homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Try doing the Vulcan Steve Jobs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Try doing the Vulcan Steve Jobs
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 29, 2002 18:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, you're a geek, so you know how to do the Vulcan Live Long and Prosper hand sign.

Now do it with both hands, then put your hands together like Steve Jobs does in our cartoon.

It's hard! As your hands touch, your baby finger will want to separate.

Maybe it's just a Canadian thing...

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2002 18:32      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can do it! Yeah!

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2002 22:07      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you mean Snaggy. The world is full of strange things.
Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2002 23:16      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh... Works for me... no separatage...

But I've been doing this subconciously for years.

=bd

Of course, some say I look like Steve (if he wasn't quite so... vegan...)

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2002 23:33      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh... just caught the JoyPoll answers...

"Where are we going?"
"Planet X!"
"When are we going?"
"Real Soon!"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

=bd

Wherever I go, there I am.

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 30, 2002 04:49      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks it's that you're telling your fingers to meet. Because of the relative sizes of the 4th & 5th fingers, if you don't get the approach angle just right, you'll have separation so your fingers can obey your command to meet.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 30, 2002 05:32      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem for me either, but it did remind me of something I was wondering last night after a few drinks. There was a poster featuring a countdown, illustrated by five pictures of a hand. Number 4 had just the little finger folded, and I find this impossible without either holding it down or straightening finger No.4 (the finger with no name...)

Only one from a group of 4 could manage it. Anyone else?

I've just remembered that the correct name is the ring finger, but what should we call the 4th toe? I suggest the odd toe.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2002 07:03      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- littlefish -
Number 4 had just the little finger folded, and I find this impossible without either holding it down or straightening finger No.4 (the finger with no name...)

Only one from a group of 4 could manage it. Anyone else?

On one of Caughlin's videos (Sesame Street's I'm Glad I'm Me), there's a piece where Kermit the Frog is describing all the things you can do with your hand, including counting. So a muppeteer sticks his bare hand up for illustration. He was able fold his little finger without his ring finger folding.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2002 07:30      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure a muppeteer is the most representative person. Surely they are selected on their ability to do magical things with their fingers. I imagine that conjurers would also be good. I was hoping for a straw poll to be honest....
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oldguy geek
Alpha Geek
Member # 577

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2002 08:11      Profile for Oldguy geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
I'm not sure a muppeteer is the most representative person. Surely they are selected on their ability to do magical things with their fingers. I imagine that conjurers would also be good. I was hoping for a straw poll to be honest....

I have found that a lot of these dexterity things can be learned and practiced. For example, I can easily do the Vulcan hand salute and press my hands together ala Jobs in the cartoon, and I can bend my little finger independent of my ring finger. If you want a challenge, try learning to control your toes independently. Try to move your little toe away from the others, etc. It's very hard at first, but once you learn how it gets easier with practice.

What? What do you mean, "get a life?"

Posts: 310 | From: Blacksburg, Va., USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2002 10:07      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But what does cartoon Steve's version mean? "I live long and prosper"?

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2002 10:27      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i am canadian and i can do it. But i have to concentrate really hard to keep my baby finger there.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
superflippy
Discontinued

Icon 14 posted January 30, 2002 10:30            Edit/Delete Post 
Seems easy. But I have very small, skinny hands. It might be more difficult for someone with thicker fingers.

Personally, I always found Mork's "Na-noo na-noo" handshake more of a challenge than the Vulcan salute, since it involves motion.

IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2002 11:25      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can do the Steve Jobs Vulcan no problem, and I can fold the little finger on my left hand down just fine, but my right has the familiar linkage to the ring finger.

Something really odd? The second toe on my right foot as a similar link to my big toe on that foot... it's amazing how entertaining I still find it to sit there and try to bend my big toe without bending my second toe...

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
BlueAntoid
Mini Geek
Member # 1030

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted January 30, 2002 14:05      Profile for BlueAntoid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Vulcan hand signage is unsurpassed.
Posts: 67 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 30, 2002 16:42      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's not hard if you practice
Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2002 08:01      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My solution was a bit of duck tape, and i can now do it without thinking about it.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
DaraSue
Mini Geek
Member # 874

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2002 22:25      Profile for DaraSue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angry Rooster:
I can do the Steve Jobs Vulcan no problem, and I can fold the little finger on my left hand down just fine, but my right has the familiar linkage to the ring finger.

Are you right or left-handed? I'm right-handed (although I can do most things competently with my left) and I'm the same way. It's weird, you'd think the dominant hand would be more flexible...

Posts: 86 | From: The LC, Utah | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2002 01:04      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right handed, rather interesting that both my right hand and my right foot have the inseparable flexibility features...

On the note of flexibility, I can put both feet behind my head. Not that it has to do with anything at all.

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture