty until the situation is resolved. Exactly why they need all 120 of us when we only have four ambulances to be manned by a maximum of four people/bus is beyond me. Maybe the rest of us will be working triage. Now wouldn't that be fun. This college doesn't have saferooms in the dorms anyways, and most of the students are too out of it to even know we're on the edge of war.

I also happen to know that duct tape isn't as good a sealant as people think it is, but shhh. Let's keep the secret and watch the rest of them panic.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forge
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1676

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2003 04:53      Profile for Forge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That guy in Orlando (was it Orlando? That's where WKMG is, I think) who taped up his whole house... does he still enter and exit it as usual? Or has he been holed up in there ever since Homeland Paranoia er, I mean Homeland Security released that "warning?" Has he suffocated yet? Does he realize the fact that if his house were truly safe from terrorist attack he wouldn't be able to live in it?

I honestly never cease to be amazed at the true depth of human stupidity. Although considering what the TV networks consider good programming, I don't know why anything surprises me anymore.

Posts: 16 | From: Boynton Beach, FL | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2003 06:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy was from Connecticut.
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2003 12:18      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as one comic put it

the easiest way to prevent biological terrorism is to take the plastic bag, wrap it around your head and seal it with the duct tape

that should take care of 2 problems at once, idiots and preventing terrorism

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2003 15:37      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's a little late, but the comic just came out.

-

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2003 16:15      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whilst reading pb's comic this one struck my mind

-

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture