homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » yet another question for no reason.... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: yet another question for no reason....
freebsd_dude
Geek Larva
Member # 981

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted December 05, 2001 18:03      Profile for freebsd_dude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, there's no apparent reason for me to be asking this question, other than i'm tired and sick of doing finals, and looking for some interesting responses.

girls: in your opinion, whats the sexiest part of a guy's body? as in what physical trait makes the most difference in whether you think someone is 'good' or 'bad' looking? and as far as that trait goes, what makes it sexy? as in if you think it's eyes, then what color of eyes?

this has to be physical. otherwise i know you'd say "whether or not he can code perl!"

Posts: 25 | From: WV,USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2001 19:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like nice broad shoulders. Broad shoulders = broad chest = something really nice to curl up and sleep on.
Nice thick hair (any length as long as you keep it clean) is good. Facial hair turns me off. Don't ask me to justify this. I can't.

Obviously, I don't want to study for finals either...
------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
freebsd_dude
Geek Larva
Member # 981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2001 20:12      Profile for freebsd_dude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whats the worst final you've ever studied for? i'd have to say mine would either be orgizational behavior, or accounting. both suck..take your pic

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2001 22:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good lord, I've had some fun ones...
Probably second semester physics. The math I could deal with. It was the concepts behind the math that had me lost. Really bad teaching. I almost threw down my pencil and walked out of the exam, it was so miserable. Miraculously, enough people did worse than me that I ended up with a B+ in the class. I feel sorry for those people.
Oh yeah, and first semester frosh chem was a doozer too. My first all-nighter. Once again, the math was okay and the teaching hopeless. Luckily, I had a batch of old exams, and the prof recycled questions, so all I had to do was memorize how to solve the problems (algorithms, not chemistry, that's what I was learning) and I was more or less golden. A little less than more. I got a B+ in that class too. Sad part was, out of more than a hundred students only five or six did better than that...
Hey, I'm noticing a pattern here!

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2001 00:09      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I realize we're off topic here, but worst final ever, was a Philosophy class I took. Philosophy of Religion, I was so exited for the class, thinking it would be about why we have (or need, crave) religion, but in fact, the class was about whether or not God exists. It was a pain. Of course, (as anyone who has studied this knows) there is no argument either for or against that proves, or disproves God's existence. And we spent the whole semester studying all these arguments, and then realizing that they don't work. What a pain. Some were interesting, but the final was 3 hours long, and it was a discussion final, and I had spent the previous eve studying for a biology final the same day, and to make a long story short, I fell asleep in the middle of this Philosophy discussion. Oh, it was hell. Needless to say, I didn't do very well in the class, and shortly there-after decided I did not want to take any more Philosophy classes, ever.

But from a geek guy perspective, I like the eyes a lot. I guess I don't find them extremely sexy or anything, but I do believe its true that you can learn a lot about a person from their eyes. And though I like many eyes, I do have to say I'm partial to green eyes. There's just something about them...

Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2001 03:23      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My worst final - Higher Maths for the IB.

It was my worst subject (and maths still is), I was told to take it by my student advisor (baaaad mistake) and I did not understand anything.
I then came down with the flu and ended up going into the exam with a fever of over 39C. Sat down, put my name at the top of the paper, read the exam and as soon as possible I handed it in and walked out.

The worst thing was that my mother was one of the invidulators and she could see me just sitting there, looking like death warmed over, waiting for the torment to end.

[Edit - Whoa post Number 1111 ]

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ActionFigure 1.0
Mini Geek
Member # 707

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2001 10:55      Profile for ActionFigure 1.0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what's an invidulator? like a proctor, or something?
Posts: 94 | From: Rockford, IL--USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2001 15:20      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, going back to topic.

It's all in the face. In particular the eyes and the smile. The eye colour doesn't matter because what I'm looking for is kindness and intelligence. A guy can have "perfect" features, but if I see arrogance or stupidity in his eyes/smile, then I'm disgusted as opposed to attracted.

------------------
the world will have to end someday; hopefully not while i'm around.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
rockwolf
Geek Apprentice
Member # 987

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted December 06, 2001 18:06      Profile for rockwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by annie:

A guy can have "perfect" features, but if I see arrogance or stupidity in his eyes/smile, then I'm disgusted as opposed to attracted.

How's childlike innocence?

Posts: 43 | From: Minnesota USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 06, 2001 20:21      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now let me ask something here... Why are so many women are turned off by facial hair? What's so wrong with it? And why do they loose whatever interest they might have had once you shave it?

------------------
LostInColorado

At first, follow the rules of the game.
If you don't succeed, break the rules.
If you still don't succeed, change them.
If you still don't succeed, just change the game.

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
miliani
Geek Apprentice
Member # 999

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2001 20:34      Profile for miliani   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....

I like clean-cut guys... but I can take occasional "scruffiness"-- where the facial hair is just slightly stubbl-y and a tad scratchy... but I tend to not like facial hair simply because it makes me think of my German Shepherd, which isn't entirely attractive to me at all...

Back to the original question, though-- I'm more into unique facial features... usually nice, chiseled cheekbones. Interesting eyes are always a plus (although I do have a weakness for grey eyes... they're a bit dreamy to me because they make me think of cloudy northern california seasides during the winter)... a nice smile is always good... and a semi-athletic body-- not too big, but impressive enough to assure me that he won't beat me in an arm wrestling match. ;-) Oh... and hair. Hair I can ruffle and mess up. That is ALWAYS a plus.

But that's "sexy..." Stefano Dionisi and Mark Dacascos are sexy/hot... but that's not entirely what I look for in a guy.... =P

Oh... if it makes you feel better, I've been working 16 hour days with one 10 minute lunch break somewhere in the middle of it.. so I'm hurtin' with ya. =(

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga, usa | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
freebsd_dude
Geek Larva
Member # 981

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted December 06, 2001 22:07      Profile for freebsd_dude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
man...where are of these girls at? i've got the most "ruffable" hair you've ever saw.

i pretty much fit the rest of miliani's 'list' too. except for grey eyes. i have dark brown eyes. you'd like 'em.

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2001 03:18      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ActionFigure 1.0:
what's an invidulator? like a proctor, or something?

Oops the spelling should be 'Invigilator', that is the person/people who keep an eye on us during exams.

Is that what a proctor is? (never heard the word).

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2001 07:51      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ActionFigure 1.0:
[b]what's an invidulator? like a proctor, or something?

Oops the spelling should be 'Invigilator', that is the person/people who keep an eye on us during exams.

Is that what a proctor is? (never heard the word).[/B][/QUOTE]

It's also the person keeping an eye on us during exams.

------------------
LostInColorado

At first, follow the rules of the game.
If you don't succeed, break the rules.
If you still don't succeed, change them.
If you still don't succeed, just change the game.

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ActionFigure 1.0
Mini Geek
Member # 707

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2001 10:15      Profile for ActionFigure 1.0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I never heard that term before. Ironic you never heard proctor. Now we are better people for it. lol

BTW, what impressive names for people who sit on their butt and essentially do nothing.

"Fear me! am the Invigualtor. Give me the secret plans before I Invigulate you! And don't make me sick my procotor on you, or you'll know you're in trouble."

crap, I'm sorry people, With a pair of binoculars, I can't even see the topic from here. I am off on a tangent big time.

Geekatrix
Geek
Member # 826

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2001 11:38      Profile for Geekatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ActionFigure 1.0:
what impressive names for people who sit on their butt and essentially do nothing.

I take it you've never protored an exam before. As a TA, I protored exams for a variety of undergraduate math classes. For advanced classes it's largely a matter of sitting around for two hours while half a dozen students earnestly scribble away on their tests. For first semester calculus, on the other hand, you have to deal with 300+ little weasels who only took the class because it was required and are determined to learn as little as possible without failing. This means that come test time, their best hope of passing is by cheating, which it is your job as proctor to prevent.

If you've ever wondered why proctors insist that you remove your baseball cap, use only the writing utensils and scrap paper provided (and turn them all in at the end of the test), sit at least three seats away from your nearest neighbor with your backpack stowed completely under your seat, don't use a calculator, and follow a dozen other weird little rules, it's because each time someone figures out a new way to cheat, the proctors have to implement a new countermeasure to prevent it from happening again. I swear, if those people applied half as much energy to learning the @#$% material as they do toward cheating, they'd pass with flying colors.

Sorry 'bout the rant. Can you tell I don't miss proctoring a bit?

Posts: 154 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2001 13:59      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rockwolf:
How's childlike innocence?

Fine, as long as it's not actually immaturity and you're not looking for a mother as opposed to a girlfriend.

And I actually like facial hair (as long as it's well kept). don't know why.

------------------
the world will have to end someday; hopefully not while i'm around.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2001 13:30      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A guy's eyes, definetly
I one was sitting in the hallway of this university and this guy with like the GREatest EYES on EARTH!!!! WOWO!

Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ActionFigure 1.0
Mini Geek
Member # 707

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2001 14:01      Profile for ActionFigure 1.0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess in a bigger university, and in certain types of classes, proctoring may be a bit rough.

I went to an itty bitsy private college called Rockford College, and got an BA in English. It’s well nigh impossible—not to mention pointless—to cheat on an English Exam. They mostly consisted of Essays. Most of the Time, there were no Proctors. In fact, the only time I can remember proctors, were when I had two blind teachers. And I think they did it as a matter of course, as opposed to dire necessity. Again…hard to cheat on a philosophy test while writing an essay in your blue book. And If you did, man, would it be obvious. Also, pretty similar with Spanish, the other class I had a blind instructor in.

And, I was Student Court Chair for a year Nada we had two academic cases of Honor code violations, and they were over papers not tests.

I can imagine in a math class, you were confronted with a loooooot of potential cheaters. A total different ball game.

EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2001 05:55      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding facial hair --

I suspect it's the result of two or three factors.
Cleanliness -- if it's unkempt, I imagine it's not appealing; if it's catching crumbs, likewise. And after about a day's growth (YMMV) but before it's truly a beard, it may just look like poor grooming. Certainly, being clean-shaven (beyond a certain age) is a sign of good grooming habits (not saying having a beard is the opposite, just that being clean-shaven is an obvious statement that you make a habit of grooming every morning).
Odor -- Never having had a beard, I'm guessing on this one, and it also will vary according to your glands -- my hair tends to build up oil if I should go without shampooing more than a day; if the same would happen to a beard, I expect the smell could be unpleasant if I fail to keep it clean.
Scratchiness -- this from my wife: whiskers itch; she does not like to kiss more than an in-passing quick "love-you" kiss if I haven't shaved.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2001 09:40      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EngrBohn:
Regarding facial hair --
[deletia] -- this from my wife: whiskers itch; she does not like to kiss more than an in-passing quick "love-you" kiss if I haven't shaved.

That is mostly a problem at the sandpaper stage. After a weeks growth it is not nearly as straight and stiff. I actually wear a beard to this day because several years ago a girlfriend asked me to. That way lazy Sunday afternoons in bed would not be marred by my 30 to 60 hour old stubble.

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2001 13:46      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another trick is to use conditioner on your beard, to help keep it soft.  (If there was only a gadget you could buy which would taper the squared ends of the hairs and make them soft and flexible, I'd buy it in a minute!)
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2001 19:57      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Xanthine I like broad shoulders and broad chest..
but I don't mind facial hair, and I really have a thing for guys with long hair. But overall I've found that people become more attractive if you like them as a person. People who you don't think are attractive at first get to be adorable if you find them interesting and fun, and likewise, people who you think are HOT become extremely unattractive when you find out they're complete a*@holes. This is not to say that initial physical and emotional attractiveness are mutually exclusive, but overall the emotional attractiveness is far more important.
As for finals.. personally I'm enjoying my first year free of them. The only thing i miss about school is having people's rooms to wander into when I'm bored....

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 17, 2001 12:54      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got shoulders broad enough to perch a (small) redhead on each of them.  Does that count?
Geekatrix
Geek
Member # 826

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2001 14:17      Profile for Geekatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's one single feature I find irresistable, but the combination of dramatic hair (black, blue, purple, marachino red...), pale skin, and deep blue or green eyes turns my head every time.

And yes, I prefer clean-shaven men. And minimal body hair. The more smooth, soft skin the better!

Posts: 154 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture