homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » The Fun Theory

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Fun Theory
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2009 14:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor gave me a lecture recently about my lack of exercise, so now I'm under instructions to walk more, cycle more, and use the stairs instead of the lift whenever possible.

I suppose that's why I liked this video about The Fun Theory so much.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2009 15:00      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness! That is amazing!!!!!

[Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 10, 2009 15:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best piano stairs evar! [Applause]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Double D
Geek Larva
Member # 786

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2009 16:26      Profile for Double D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
My doctor gave me a lecture recently about my lack of exercise, so now I'm under instructions to walk more, cycle more, and use the stairs instead of the lift whenever possible.

I suppose that's why I liked this video about The Fun Theory so much.

So when can I get someone to make my street into a piano so I'll take a walk?

--------------------
--D2--

"Love is the nonpossessive delight in the particularities of the other." -- Dr. James E. Loder

Posts: 20 | From: West-By-God-Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2009 19:21      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really good idea, and the theory they abstract away from it has a variety of uses (i.e., they're going to use it in marketing their cars) [Smile] .
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2009 23:24      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks pretty promising, but I wonder how much of that is because it's more fun and how much is because of the novelty. Leave the piano stairs there for a month and then check again. My hypothesis is that you'd still have an increase in stair users, but much smaller than the 66% reported initially.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 12, 2009 00:25      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have done this differently. Walking down the stairs and hearing a scale being played is boring after one time.

I would set it up so as you walk up or down the stairs you hear a melody. I would also make it so the melody can be changed once a week or so.

And the best part, is to make it so the melody "works" (is not heard in reverse") when you walk on the right side. This way, not only do more people take the stairs, but subconciously, they will walk on the right side so the melody sounds correct, and improve traffic flow!!!

ps

There used to be a "begger/street musician" that played at my train station. Every day as I walked by (at the same time) he was playing the scales on his accordian. I always thought he always arrived in the morning just before me and was warming up, but after a while I figured out he couldn't play anything but the scales and he was relying on that the peopel who walked by would think he was warming up. probably stilll made more in a day as someone who just sat tehre and begged. Or perhaps he got less hassle from teh cops as a street musician.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture