homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Hey! There's no choice on the poll for Villain! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hey! There's no choice on the poll for Villain!
Blackheart
Discontinued

Icon 4 posted February 08, 2000 13:48            Edit/Delete Post 
We want equal rep! There's no choice on the after comic poll for villains!

If this serious situation does not change, we shall be forced to summon she who must not be named.

The Anti-Nitrozac.

Blackheart
Head Shaman for the Promulgimation
of the Anti-Nitrozac.(PAiN

IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 08, 2000 14:15      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackheart... your time and poll is coming... tomorrow!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Gates
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2000 17:59      Profile for Bill Gates     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dohhh!
Posts: 4 | From: Stuck in the washrooms | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
RonDesVous

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 288

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2000 18:42      Profile for RonDesVous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that Martha Stewart will be very upset if she doesn't win the villian poll.
kimagure
Highlie
Member # 135

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted February 09, 2000 01:41      Profile for kimagure   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anti-Nitrozac? ooh I'm so scared! Mommy!

BAH! Send the Anti-Nitrozac, the Anti-Snaggy and even the Anti-kimagure if you dare, Blackheart! We'll be more than a match for you!

(though i have my doubts about Snaggy...)

Posts: 588 | From: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2000 09:12      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kimagure wrote:
BAH! Send the Anti-Nitrozac, the Anti-Snaggy and even the Anti-kimagure if you dare, Blackheart! We'll be more than a match for you!

Nooo! Don't let it happen! I see two possible outcomes, neither acceptable.

1. Given the observed ratio of matter to anti-matter in the universe, the anti-trio turn out to be miniscule (have you ever seen those short films about the aliens who invaded Earth but miscalculated? None of the aliens was greater than a foot tall. The invasion was doomed when the first wave got run over by cars.). Should our heroic trio come into contact with even their miniscule counterparts, the resulting particle annihilation would completely obliterate the anti-trio, and probably release enough energy to send any nearby normal matter into a plasma state. Hardly the optimal state for our entertainment needs!

2. The anti-trio turn out to be full sized. This is even worse! If you saw the movie "Armageddon", you know that you can break up an asteroid the size of Texas by burying a nuclear weapon 800 feet down from the surface (Armageddon, 1998). Texas is 760 miles across (Rand McNally Atlas, 1992). 800 feet represents about 1/5000th of the width of Texas (calc.exe, 2000). Keep in mind that nuclear weapons convert only a fraction of their mass into energy (Nuclear Weapons FAQ), and that modern warheads are not all that large (dimensions, not yield). The yield on a complete and sudden conversion of the three of you into energy is beyond my ability to describe well. It would make the Tunguska object (Siberia, 1908) look like a sneeze in comparison, and it flattened trees within a 40-mile radius with an airburst. In a worst-case scenario, the three of you would meet your anti-clones timed such that the resulting seismic shockwaves would be reinforced by constructive interference. A real planet-cracker.

A real lose-lose situation.

-supaboy

with a tip o' the hat to Tao Zero for the inspiration for the references.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 09, 2000 11:12      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad, son, but you lose geek points for using Hollywood as an existence proof.

"Someday I plan to clone a whole dinosaur from fossilized DNA."
"You can't do that!"
"Sure you can; saw it in a movie once."

kimagure
Highlie
Member # 135

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted February 10, 2000 00:47      Profile for kimagure   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No sweat supaboy: I have plan B!

I'll design a giant robot, Nitrozac will provide Nitrozacium for the armor, all the other geeks will provide their knowledge in the assembly of said mecha and Snaggy will be the Guinea Pi... i mean, pilot.

He "volunteered"

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2000 08:24      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
Not bad, son, but you lose geek points for using Hollywood as an existence proof.

Eh, my bad. The Hollywood reference was supposed to be obviously tongue-in-cheek. I was typing faster than I was thinking. I got one part of the joke in (the 1/5000th part) but skipped this:

"Apparently, the treaty banning underground nuclear testing was proposed to keep anyone from finding out we were either:

1. shooting blanks down there or
  2. perilously close to destroying the planet."

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2000 08:42      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kimagure:
No sweat supaboy: I have plan B!

I'll design a giant robot, Nitrozac will provide Nitrozacium for the armor, all the other geeks will provide their knowledge in the assembly of said mecha and Snaggy will be the Guinea Pi... i mean, pilot.

He "volunteered"

Hmmm... Giant mecha, single pilot, needs to be invincible... I've got it! Tranzor-Z! It says he's "so powerful he cannot be destroyed!" right in his theme song! We're saved!

Blackheart
Discontinued

Icon 8 posted February 10, 2000 10:00            Edit/Delete Post 
Muhha haaa

Obviously you reckon little of the powers of darkness. By inserting herself into the comic universe, Nitrozac has convieniently brought the anti-Nitrozac along as well. She is there already, and merely slumbers, waiting the call to awaken!

Humans are just creatures of light and darkness. When we call upon her the Anti-Nitrozac shall awaken, and lead the cartoon villians to victory!

Blackheart
Psychometric of the Anti-Nitrozac (PAiN)

IP: Logged
kimagure
Highlie
Member # 135

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted February 11, 2000 03:00      Profile for kimagure   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Originally posted by supaboy: Hmmm... Giant mecha, single pilot, needs to be invincible... I've got it! Tranzor-Z! It says he's "so powerful he cannot be destroyed!

Ah! So you too know about Go Nagai's Classic, Mazinger Z!

I grew up watching it on Puerto Rican TV back in the early 80's, and best of all it was a direct to Spanish dub (made in Mexico), leaving everything else in the original Japanese intact: character names, opening & ending songs, BG music and, of course, the violent battles.

Here's the original Japanese theme song (in Real Audio format).

As for the "cannot be destroyed" thing, well, take a look at the shocking truth: This image from the original manga (comic) where a battered Mazinger Z is carried by its successor Great Mazinger.

Banzai!

kimagure

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2000 09:13      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so maybe I was wrong about the "cannot be destroyed" part. But that's what the music said! (remember, I used "Armageddon" as a reference earlier )

I remember the first time I saw Tranzor Z fly by grabbing Aphrodite A's, uh, well...

To tell the truth, I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen and I could not believe that it got shown on American TV!

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2000 11:42      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, looks a bit more like Voltron to me....
Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
kimagure
Highlie
Member # 135

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted February 12, 2000 01:17      Profile for kimagure   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tafkact posted: hmmm, looks a bit more like Voltron to me....

Mazinger Z was the Grandaddy of Voltron, Gundam and all the giant robot warriors to follow. (That would make Gigantor their Great-Grandaddy I guess )

supaboy posted: I remember the first time I saw Tranzor Z fly by grabbing Aphrodite A's, uh, well...

Yeah! I remember that episode! Aphrodite A, (a female shaped robot)'s main weapons were her missile... uh, well... <^^;

What would you expect from Go Nagai who also created Cutey Honey?

AgentOBorg
Geek Apprentice
Member # 290

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted February 12, 2000 19:08      Profile for AgentOBorg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart:
Blackheart
Psychometric of the Anti-Nitrozac (PAiN)

Perhaps if we could measure the Psychometric (of the Anti-Nitrozac), and find its EEG correlate, we could localize the source the Anti-Nitrozac wave form. Then the generator of Anti-Nitrozac rythems could be sugically removed from the brain! (Not that I support psychosurgery , but this is an extreme case! )

Later research could be on finding the genetic basis of this deffect, for preventative purposes

------------------
GAT d-(pu) s+:- a->? C++ UL(S)++ P L++ E [email protected] N+ o? k- w-(+) O? M- V-
[email protected](>+++) PE(---) Y? PGP- t(+) 5 [email protected] [email protected]>(+++) !tv [email protected] !DI D+(---) G+
e++>[email protected]$ h(*) r++>+++ y>+++(@)

Posts: 47 | From: The 666th Layer of the Abyss | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
kimagure
Highlie
Member # 135

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted February 12, 2000 20:59      Profile for kimagure   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then there's always Plan C:
switching into my alter ego!

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2000 12:08      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultra... Ultra... Ultra-Man!

Boy, I haven't watched that in years. I remember it used to get broadcast by the independent UHF station, and right before of after it was Speed Racer.

The only thing I can remember clearly about the show, besides him flying around (somewhat stiff-looking) was the hero running outside to change into Ultra Man, getting a puzzled look when he didn't transform, and then realizing he was holding a spoon up, not the transformer.

Geez, I haven't watched Ultra Man in like, 25 years! Ahh, the memories of youth...

just another perl hacker
Geek Larva
Member # 153

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted February 13, 2000 17:03      Profile for just another perl hacker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a wee lad, I loved Ultraman. Looking back, I question my fscked up taste, but I guess when you're that young, shit like Ultraman and Power Rangers appeals to you.

Anyway, I was in Japan in the summer of 1984, and I will regret my foolishness forever... Macross: DYRL was playing in the theatres, but I was blinded by my irrational love of Ultraman, and I watched the Ultraman movie instead.

I could have watched Macross: DYRL on the big-fscking-screen!

Many years later, when I realized what I missed out on, ......... What an idiot I was.

Posts: 25 | From: San Rafael, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted February 13, 2000 17:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Anti-Nitrozac would, be definition, be the opposite of Nitrozac. Before we call out the Japanese robots, let's examine that for a second...

Since Nitrozac has a great sense of humor,
The Anti-Nitrozac must be as funny as stale bread.

Since Nitrozac is entertaining,
The Anti-Nitrozac must be boring.

Since Nitrozac is imaginitive and hard to predict,
The Anti-Nitrozac must be unimaginative and easy to predict.

Since Nitrozac can be cruel,
The Anti-Nitrozac must not be able to be cruel.

Since Nitrozac has lots of friends and admirers,
The Anti-Nitrozac must not have a following to lead.

Since Nitrozac encourages us to speak freely,
The Anti-Nitrozac must say 'shush' a lot.

Since Nitrozac wears great boot,
The Anti-Nitrozac must wear sensible shoes.

So, basically we're being menaced by the threat of a single, boring, predictable person in sensible shoes who won't get our jokes and will ask us to be quiet, yet won't be cruel enough to punish us if we don't.

Alrighty then... I'll act scared for a bit if you'll pay me $5.00

Now, as far as the robots go... I hate to admit it, but I actually prefer Ultraman to the other things named, but my tastes are questionable and more than a bit cheesy to begin with.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
kimagure
Highlie
Member # 135

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted February 13, 2000 22:42      Profile for kimagure   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as a last resort we can call the Sailor Scouts

HitMan200
Geek Apprentice
Member # 137

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted February 14, 2000 00:14      Profile for HitMan200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes

Why are they so small/young ?

What is going on Kig ?

Posts: 45 | From: Bracebridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
kimagure
Highlie
Member # 135

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted February 14, 2000 01:17      Profile for kimagure   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the anime/manga style know as "Super-Deformed".
Just Joe
Geek-in-Training
Member # 239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2000 05:28      Profile for Just Joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't anybody remember "Electro Woman & Dina Girl"? Some time in the 70's I think. I remember having a crush on "Dina Girl" But can't for the life of me remember what she looked like nor who played the parts. No pictures available, of course.
Posts: 36 | From: Alt. Universe | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2000 09:23      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by just another perl hacker:
When I was a wee lad, I loved Ultraman. Looking back, I question my fscked up taste, but I guess when you're that young, shit like Ultraman and Power Rangers appeals to you.

I'm 28, and Power Rangers still appeals to me. Well, Kimberly did, anyway.

I actually used my knowledge of PR trivia on the job. I was a karate instructor, and all my little students were deeply into Power Rangers, so I'd randomly challenge them with questions about the show to help make the classes fun. Jurrassic Park was also wildly popular, so I had to stay brushed up on my dinosaurs, too!

quote:
Originally posted by just another perl hacker:

I could have watched Macross: DYRL on the big-fscking-screen!

My roommate is itching to buy a 16:9 big-screen television. He's already got a nice stereo. Ostensibly, I'm supposed to be the voice of reason, reminding him that we don't watch enough TV to warrant the big screen. But all I seem to be doing is pointing out various favorite movies on widescreen DVDs.

Me? I'm waiting for the Playstation 2 so I can pick up a DVD player with my game console. But what I'm most happy about is that with DVDs, you no longer have to choose between subbed or dubbed anime.

And I know he's gonna buy the TV eventually! Home Theater here we come!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture