homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » A little place in the country! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A little place in the country!
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 01:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my sister just bought a house in the denver suburbs, she paid alot for a dump. Good luck finding a nice place there, even with the housing market as it is.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 07:51      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denver and Boulder were a couple of places I have looked at from time to time.

Seems like a cool place to live, but housing was/is/always has been expensive there in relation to the rest of the country.

But I am the same kind of sick individual that would enjoy putting some old turn of the century place back together, so in my case dump is a relative term.

I would rather live in an old shack with a lot of freedom to do as I please, than any new development where I have to answer to my neighbors. And this isn't the "Hey <insert name here>, sorry about the lawn, I know it's overgrown right now. I am gonna be mowing it up this weekend." answering to either. I believe that a good neighborhood depends on everyone caring for their stuff. But if I want a blue house, I refuse to live in a place where there is a by-law that prevents from doing so.

Special color palettes, specific watering times, grass heights, car restrictions, etc. etc.

Blech. But oh well I probably won't be buying new digs any time in the next decade so I guess I will live wherever they will allow me to live.

Oh I am looking for cheap rent somewhere in the lower 49. Must accept dogs and I am willing to pay a kid deposit. [Wink]

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 08:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya, Shroom. The worst part about HOAs is that if you paint your house a color they don't like and then refuse to repaint, they take it away from you.

Why the hell would anyone want to live in a situation like that??

Anyway, the mountains are looking more and more out of reach. Not because of uranium, but because 1) we've been told by a trusted friend the power grid up there is very suspicious and for reasons I'm not sure I'm allowed to share, that's Very Bad (and can't be solved with a few UPCs) and 2) hubby's now taken the crazy idea that our cat and any children we might have will be eaten by mountain lions. Okay, yes, there are mountain lions in the area. In fact, every now and then one comes into town. Yes, we know of people who've lost a cat to a mountain lion. But kids? I told him to find me two instances of a child being eaten by a mountain lion in the area in the last five years. I did this because I knew it was impossible. And then after more discussion we both agreed he was being fundamentally irrational but he wasn't going to be able to put the fear aside until the hypothetical kids are big enough to handle hypothetical shot guns. So...yeah.

[Frown]

I had such hopes too. I even found a cute little house painted blue. With sunflowers in the front yard, and an acre or two of land the screw around on. [Frown]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 09:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The people I know that enjoy the idea of HOA's usually consider their houses as investments. Property values and such always come to the table at that point.

My thing is that when we decide to buy (if that day ever comes around again ) it will be for good. So the idea of having freedom to do as I please really is enticing.

I want a shop in the backyard to do my auto and welding stuff. T wants a place with room to start pottery again. Dogs, and free-range kids. The cool stuff like that.

You really aren't able to be that way in many of the newer sub-divisions. Especially in places like So. Cal. I have eyed a few areas that seem more my speed nowadays, but finances are keeping me here in the beautiful(?) Inland Empire. Home of tweeks, wifebeaters and bro-hos.

Sigh, I wasn't too hot on the whole better living through the Latter-Day Saints that Utah offered. But it was nice to have my cake and eat it too out there. Where their idea of a bad neighborhood made me chuckle.

I hope you two can find something nice. here is a thought...

The suburbs sorta took over the outer edges of most areas, so it may not be a bad idea to go prowling around the center of town. Not the recently "revitalized" neighborhoods, but something near one that may be coming up. I have seen a trend where people are snatching up older digs where it was once less desirable and renovating them and making the area nicer.

The reason I said near the recently revived areas is that the properties are still relatively cheap ( for the area ) but in town, and too old for HOA's.

Of course having never been in that area, I am only guessing from what I have seen around other states and cities. And once in a while you can find that spot somewhere between the new and the old with a decent amount of ground space going for cheap because it is not considered the place to be.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 09:54      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of you who want an affordable place in the country -- come here to rural Nova Scotia! It's still one of the cheapest places for real estate in all of North America. Yes, it's a bit quiet, and the roads suck, and winter can be nasty, and there's nothing to do, and you have to drive 90 mins to any decent stores... but... we have wood stoves, and ... and fields... and good fishing... and... am I selling it okay? Seriously, it's awesome, and if you move here we can have a proper LUG, or something. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 10:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ OMG, they have deposits on kids now, where do I take mine to redeem them?

____Here at the HILL TOP the closest house is 1/4mile away. WiFi is about 2-3miles away, and as Xanthine relates power is interruptable, does not happen often but does, we have a huge genset big enough to run the whole house pump water and heat said water with an electric water heater.

____ Wild dangerous critters Bears, Black really herb eaters, Coyotes, and out and out weird o's abound. Spungo I was in disbelief on your claim of coyotes killing humans until I looked up the info, that is scary I do know of people losing cats and small dogs but for two coyotes to take on an adult human?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 10:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan -- the theory is that she did the one thing you're not supposed to do -- i.e., act frightened and start running -- then they perceive you as prey. The trick is to carry a big stick with you, and then go for them if they get near -- then they leg it.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 10:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom, urban blight hasn't really hit Boulder (and Denver is too far away - we work in Boulder). Seriously. Normal middle class people can't live in the center of Boulder unless they want a studio apartment. If you want a house, you've gotta be a millionaire or close to it. Part of the reason for this is Boulder's development rules. Everyone wants to live here because it's pretty. It's pretty because no one save the university has built a building taller than 3 stories since the 60's or so and the city itself is surrounded by open space we tax ourselves to buy and maintain. This makes the quality of life here wonderful - I can literally ride my bicycle or walk to some excellent trailheads and climbing crags - but it also means that new development is very constrained and that keeps prices high. The part of Boulder I live in now is supposedly a bit sketchy and that makes me laugh. Hard.

What I've been finding is that there actually are homes listed that are affordable, not part of a HOA, not total fixer-uppers (on one hand, we would both have a blast fixing up a house, on the other, neither of us has the time to do right by a project home), and in decent locations regarding radiological hazards and proximity to workplaces. They're all out on the edges of Boulder proper or on the other side of the greenbelt, but they do exist. It just takes a lot of searching and sorting to find those places. And yes, they are older (as in built in the 70's or earlier) and the neighborhoods themselves, judging from the trees in the pictures, have also been around for a while. But I'm okay with that. An older house has stood the test of time and should be free of crap like Chinese drywall. And a neighborhood that wasn't planted by a developer in the last ten years isn't going to be as populated by people with their pants in such a twist over property values that someone parking their car curbside or painting their house purple or doing up their lawn in something other than the usual green grass is going to offend them.

I'd like to live in the mountains though. I'm weird enough to fit in up there. :/ But the issue with flaky power is actually deal-breakingly critical.

I have yet to meet a coyote that wasn't way more afraid of me than I was of it. Same with bears. Rattlesnakes also grow here and though they typically make me want to pee myself and dissolve into a puddle of cold sweat, they do give you a warning and then one of you has to back off (or both - usually the snake and I hurry away from each other). I have yet to meet a mountain lion and I hope I don't. Those actually have been known to attack people. In fact, I think I may have even been stalked once up in Rocky Mountain National Park. kreziserb and I were coming back in from a hike at sundown, which is a bad time for mountain lions, and we were separated and I heard something and just felt the hairs on my neck suddenly rise. I also had this terrible feeling that there was something out there, in the trees, so I started singing and running (the idea being I'd convince the cat I'm more trouble than I'm worth) and when I caught up with kreziserb we both picked up the pace and talked very loudly.

Someone else I know had a mountain lion come strolling into their camp one night. He started waving his arms around dancing. The cat stopped, gave him the confused cat look, turned around, and walked off.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 12:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I have a big stick, but seldom carry it out. .38Special. I and the Mrs don't hunt, but on occasion we want to stop some critter from being a bother. Last spring a Raccoon with distemper came into the yard, both of our animals were very curious, when the raccoon had his second episode I dispatched it, and burned the body. Then a call to the vet. to have our critters shot records checked.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 18:45      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<facepalm>

I totally forgot you were in Boulder and not Denver.

Hrmm, I have heard a lot of complaints about housing prices around there too. And of course the uncar-friendly culture. (can't help it, I worry about those things)

Good luck wherever you two land. Home ownership is an adventure.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 18:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncar-friendly in what sense?
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 19:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind you this is only through hearsay, and we know how that can be. But it seems that there are a lot of db regulations and other things that are (in many ways rightly so) in direct response to the hot rod/ bike cultures.

However, I also could be hearing the responses from loudmouths and jerks.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 21:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really can't say one way or the other. I've certainly seen motorcycle clubs come through on rides and I've encountered dirt bikes in some spots as well. You're not allowed to take your dirt bike anywhere you please, but you're not allowed to take your horse or mountain bike anywhere you please either. Nor are rock climbers allowed to just scurry up any face they want.

I can't say I've seen hotrods, but if it's not street legal or allowed in any part of the backcountry I probably wouldn't see it. There certainly is a car culture in the Colorado Front Range, though Boulder may not be one of the hubs. But, FWIW, whatever bitching there is about Boulder's rules, it doesn't make it into the local news. Most of the squawking is bicyclists vs. drivers and that can get pretty ugly and pretty dumb.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 06:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until now my little house in the coutryside was very quiet. But now the cows are out to pasture, with HUGE cowbells. loud ones. I have noticed, of all the farmers int he area, the one I live next to is the only one that still uses cow bells. A few weeks ago it was a nice part of living in the countryside, now, it is loader here thatn in the city, well when the cows are slose by, it is better when they are further off.

Cow bell used to be nessesary to find your cows when they wandered off. BUt nowadays, with that electified fences, cows never get out, it is too easy to keep them in.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 10:02      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
All of you who want an affordable place in the country -- come here to rural Nova Scotia! It's still one of the cheapest places for real estate in all of North America. Yes, it's a bit quiet, and the roads suck, and winter can be nasty, and there's nothing to do, and you have to drive 90 mins to any decent stores... but... we have wood stoves, and ... and fields... and good fishing... and... am I selling it okay? Seriously, it's awesome, and if you move here we can have a proper LUG, or something. [Smile]

But how far is Costco?

And do they give health insurance to merkins?

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 10:05      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
my sister just bought a house in the denver suburbs, she paid alot for a dump. Good luck finding a nice place there, even with the housing market as it is.

What suburb is it? I lived in Denver and Golden for a few years and loved it. It's a beautiful place to live, and the mountains-just can't describe the beauty. Boulder is a wonderful hippie town-you feel like you haven't left the 60's.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 12:35      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

What suburb is it? I lived in Denver and Golden for a few years and loved it. It's a beautiful place to live, and the mountains-just can't describe the beauty. Boulder is a wonderful hippie town-you feel like you haven't left the 60's.
littleton , CO

I forget which one is hers, they all look alike to me.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 03:21      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Littleton the one South Park is based on?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 04:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Isn't Littleton the one South Park is based on?

apparently not, its Fairplay, CO.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 10:56      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Littleton is close to everything, if I remember correctly. Just realized, though, if she's from Switzerland, she won't be all that impressed with the Rockies, will she? D'oh! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 11:29      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Littleton is close to everything, if I remember correctly. Just realized, though, if she's from Switzerland, she won't be all that impressed with the Rockies, will she? D'oh! [Roll Eyes]

She is a Hoosier (as am I) and does like the mountains.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 12:36      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahh....ok. I hope she loves it, then [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture