homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » HTML Forms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HTML Forms
Burnum
Discontinued

Icon 5 posted June 22, 2001 11:15            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know if only a geek would be able to answer, but I knew a geek could...

I'm trying to figure out how some forms on a website work. It's a normal method="POST" form, but the action is what is confusing me. Instead of directing you to a cgi (like on the Joy of Tech) it directs you to a static html file (action="/vevo/"). So I'm wondering, how the website is loging the posts. Does anyone have any ideas on what is being done here? Thanks.

--
Stephen "I'll Register Sometime" Swift ' The Burnum Man
[email protected]

IP: Logged
kormoc
Geek
Member # 706

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2001 12:11      Profile for kormoc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its redirecting it to url/vevo/
still looking for the file tho...

Posts: 100 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2001 12:25      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that there's a cgi which gets called at /vevo/ by default which tallies the votes. The same sort of thing like you don't always have to ask for index.html, it's what gets delivered if you don't ask for anything else specifically.

I don't think it's a static HTML file, either: you can vote and watch the counters increment. Trying to look at the page source on the vote page told me that it was the result of a POST and that the info had expired from the cache. That's not static HTML!

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2001 18:24      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supaboy's right. The file could be (and probably is) a script, building the results, or redirecting to another page that shows the result. Did that with ASP, a lot of languages can do it too. As long as there is no <body> tag (or nothing between them) for a redirect, the called page will be unseen to the user.
Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture