homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Pong Deathmatch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pong Deathmatch
Mephit S
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2002 18:02            Edit/Delete Post 
You joke about a Pong Deathmatch, but if you can find a copy of Mortal Pongbat for Mac, you will know true deathmatch Pong! Nuclear weapons, drunk balls, mines, and lasers! Rock on!! Heh.
IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2002 05:15      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a game for the Atari 2600 which I think was called "Warlords". It was a 4-player game (you could connect 4 "paddle" controllers to the 2600, 2 on each of the 2 DB-9 joystick ports). Each player had a different corner of the screen, and had a "fortress" made out of bricks, and a pong-like paddle which could patrol the perimeter to act as guardian.

Obviously, the objective was to defend your own fortress, and meanwhile breach the other players' defenses and lob the ball into their fortress, which scored a point for you.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2002 05:24      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in which case, you should try 'Airburst' by Strange Flavour, who I erm know quite well

It also has a Deathmatch mode

http://www.strangeflavour.com/airburst.html

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2002 05:46      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
There was a game for the Atari 2600 which I think was called "Warlords". It was a 4-player game (you could connect 4 "paddle" controllers to the 2600, 2 on each of the 2 DB-9 joystick ports).

Yup, it was Warlords. It was also the demise of many sets of paddles at our house.

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2002 13:30      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own that game, and an Atari 7800 in which to play it Sadly, I only have single set of paddles, so only two can play at a time. Still looking for another set..

-Andrew (go '80s gaming!)

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2002 19:39      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have warlords on the PC, it is available in an atari collection...........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2002 21:29      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareID=1442

You can get the ROM for it here, this site also has a collection of emulators.

You can play 4 at a time, if you don't mind sharing the keyboard

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2002 10:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
+Andrew wrote:
I own that game, and an Atari 7800 in which to play it Sadly, I only have single set of paddles, so only two can play at a time. Still looking for another set..

For what it's worth, you can often find sets of paddles up for auction on eBay at times if you really want them.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fussili
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1134

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2002 04:57      Profile for fussili     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell yeah!!! I totally forgot about Mortal Pongbat!! I loved that game!
Posts: 14 | From: Hong kong | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture