homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » AY2K CD continued.... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AY2K CD continued....
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 29, 2000 22:10      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Macgourou suggested an AY2K CD. This is something that is in the beginning stages.Here are the suggestions that I'm looking at to do;

*archives of one year of AY2K, as is on the web. browser viewable. I think it's interesting to see the progress through the cartoons, like when the QuickPolls started, etc.

* A couple AY2K themed simple games.

* Desktop pictures, icons, and maybe some sounds (La Cutest of Go-Go)

*Screensaver.

What do you think, any suggestions? What price would you think is fair?

Macgourou
Mini Geek
Member # 184

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted January 29, 2000 23:05      Profile for Macgourou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
19.95$ US as long it is shrink-wrapped. It will become a collector's item someday. And sell for a fortune on EBay in ten years as long it is still shrink-wrapped.

A recommended investement by Weird and Poor's.

Thank you for all the laughs and smiles!

(specially when you squished uncle Bill!)

Posts: 68 | From: Montreal,Quebec,Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Silver Dragon
Newbie Larva
Member # 256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2000 23:09      Profile for Silver Dragon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can we play 'squish Bill'?

Maybe a little gamewith a running Bill and we get to move Nitro's boot...

------------------
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Posts: 6 | From: Sydney, Oz | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Macgourou
Mini Geek
Member # 184

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2000 23:20      Profile for Macgourou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could add 10$ if we can get at the "Squish him for good" level with blood and sounds!
And a penny if we could get assimilated "sans" this frigg'in Tie!

Posts: 68 | From: Montreal,Quebec,Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
kimagure
Highlie
Member # 135

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted January 29, 2000 23:41      Profile for kimagure   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely the 1-year AY2K archive.
Desktop pictures, icons & sounds too (multi-platform of course) ~_^

Sketches, outtakes, "bloopers".

What about an office video like those on MacAddict CD's?

Hey, maybe you can include an AfterY2K Theme Song! Snaggy could write it! ^_^

"What price would you think is fair?"
in US $ or Canadian loonies? ;P
but seriously, between US$20~$30 seems ok, depending on the amount of stuff you put in it.

It would be interesting to ask the guys at MacAddict how much does the CD costs 'em monthly...

Posts: 588 | From: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Renegade
Maximum Newbie
Member # 237

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2000 00:00      Profile for Renegade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Macgourou. The price should be $19.95. But ONLY if it has Nitrozac's boots on the CDs face.
Posts: 18 | From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 14 posted January 30, 2000 01:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a change, I'll hop on the bandwagon and say $20 or so would be a pretty good price. If you look in the stores for a package of screen savers, icons and sounds ... oh, let's just go ahead and say desktop themes, they're generally priced around $20 for anything decent.

As for game suggestions, stomping on Bill Gates would be rather fun maybe call it whack-a-Bill after the whack-a-mole style redemption games. Some sort of boxing match game between Simon and the blow up doll could be done simply in the style of the punch-the-monkey banner ad that I'm sure we've all seen.

Finally, considering that you've been working too hard and considering taking weekends off as mentioned in the "Sleep?" thread, you might consider seeing if any of your loyal fans would be willing to help convert icons and other platform specific files into the appropriate formats for their platform of choice. I'd be willing to help out for free and I'm sure others would too. Then again, I do a glorified version technical support for a living... I'm used to being used as slave labor

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2000 02:05      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Finally, considering that you've been working too hard and considering taking weekends off as mentioned in the "Sleep?" thread, you might consider seeing if any of your loyal fans would be willing to help convert icons and other platform specific files into the appropriate formats for their platform of choice. I'd be willing to help out for free and I'm sure others would too.

Sounds good to me. I'd be glad to help out any way I can. I need something to do with my spare time while waiting for the daily comic to load which (btw, take the weekends off to refresh yourself) takes forever on my dialup connection. I'm still running Win98SE(*) but hope to change that real soon.

* yeah, yeah yeah, I know I know I know... I have WinLinux2000, but no compatable modem yet...

------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just Joe
Geek-in-Training
Member # 239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2000 05:53      Profile for Just Joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Dragon:
Can we play 'squish Bill'?

Maybe a little gamewith a running Bill and we get to move Nitro's boot...

Great idea - I love it.

Posts: 36 | From: Alt. Universe | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 30, 2000 10:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Finally, considering that you've been working too hard and considering taking weekends off as mentioned in the "Sleep?" thread, you might consider seeing if any of your loyal fans would be willing to help convert icons and other platform specific files into the appropriate formats for their platform of choice. I'd be willing to help out for free and I'm sure others would too. Then again, I do a glorified version technical support for a living... I'm used to being used as slave labor

This sounds like a very cool idea, and Nitrozac and I will probably be doing this.

We'd include a "Fan Folder" on the CD, which would contain stuff created by and sent in by fans. Desktop pictures, icons, etc, etc.

Just so long as copyright law is observed, disclaimers signed, first born child transferred over etc. ;-)

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 3 posted January 31, 2000 10:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had another idea for a little game type thing for the CD that shouldn't be too hard to create since it would just move a few images around on the screen in response to your mouse. It might be a bit too silly, but I think it needs to be suggested....

An abacus program!

Then we can throw away our calculator programs and prepare ourselves for assimilation into the GoGo cube. Maybe with an AWE logo along the side.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 31, 2000 11:50      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, an abacus game would be great! I'd use it! If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to include it.

ScUmM_BoY
Maximum Newbie
Member # 265

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2000 08:19      Profile for ScUmM_BoY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should do an After Y2K Quake (Quake II, Quake III) Total Conversion! Imagine re-living the Kurt's Geeks VS. Lord Martha Stewart battle, Or Bill Gates Blow-up-doll VS. Simon! This could be epic!! Team based play, with fully modeled AY2K characters (the Geek, Dude, the TTB's, and maybe some of the 'real-live' geeks... ESR, the Woz...) Of course this would take valuable resources away from the actual production of the comic... darn. And it was such a good idea...
Posts: 10 | From: Ancaster, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aero-guy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 250

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted February 01, 2000 12:43      Profile for Aero-guy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
Oh, an abacus game would be great! I'd use it! If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to include it.

Ask and you shall receive! Please direct your browser of choice (Java-enabled) to:
http://jsilks.home.mindspring.com/abacusgames/

Works perfectly! Yet another way to waste time! Hey Nitrozac, perhaps you can ask him permission to include some of this good stuff on the CD.

Posts: 14 | From: Lompoc, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Corrinne Yu
Mini Geek
Member # 161

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted February 01, 2000 13:24      Profile for Corrinne Yu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
// Quake source is GPL
"You should do an After Y2K Quake (Quake II,"
Wouldn't it be perfectly legal to include distribution of GPL'ed Quake source on the CD? It would be marginally on-topic.

// Linux
Also legal (and Y2K-related) to include Open-Sourced-Linux too.

// CD-geek-content?
The CD can be filled with GPL source code, utilities, "Perl"'s of wisdom, all open source.
So in addition to being funny, it would also be useful to geeks. (If it can all fit on the CD.)

// Mega-CD
What source code, projects, utilities would be in your dream "Mega-CD"?
I have burned several Mega-CD's myself where I cram the most useful things all in one.
If you already have several Mega-CD's, what is on them?
If you haven't made one, what would be in your dream Mega-CD?

// Y2K-Mega CD?
Would it veer too much off-topic for the Y2K CD to also contain tons of code, tons of utilities, all open source?

Posts: 53 | From: Garland, TX, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Corrinne Yu
Mini Geek
Member # 161

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2000 13:30      Profile for Corrinne Yu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Can we play 'squish Bill'?"

1. id-Microsoft had a special version of Doom in which Bill Gates's likeness was in it (to promote DirectX).

2. Duke Nukem has a mighty foot attack which can be easily customized to become a Nitrozac Boot.

Am not sure how these 2 twain shall meet though ...

Posts: 53 | From: Garland, TX, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dvb
Geek-in-Training
Member # 143

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2000 14:44      Profile for dvb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you please make the abacus non Java. Release source? Netscape on Linux crashes reliably each time it meets Java and depending on the phase of the moon, Jscript.

------------------
Sermon on /mnt: The geek shall inherit the earth

Posts: 39 | From: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2000 14:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corrinne, all this sounds amazing!

After Y2K Quake would be great, hopefully some brave souls will help us put that together.

The CD can be filled with GPL source code, utilities, "Perl"'s of wisdom, all open source.So in addition to being funny, it would also be useful to geeks."
Love it, let's do it.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 01, 2000 15:11      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corrinne,
I love your ideas, that would make the CD jam-packed with usefullness!

*email forthcoming*

RonDesVous

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 288

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2000 18:49      Profile for RonDesVous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How bout some [email protected] or [email protected] stuff that's never been released on the wesite?
Aero-guy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2000 21:14      Profile for Aero-guy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey dvb!
Go to: http://www.ee.ryerson.ca:8080/~elf/abacus/source-code.html
to download the source code. Then compile and use the Linux applet runner instead of Netscape. Hopefully that will solve your problems. I haven't seen a C-code version yet, but I've a feeling that someone's considering doing that.

Posts: 14 | From: Lompoc, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
AgentOBorg
Geek Apprentice
Member # 290

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted February 03, 2000 17:01      Profile for AgentOBorg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be really cool would be simply to have some of Nitrozac's interviews included. (Commentary for god.c herself )

The Quake conversion is a cool idea, but not if it becomes a distraction -- perhaps a skillful Quake fan could work on it independently, and submit it for Nitro's approval?

Tha main thing would be having all thecartoon on one CD would rule.

Posts: 47 | From: The 666th Layer of the Abyss | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
serialband
Maximum Newbie
Member # 188

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted February 04, 2000 16:45      Profile for serialband     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't all that stuff require more than one cd. Sure the web pages would be small, but Quake & linux would require some more space if you include all the graphics and Xwindows? The Squash Bill gates game is a great idea. I did download a shareware game of that had you hit bill gates. I was simple but satisfying.
unstable_boy
Geek Larva
Member # 176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2000 07:50      Profile for unstable_boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just remeber if you do themes to include LINUX versions of it (I use KDE what does everyone else use)
Posts: 28 | From: SBB NJ USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Greg Wooledge
Alpha Geek
Member # 165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2000 10:31      Profile for Greg Wooledge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to whack Bill Gates, I humbly suggest xbill (install the xbill package in your favorite Linux distribution or try xbill for Wingdows).
Posts: 256 | From: Lorain, OH, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture