homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » Neuromancer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neuromancer
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 05, 2010 10:23      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
William Gibson's Neuromancer is being filmed! finally a great Scifi book is being brought to the big screen. The producer of Splice and Cube Vincenzo Natali is in charge of the new movie. Should be out in 2011. I am very excited about it.

I don't know why they don't do this more often. There are so many great Scifi novels available and Hollywood keeps repeating the same ideas over and over and OVER!

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2010 10:26      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why they don't...

Sadly enough, too many directors have attempted to do works in the genre, only to butcher it. I am not going to hold my breath that this will be any different.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted June 16, 2010 08:24      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh God, no. I thought Johnny Mnemonic proved you can't film Gibson stories.

That said, if they cast Lucy Lawless as Molly, I might get on board with this concept. AND NO KEANU.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2010 10:00      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I plan to keep an optimistic perspective on the matter. This producer has done good work in the past.

Regardless, I am happy to see some good stories come to film. Too many of the films out now are repeats.

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2010 10:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zorgon wrote:
AND NO KEANU.

Now look what you've done. You've made Keanu sad.

-

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2010 08:16      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sad thing is, Johnny Mnemonic is not the worst Gibson adaptation. New Rose Hotel is MST3K fodder. (Okay, so is Johnny Mnemonic, but at least the plot was kind of followable in that one.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2010 18:54      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Cube is an indicator, then Neuromancer is going to be dreadful. Ridley Scott, in is Blade Runner days, might have gotten away with it.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2010 05:32      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Cube the one with people trapped in a giant Rubix cube type thing where they get dismembered by razor wire and saw blades and stuff trying to escape? If it's the one I'm thinking of, the sequel was even worse. (Hard to believe, right?)

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2010 10:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were two sequels, in fact... Cube 2: Hypercube and Cube Zero.

Cube Zero was not quite as horrifically bad as the first two movies.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2010 11:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of Natali, or the movies above.

So I decided to give in to my curiosity and looked him up on IMDB...

Yeah...

Think I will wait til it is out on DVD.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2010 04:39      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

Yeah...

I think all the movies mentioned (except Neuromancer) are out on video.

Steen: Not as bad as the first two, you say. I'll have to check it out.

I forget, what's the premise behind them being locked in the cube in the first place? (It didn't seem to actually be important to the movie.)

--------------------

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2010 04:50      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

Yeah...

I think all the movies mentioned (except Neuromancer) are out on video.

Steen: Not as bad as the first two, you say. I'll have to check it out.

I forget, what's the premise behind them being locked in the cube in the first place? (It didn't seem to actually be important to the movie.)

That was something that was a bit odd and annoying about the series. the premise changed on each sequel. They sort of got away with it in a "ah, so in fact it's not x it's y!" twist attempt, but really they just over complicated it. As you guessed, the reason why they're there wasn't that important and could really be considered as part of the story. The captives only start getting somewhere when they stop worrying about why they're there and start working out how not to be there.

I actually liked Cube and I vaguely remember liking one of the sequels (possibly Hypercube).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2010 01:32      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:

I actually liked Cube and I vaguely remember liking one of the sequels (possibly Hypercube).

Being bad doesn't make a movie unlikeable. Why, just the other day I was enjoying watching something with a giant claymation pleisiosaur (I think) living in a lake and eating tourists in what appeared to be a remote Adirondack village. Sadly I don't recall the name, but it had these two alcoholic redneck brothers and their boat rental joint.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture