homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » Any Wieners around here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Wieners around here?
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 05, 2009 10:11      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long story short;

Last minute, I got a good deal on a ride to Vienna next Saturday which I took as my wife will be out of town.

Anybody been there, and know what is good for a day in the city? I arrive at 8 and leave at 21:30. I think there is a Wiener that lurks around here somewhere.

I chose Vienna because I want to eat a good (real) Wienerschnitzel. I have no other plans.

Who has been to Vienna? What would you recomend that is not obvious? ( I am going to obviously look on the web for tings to do but I always like to find something that not every tourist does.

Later

Ash

fyi

wiener = a person from Vienna

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2009 10:46      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom-geek lives in Vienna.. Other than that nugget of info, I'm useless.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2009 17:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprisingly, I very much enjoyed my night out at the Vienna Opera.

Dunno if they still do it, but when I was there they made a small number of standing-room tickets available very cheaply, on the day of the performance. It's a magnificent old building, and hob-nobbing it with the cream of Vienna Society was good fun, I felt like James Bond in scruffy clothes.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2009 23:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Surprisingly, I very much enjoyed my night out at the Vienna Opera.

Dunno if they still do it, but when I was there they made a small number of standing-room tickets available very cheaply, on the day of the performance. It's a magnificent old building, and hob-nobbing it with the cream of Vienna Society was good fun, I felt like James Bond in scruffy clothes.

I did the Opera thing in Verona (in an almost two millenia old theater); it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I am not that much into opera. Though I think I am spoiled now, and only want to see operas in Verona. But some classical music is a good idea, I wonder if I can find a mozart concert where I can still make it to the train station by 9? Time to go look...

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2009 10:45      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ashitaka,

I'm a native Wiener. I assume you mean July 11th?
Depending on which train station you need, there might be something fun to do.
Do you arrive/depart at Wien Südbahnhof? Or Wien Westbahnhof?

Hope for good weather, it's been raining almost daily since two weeks. I hope it stops really soon.

For activities, I suggest walking around the inner city to see some architecture. For authentic Wiener Schnitzel, I suggest going to "Die 2 Liesln" - a place my gf and I go to frequently. They serve decent beer and good Schnitzel, although not the best.

Contact me for more info!

Tom

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2009 13:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I arrive/depart Wien West. I am trying to get reservations at Figlmüller to get some Wienerschnitzel. (recomended by a Wiener expat I know)

I plan to wander the old city some.

Is it easy to get a "Tageskarte" for all buses and trams in the city?

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2009 04:18      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ashitaka,

I strongly discourage visiting the Figlmüller.
It's a tourist place. Of all the Wieners I have talked to (and that's-a-plenty), very very very few actually know the place and none have ever been there.
I do realize they are known for huge Schnitzel's from TV-documentaries and tourist guides, but they are not really authentic. Size isn't everything. Besides, they make their Schnitzels in 3 sperate pans, and broil them for 12 seconds total.
This is a totally unauthentic way of preparing Schnitzel. I don't know the prices they are asking, but I'd assume they're charging quite of a tourist-fee.

If you'd like authentic food without tourist rip-off prices, I'd suggest going to "Gasthaus Adam". It's located in Florianigasse 2, in the 8th district. I have been there numerous times, and live close by. They serve old-school Austrian food at fair prices. Quality is decent.
Another alternative you could look into is going to "Plachutta". They are of good quality and serve old-school Vienna food - but are more expensive. They have a few restaurants in Vienna. If you make your reservation now, you should get a table. They are frequently visited by tourists too, but quality is excellent. You should give them a shot.

Yes, it is possible to get a day-card. I'd suggest getting a 24-hour ticket. Keep it with you! I've heard of people throwing it away after they validated it. When you buy the ticket from the machine, you can select if it's valid immediately or "validate later". Choose the option "immadiately valid". I don't know what's selected by default. A 24-hour ticket is 5.70 EUR. Look for ticket machines on the lower level of Wien Westbahnhof. You arrive on the upper level. Just take the escalators downstairs and you should see ticket machines. If not, just ask. The machines have touch screens and can be set to english. Beware though, the Westbahnhof is undergoing construction work, so the layout might be different and it won't look as nice.

I'd be happy to show you around, but I won't be in Vienna this weekend, as I'll be in Graz to help my girlfriend bring some stuff here.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2009 23:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zum die 2 liesln was great, with portions that looked bigger than Figlmüller, though it was a bit much and I wasn't really hungry for dinner 6 hours later. (I walked by figlmüller and stuck my head in the window.)

Plachutta was also great. On the menu is a picture of a cow with numbers on it. You can basically order any peice of the cow. ( Plus, because most of us are not butchers, you know exactly what you are getting,the names of many cuts of meat mean nothing to me, I only know the higher and nearer to the middle is better.)

oh, and I tried bone marrow on toast (instead of butter), it was very good. I had never had that before.

Then I went and saw the museums, natural history, Schatzenkammer, art history, all were very very nice, but no better than what one would find in any capitol city. (sorry,) Vienna was the last "west" european capitol city I had never been to.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2009 02:20      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you enjoyed "2 Liesln".
Yes, Schnitzel is large there, but a lot of bang for the buck. My gf and I usually go there, and take leftovers with us.
What was your impression of Figlmüller when peeking into it? I'd be curious to hear your impression..
Glad you enjoyed Plachutta. It's a must-see, they are one of the few places who still do old-school Viennese cuisine.

Our Museums are indeed not as good as one would expect, I must admit.
Our last hope - our orchestras, opera houses and theaters..

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2009 23:56      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Figlmüller's Schnitzel was one big peice. I don't know what cut they use to get it, and golden brown, darker than normal. Though, I must say the schnitel I had was not as golden brown, but the crust I has was crispy; you never get a crispy crust here in CH. Figlmüller was also packed full without a spare seat at 14:30. I would say mostly older tourists, 50 :50 german speaking non german speaking.

And it's funny you mentioned thier "false" preparation routine. About a year ago, I got it in my head that I wanted to go to Vienna to eat schnitzel after watching a TV program ( Rach der Restauranttester, RTL). In this program he teaches some guy how to cook schnitzel by taking him to Vienna and shoing him the three pan method for cooking schnitzel. I thought, I bet they don't do that here , I WANT REAL SCHNITZEL. you only find schnitzel here on the childrens menu anyways. I don't know if they filmed the TV program in Figlmüller, but the schniztel on TV looked exactly like on the plates at Figlmüller. ( and everyone at the restuarant had a schnitzel.

ps

I love watching Rach; he's like Gordon Ramsay, but: nice, doesn't swear, or have to put other people's cooking skills down to feel accomplished. Who would think a German would be more polite than his English counterpart.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture