homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Painted into a corner? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Painted into a corner?
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 18:47      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or is AY2K kinda bogged down? Is that why we wait months between new episodes?

I think that after the Teddy Bear o'Doom and the Prarie Dog of War have fought to a standstill, the ultimate weapon needs be unleashed upon the rodents: the shelved recorded "You Light Up My Life" duet between Willie Nelson and Pee-Wee Herman!

It might not scare the rodents, but it frightens the heck out of me! [Eek!]

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 22:23            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
Is it just me, or is AY2K kinda bogged down? Is that why we wait months between new episodes?

Well, of course, N&S have to channel their efforts into stuff that brings in revenue to GeekCulture.com Central Command (i.e. JoT, merchandising), else there would be no GeekCulture.com, no AY2K, no JoT, and you and I would probably be having this conversation on EMinds. [Big Grin]

And AY2K is, of necessity, a lot more complex, requiring things like actual plotline...JoT is easier to do, being mainly self-contained, single-panel one-off numbers ala The Far Side.

But there are all sorts of unfinished ends to explore in the AY2K universe...such as: What comes after the Tubes Era? Do we ever get back to anything approaching the "real world"'s technological base? Would Arthur C. Clarke deign to help in this matter?

Do The Geek and Dawn ever hook up on a permanent basis? What about Brandy and her HamMan? And do the other TTBs find their true loves? For that matter, do the TTTTs?

And something tells me we haven't really heard the last of the beautiful-but-evil SysAdmin...perhaps she comes back from the "dead", and, instead of battling it out with Evil Lord Martha Stewart, teams up with her in a diabolical Axis of GeekEvil...

We may yet find out the answers to these questions...it just may take a while longer than we'd want, that's all.

IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 25, 2002 23:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Essentially it boils down to this... Joy of Tech brings in more revenue for us, and since the slowdown in the ad market, and the growth of our traffic, we've had to focus more on the things that bring in revenue in order to keep on doing what we do.

We usually take an AY2K breather during the summer, this summer we took more of one than we would have liked to, but that's just the way things worked out.

There will be some changes to AY2K soon, stay tuned....

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2002 04:47      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's the data that was corrupted during the GC headquarters move.

http://www.geekculture.com/geekycomics/Aftery2k/y2Karchives/378.html
http://www.geekculture.com/geekycomics/Aftery2k/y2Karchives/382.html
http://www.geekculture.com/geekycomics/Aftery2k/y2Karchives/382poll.html

--------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 26, 2002 09:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EngrBohn, shhhh! Everyone's supposed to have forgotten about that!!!!!
[Cool]

Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 26, 2002 09:40      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I was expecting AY2K to end on December 31, 1999, with the giant story arc about the TTB's saving the universe, capped with an actual photo of Nitrozac's face, which all of us old-time fans had been breathlessly waiting for after six months of teasing! (Nitrozac's boots ... Nitrozac's running shoes ...)

AY2K was good after that, but this year, it has petered out. I wish it would have one big ridiculous finale that ties up all the loose ends (or explicitly leaves them hanging).

If it's a revenue question, I would contribute to a fund drive to finish up AY2K!

Whatever happens, I hope that the sysadmin does not come back. I thought she was a really neat character, but I prefer dead characters to stay dead. Otherwise death loses its meaning in fiction.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 26, 2002 09:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would contribute to a fund drive to finish up AY2K!
lol, it's nice to know there's people out there willing to pay us to stop.

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2002 10:13      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have to take the blame for AY2K slowing down. I loved doing AY2K, it was fun! But, honestly, after months of daily huge episodes, I got a tad burnt out! You know what, I take it more seriously than I should when the devoted AY2Kers such as yourselves are disappointed in it. One thing I can't really understand is this need for "closure", why does everyone want AY2K to finish up? Why can't it just go on forever? Before I started Joy of Tech, the suggestion that I end AY2K on Dec.31/99 infuriated me! If AY2K was over, then, I was over. We had a lot of people complaining about the complex plots and characters, it was clear, I could not make every one happy. Now that Joy of Tech is well established and doing well, Snaggy and I are able to have another look at After Y2K, and think about it's future. Now is an excellent time to do what you guys are doing and poke and prod us and make some suggestions.

Another thing I might add, is that GC headquarters moved its location 4 times (no exaggeration) from June 2001 to June 2002, and we're facing another move in a few weeks time, so, this of course, is extremely disruptive in all GC matters. Snaggy sings Nelly Furtdado's "Like a Bird" and it seems very true to our lives it seems.

Ok, that's it, love ya! AY2Kers Rock! [Smile]

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2002 11:40      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
One thing I can't really understand is this need for "closure", why does everyone want AY2K to finish up? Why can't it just go on forever?

I guess that's why you call it After Y2K-The Epic Web Comic. [Big Grin] That's why I think it's perfect for a comic book, it fits that format. As for all the moving-why don't you set up GC Headquarters in an RV with satellite internet? Aren't you guy's millionaires yet? [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2002 14:19            Edit/Delete Post 
Nitrozac, I hereby absolve you. (We have a topic for that on Electric Minds. [Smile] ) You and Snaggy have been scratching gravel as best you can, and being able to do as much as you've done has probably taken a few minor miracles and a lot of hard work. Anyone who complains should try a month in your boots and see how well they could do under the same circumstances. IMHO, of course. [Smile]

I'm in no hurry to see AY2K "finish up"; exploring all the "unfinished ends" I posted earlier would probably open up all sorts of new ends--and beginnings--to explore. Just like Douglas Adams...go off on tangents, then follow the tangents and go on from there.

I don't know if trying to reproduce AY2K in print would really convey the full flavor of it, though...at least not until we get that mediatronic paper from The Diamond Age. [Big Grin]

So just remember, it's like Johnny Lennon said..."We're all doin' what we can."

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2002 19:18      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you dont mind my nosieness... why so many moves?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 26, 2002 19:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-running from creditors and prairie dogs.
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 05:07      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
One thing I can't really understand is this need for "closure", why does everyone want AY2K to finish up? Why can't it just go on forever? [...] it was clear, I could not make every one happy.

Don't try to make everyone happy. Just try to make yourself happy, by doing the best job you can on your comics. Those who love your work will continue to love it.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 27, 2002 06:13      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Greycat.

I've got a fecund imagination, and when I run across something fun like AY2K, I tend to start churning out ideas of my own. But I'd hesitate to make suggestions to you because, even though some of my ideas may be wonderful, they wouldn't be AY2K.

I wouldn't say you're wrong to ask your fans for suggestions, if that's what it takes to stoke the fires of creation. I just wouldn't want you to be so concerned with satisfying everyone that you forget to have fun. That's what makes AY2K so special, after all: your work clearly conveys the fun you had doing it.

So take your time, get some slack, and have fun! [Wink] We'll be around for you!

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 27, 2002 09:48      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! We were thinking of making it into a comic book format, I think it would be great as a comic book, or graphic novel. Then there's our new cafe press stores that AY2K stuff would easily be really great for, for neat stuff for you, and support for us, so, you'll probably be seeing a new bunch of stuff for sell with your favorite characters adhered to them! Everytime I finish an episode, I say, "I HAVE TO do another one next week, FOR SURE!" Then suddenly it's 2 weeks later. You know how that is. I'm really amazed at how patient and understanding you guys are. [Smile]

As for the moving, we had to leave (personal reasons), and thought, if we're going to move, why not move out West? So, we did, and it's taken us a few moves to get settled in to somewhere we like, then we had to leave that place for the summer (we knew that was going to happen), and now we had great opportunity to see what oceanfront life is like, and now we're willingly moving back to the place we had to leave for the summer. Does that make sense? I don't think oceanfront is where I want to live for the winter, brrrrrr. So, this year we'll be reducing our moves to twice a year.

I love that RV satellite access idea, that would be SWEET!

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 27, 2002 12:08      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really a Willie Nelson fan, but I know he's a major Mac geek (Rick Neilson of Cheap Trick, too). He takes his Powerbook everywhere on the road with him, and his tourbus has satellite internet. That's how I came up with that.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 27, 2002 12:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say you're wrong to ask your fans for suggestions, if that's what it takes to stoke the fires of creation

hee hee we have lots ideas and several amazing storylines that unfortunately will never see light of pixel since we would starve to death doing them. But hopefully Superfans will help make it possible to keep making a few of them. [Smile] yay SuperFans!

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 15:24            Edit/Delete Post 
Just as I figured, Snagmeister; you guys have enough ideas on tap to spin it out to the 22nd century, and beyond. I'll have to look into this whole "clinical immortality" thing. [Smile]

In the meantime, sure, bring on more Cafe Press stores; as my wife makes me throw out old T-shirts, I'll have to get replacements, and what better replacements than some classy AY2K-wear? [Big Grin]

DesktopX
Geek-in-Training
Member # 650

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 15:30      Profile for DesktopX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, if AfterY2K became a TV show, then we could see all the loose ends wrapped up, and many more added.

Hmmm... AfterY2K the TV show... but at the rate each frame would be drawn, it would be very choppy [Big Grin]

--------------------
:: DX

Posts: 33 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 19:52      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself wondering if it would be possible to acquire a clip of Snaggy singing "I'm Like a Bird". That would amuse me to no end.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2002 19:09      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin!
But Iat last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

J.R.R.Tolkien
"The Return of the King"
book three of "The Lord of the Rings"

Life goes on even after we are gone, even AY2K. [Wink]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2002 17:35      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a suspicious shot from the webcam, we find out why Nitrozac hasn't been doing AY2K...

-

Unfourtunately, the shot of dollar bills filling the new GeekCulture pool got corrupted. [Wink]

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 24, 2002 19:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

I like the spider webs [Smile]

Too bad the stacks of gold bars and the bowls of diamonds didn't make it into the shot. [Frown]

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 24, 2002 23:50      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahaha! That would be sweet! [Big Grin]
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2002 19:21      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Too bad the stacks of gold bars and the bowls of diamonds didn't make it into the shot. [Frown]

They're all in the new addition... you hired the team of contractors to move them all, remember?

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture