homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » CoffeeCam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CoffeeCam
Burnum
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2001 00:04            Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the interview with one people over at the lab about the CoffeeCam on CBC. He suggested that they might set up something new, to replace the CoffeeCam.

When they set up the Cam, it was either the first internet Cam or one of the few out there. I think they should take another bold step and use new technology. I'm just not sure what. This sounds like a job for an Uber-Geek.

Maybe an actuall working iBorg*?

*User controled robot/machine conntected to computer and cam.

IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 08, 2001 04:27      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to disappoint, but the Web-to-real-hardware interface plus cam thing has been done at least once before.

I think they should get a new net-interfaced coffee machine (using latest CoIP, Caffeine Over IP, technology?) so that people in the building can put the coffee on from their desks... then hold a hacker (oops, cracker) challenge. Anyone who can beat the security and brew themselves an unauthorised pot of coffee wins... a free pot of coffee! Try holding those Geeks back!

PS LOL at the comic btw!

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Anonyman
Mini Geek
Member # 604

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2001 05:58      Profile for Anonyman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Info on iBorg for those who do not know, was a project started at MacAddict Magazine by Ian Sammis. It was to be a user-controlled wireless office cam using: An iBook with Airport card, a USB webcam and drive around on a plank with wheels (off-road skateboard wheels, to be exact), controlled by an ADB switchbox, connected to the iBook by a Griffith iMate USB-ADB Adapter.

Suffice to say, it never really actually worked, and suffered many setbacks, such as the iBook being stolen, parts breaking down, or not working at all.

Which is to bad, because it would has been pretty cool to control the iBorg and drive it around the MacAddict offices from a web browser.

------------------
Take the power back! Anonymity now!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

P.S. -- I'm a Mini-Geek! Cool!

Posts: 51 | From: Riverview, NB, Canada! | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2001 07:27      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found this on the Net™..

"Though you can still view the coffee pot online, I've heard anecdotal reports that the real caffeine source of today's Trojan Room researchers is one of those fancy hot beverage machines that can make mocha, latte, or espresso.

Supposedly, the researchers now have badges that, when triggered by means of a finger tap, transmit infrared signals to the new beverage machine. Each badge's infrared signal is unique to the researcher who wears it, and each researcher prefers a particular type of hot beverage. The purpose of the signal is to tell the machine which beverage it should start preparing so that by the time the researcher reaches the machine, the drink is ready.

When it comes to coffee technologies, the Trojan Room researchers are always ahead of their time."

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2001 09:24      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might think, after a while, that the Enterprise's computer might remember that Picard usually liked his tea Earl Grey and hot.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
100%TotallyNude
Geek
Member # 540

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2001 21:47      Profile for 100%TotallyNude   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Why gaze at the tired old coffee maker when you can experience the thrill of milk being steamed for a latte?

Posts: 127 | From: Fresno, WA, 96754 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture